Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 08:56 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,216,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I'm not sure why she's responding to an internet troll. Does she respond this way to all comments like this? Maybe someone could recommend just ignoring them to her. Many celebrities just ignore trolls and hateful comments, it seems to work out just fine for them.
The guy chastised her twice on her FB page, sparking other comments from followers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 09:03 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,645,228 times
Admittedly, those pants are pretty unflattering, and probably wouldn't look good on anyone. Although I wouldn't go out of my way to write to her about it (We all get it wrong, sometimes), I don't understand how this is "body shaming." It was a rude insult about her lack of fashion sense.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:37 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,670,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
It is amazing to me that men feel it is their right to criticize how women, whom they do not know, dress.
So, I take it, in your view, his comments would have been fine if only he were a woman.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:40 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,670,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
FFS, a woman can never get it right. Either it's too revealing/slutty, or it's frumpy and unattractive.
It's never too revealing/slutty.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,216,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
So, I take it, in your view, his comments would have been fine if only he were a woman.
No. But IME men do feel free to comment on strange women’s manner of dress. Sometimes I have wondered why news presenters wear certain things, but I’ve never written a letter about it. Maggie Vespa is a first class reporter, by the way. Recently she has been anchoring weekend news. She is quite talented.

I think that guy just does not like high waisted pants. Well, I have news for him, they are in style and are likely to stay in style for awhile.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:26 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,908,106 times
Pants for women all used to be high waisted pants. Maybe this guy is too young to know that the low waisted pants trend was just a trend that lasted for longer than it should have.

I've noticed that the newscasters where I live seem to have very personal interactions with their fans on social media, so that kind of comment wouldn't be very unusual for them, but maybe it is for her.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:54 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,438,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Lol.
That's a rational leap.
Not.

No. It would not have been fine regardless of gender or position or expertise.

Not ok if Versace or Ralph Lauren or Tim Gunn himself says anything rude.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:16 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,346,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
Admittedly, those pants are pretty unflattering, and probably wouldn't look good on anyone. Although I wouldn't go out of my way to write to her about it (We all get it wrong, sometimes), I don't understand how this is "body shaming." It was a rude insult about her lack of fashion sense.
The only one I liked was the high waisted wide legged one. But I'm not criticizing someone on FB because of their choice in clothing. If for no other reason than getting called out on TV.

We have a female anchor here who is rather large busted. She has found a dress that is very flattering to her figure and I see her wear the same dress all the time only in different colors. She either goes to a tailor or else she is a great seamstress. She must have 5 or 6 of this exact dress. I noticed it but I'm certainly not going to message her about it. Some people obviously have nothing better to do these days.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:30 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,351,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rationalexpectations View Post
it's never too revealing/slutty.
Too funny! You dog!

Old 09-13-2019, 08:02 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,997,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
The guy chastised her twice on her FB page, sparking other comments from followers.
Let’s consider another possibility.

News personalities are charged by their employers with making news as well as reporting it.
Take a fake Facebook account, post some insults, and the news person gets to respond and get media attention for her “brave and classy” reply.

Everyone is clamoring for attention these days. These tempest-in-a-teapot Twitter fights that always seem to make the news? Manufactured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty