Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 01:31 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'd be wary of enriching China. I'll wait till the brick and mortar stores open or buy things I know were made under fair working conditions (e.g. Birkenstocks, made in Germany).
Have you ever even checked how much of your clothes are actually made in China? Hardly any of mine are and China's market share in the global textiles market continues to shrink in favor of countries such as Vietnam, India, Indonesia, and Bangladesh (although the latter recently saw a series of cancellations due to COVID-19).

Plus, many companies have signed the CA Transparency in Supply Chain and the UK Modern Slavery Acts, which means they monitor their suppliers and licensees for compliance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 01:41 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Have you ever even checked how much of your clothes are actually made in China?
Well, none of mine are but I agree with your point that the work has been farmed out to other low-cost countries. That's why I want to physically check labels before I buy, or else buy from a web site that specifies where it was manufactured- not just "imported".

Quote:
Plus, many companies have signed the CA Transparency in Supply Chain and the UK Modern Slavery Acts, which means they monitor their suppliers and licensees for compliance.
I follow news on the BBC, which I consider more credible than most media, and I know that companies are trying to be more careful about their supply chains, how the workers are treated, whether there's forced labor, etc. I just don't trust whatever they're told about their suppliers in China. There's just not enough transparency in that country to trust the information. Do you really think a Uighur worker who's been forced to work in a particular factory and be "re-educated" is going to speak freely, even one-one?

Old 04-25-2020, 02:43 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
I think it is great to buy things like this. The economy needs the money being spent, the people you are buying from would be grateful for it, the point of the stimulus money was also to get people spending on discretionary items.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:56 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,658,020 times
I have spent on a few things, and I even spent a little in the tech sector, as I needed a new hard drive. I found a fair price for it and bought one online...

Old 04-30-2020, 09:56 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Since when is buying clothes not selfish?

But, more to your point, OP, no I don't see any problem with doing so during this pandemic. And the stores you're buying from thank you greatly for doing so.

If we had an issue with supply routes where ordering nonessential things like new clothes meant that essential items couldn't be delivered, etc., then I'd have a different take on things. But I haven't seen anything to support such an impact today.

Staying on topic, I bought a new piece for myself today

Old 05-01-2020, 09:22 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
I just bought 13 shirts from the gap online. Some for summer and some for winter. It was $150 all in.

Old 05-01-2020, 01:28 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
A lot of people are mentioning that shopping now is good for business, but the thing that I'm most concerned about is if it's safe for workers? Does my need to get something at a discount mean that someone else has to go to work in an unhealthy environment and put themselves at a greater risk for infection? Does opening up shops mean that workers have to choose between their health and their job?

Old 05-01-2020, 06:37 PM

1,159 posts, read 620,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a couple items I've been eyeing for months; one is a jacket that caught my eye in March when it was $450, and is now $134. The other is a pair of jeans that caught my eye at $185, and is now $55. I don't *need* either item, though both could be cool and/or come in handy when I'm no longer stuck in the house (or, worst case, next spring).

My question is, is it inappropriate to be buying non-necessities at a time like this? Or maybe it's actually a public good, supporting the economy a little bit? I feel a little guilty, but I also feel like it's stupid to pass on really good deals for things I'd probably buy later anyway and which will probably cost a lot more.

Anyone else having similar thoughts or experiences?
Do whatever you want. Not selfish. Today i went to Target and got some pool toys and candy bags who cares what's going on. Actually I stole them

Old 05-01-2020, 06:41 PM

1,159 posts, read 620,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I bought some things from Venus.com for my vegas trip in September.
No traveling!!!

Old 05-01-2020, 09:24 PM

1,149 posts, read 935,060 times
Anytime you can find a good deal, go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty