Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 01:27 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,280,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post
What is the size of your magnetic earrings?

I bought some magnetic studs but they are a bit oversized. I would probably look better in smaller sizes like 2-4mm but I couldn't find magnetic studs in that size.

The problem with piercings is you have to leave them in, I've heard anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months, without taking them out. This means that they would have to be worn to work during that entire time.

I know I would feel the same way if I went ahead and pierced my ears.

Oh wow. So not really a big deal it seems. Awesome.
Yeah, I have worn small ones. Bought 4mm ones, but actually thought they looked a little too big. Maybe I'll eventually work my way into them. But I have been in the 2-3 mm range. Smaller ones are harder to find. I think Claire's sells some small magnetic stud ones online. I wasn't sure if they would be too childish or feminine looking, but they actually have some fairly low key neutral studs.

I have held off on the actual piercing mostly because of the healing process. I also want to ease into wearing the earrings at work first. Maybe just wear them on a Friday first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 09:49 PM

522 posts, read 342,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Yeah, I have worn small ones. Bought 4mm ones, but actually thought they looked a little too big. Maybe I'll eventually work my way into them. But I have been in the 2-3 mm range. Smaller ones are harder to find. I think Claire's sells some small magnetic stud ones online. I wasn't sure if they would be too childish or feminine looking, but they actually have some fairly low key neutral studs.
Oh nice. I will have to look into them if I decide to hold off on piercing my ears.

Quote:
I have held off on the actual piercing mostly because of the healing process. I also want to ease into wearing the earrings at work first. Maybe just wear them on a Friday first.
Yeah that healing process is such a long time. I spoke to a piercer and he said the jewlery needs to stay in for at least 6 months before it can be changed out....and there should be something in there just about all the time for the first 18 months!

Is it not possible to tell that they are magnetic? Any chance they could fall off?

Old 10-16-2021, 01:24 PM

If you look closely in the back you can tell they have magnets not piercings. But, a lot of people thought I got my ears pierced. So I don't think you can tell based on casually looking.

I have tried to look at other people with earrings on to see if they have piercings or clipon/magnets. I can't tell unless they are the big magnetic button ones. Mostly I just get weird looks like why are you staring at my ears.

They have never fallen off. I haven't tried working out in them or something super physical. But I have kept them on in while biking.
I do keep them on when I get my haircut. I was nervous they would fall off while they were being cut. But not an issue at all. Complete non event all around.

Old 10-17-2021, 09:20 AM

522 posts, read 342,776 times
Quote:
If you look closely in the back you can tell they have magnets not piercings. But, a lot of people thought I got my ears pierced. So I don't think you can tell based on casually looking.

I have tried to look at other people with earrings on to see if they have piercings or clipon/magnets. I can't tell unless they are the big magnetic button ones. Mostly I just get weird looks like why are you staring at my ears.

They have never fallen off. I haven't tried working out in them or something super physical. But I have kept them on in while biking.

I do keep them on when I get my haircut. I was nervous they would fall off while they were being cut. But not an issue at all. Complete non event all around.
Ha! I have thought about wearing mine to get a haircut but figured they would fall off lol.

Old 10-23-2021, 08:24 PM

3,263 posts, read 1,742,217 times
I can't help but wonder how a man wearing big hoop earrings can cause such a kerfuffle 175 posts long (and counting !). Don't like big hoop earrings ? Don't wear them or don't date him. Its a personal choice and I've got to admit, a good personal style for the OP. Confidence plays a big part when dressing unconventionally. I should know, I wear a kilt on occasion. Usually at the Highland Games or a Burns supper. Walk in like you own the room and folks are more likely to find you approachable and cool. Slink in sticking to the walls trying to be invisible and folks will think something's wrong. Op's doing fine.

Old 12-21-2021, 04:02 AM

4 posts, read 3,553 times
Default Recognisable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Belmont View Post
Thank you for your response.
It is nice to read that there are more men who are a bit older and like to wear big hoop earrings. Younger men may want to wear these hoops too. But when you aren't married or don't have a girlfriend, that's a bit easier.
Fortunately, my wife has no problem with my earrings. Or thinks that I should not wear big hoop earrings. But I just don't dare. I'm so terrified of the response I would get. I also got respond when I first put on earrings. That were normal earrings, which my friends also had. But they thought it was weird that I also got earrings because they didn't expect me to wear earrings too.
So yeah, what kind of reaction would I get if I should wear big hoop earrings. I don't think it would be accepted at work. But although I would like it, it’s not necessarily wear my big hoop earrings at work. I‘m happy that the earrings I wear nowadays are accepted by everyone.
But how would my family and friends react if I wore earrings that are only worn by women?
On the other hand, I would be thrilled to put in big hoop earrings whenever I want. So I don’t have to hide my passion for these earrings to anyone anymore. But then… would they laugh at me, react indignantly or don't want to talk to me anymore and shut me out because they think I'm effeminate?
I do not know. And I don't want to know either. Or is it. That makes it all so difficult.

Dear Simon,

your response is so recognizable. It also shows how we men are trained or cultured to not look different from what we think is the 'proper' look. It is ingrained in a really deep sense for us that don't really want to stand out. I know I don't want to, but I still want to wear my earrings. I have increased the size to 3 cm and 3mm thick and this looks really good, I think. My wife can live with this size too. Maybe I can increase it to 4mm thick, I am curious as to how that would look. As I am balding my earrings really stand out so I don't need to go larger than this. And I love the feeling of them dangling and touching my skin.
I slowly increased the size of hoops I wear at work and nobody cares about the current ones of 3cm, even though I am the only one with 2 ears pierced.

So, I guess you could slowly increase the size of your hoops and see at which point people start to comment. Wait a while and increase them further.
I still haven't shown my old friends and family my pierced ears, since they live elsewhere. I still feel uncomfortable with the idea of showing them as they only know me without. Really weird these conflicting feelings, but as I can go without earrings I figure, why go through the stress of showing them that you have changed... It's really strange that we need courage to show that we like something that is such a tiny thing, some hoops in our ears. Really strange.

Old 12-22-2021, 04:52 AM

4 posts, read 3,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post
Ha! I have thought about wearing mine to get a haircut but figured they would fall off lol.

Dear both of you,

there's no need to put off ear piercing. In the end you still have to face your own feelings about piercing and the reactions you fear you'll get. As you both seem as sensitive to your environment as I am I can fully relate to your apprehensions. Still, you should go for it as soon as possible so you are done with it. The longer you postpone, the more nervous you get, and it will be for nothing.

Sure, occasionally somebody will respond negatively, others will positively but most people won't say a thing, even though they might think a thing or two about your change of look.

I learned from personal experience that I was the problem, not the people I know, and it is still the case. So, there is no use in postponing this, just start wearing earrings and either enjoy it or not. You can increase the size of the earrings slowly so you get used to them yourself first and then find out that most people don't care. It took me a few years to wear 3cm wide, 3mm thick hoop earrings and these really are the size that I want, maybe a bit bigger. But in the beginning I thought 2cm hoops were huge. But then I lost interest in the smaller ones because I wanted the bigger ones and upgrading caused the same amount of nerves, although it became easier to ignore my nerves.

Still, as I was raised rather conservatively, there are still situations I am not comfortable with wearing earrings, it will probably stick with me the rest of my life. Partly because I postponed wearing for 3 decades and now I have to bear the consequences of that delay.

So, go ahead, take the plunge as soon as possible and just enjoy your new look. And, experiment, it is quite often surprising with what you like most.

Old 12-29-2021, 07:48 PM

Default Earrings on men: becoming more common/acceptable for professionals?

Earrings have long been popular on counter cultural or blue collar men.
The Wall Street Journal recently had an article about professional men starting to embrace small stud or hoop earrings.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/mens-ea...ps-11640108583

Has anyone here noticed this trend in real life?

Old 04-21-2022, 12:39 PM

18 posts, read 27,886 times
Quote:
Earrings have long been popular on counter cultural or blue collar men.
The Wall Street Journal recently had an article about professional men starting to embrace small stud or hoop earrings.

Has anyone here noticed this trend in real life?
Not really yet. I and one collegeue still are the only guys at my department of the University wearing earrings.

Old 04-21-2022, 12:42 PM

50,255 posts, read 47,011,154 times
I have hoops and lots of guys in the office do too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty