Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 06:45 AM

19,717 posts, read 20,244,680 times

Advertisements

Do the freebie blowout.

If I lived in your city, I'd be there in a heartbeat! I could even arrange a truck. The thought of Gucci or Fendi going into a dumpster is kind of killing me right now....lol

I'd start with online promotion. For example, if you're on fb, most cities have groups for sell/buy/trade/free. People have all kinds of time on their hands these days, and they're always itching to get out. What better way to lure them in than with FREE STUFF! You could even try Craigslist, since you're desperate.

But just get the word out, asap. If I were you, I'd make a flier, post it everywhere online, and print/xerox a stack of copies to put around town in some of the businesses with their permission. Word of mouth works wonders, somebody always knows somebody, and you're building good rapport within your community. You want to go where ladies out shopping will see this. They will be your target audience.

I'd even contact some local churches, there are always people in need, and there are always people more than willing to offer their help!

You've got a couple weeks yet, it CAN be done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 07:04 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I had no problem making clothing donations to my local St. Vincent de Paul thrift store. I would think any thrift store would be happy to have freshly cleaned clothing that is covered in dry cleaning plastic. Also these Dress for Success places that provide clothing to women entering the work force who have no appropriate work clothes.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:49 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
How about make a deal with someone to take it off your hands to sell for themselves through Poshmark or other places? No selling by you, just they have to come and take it within a set time frame, they get to keep all the profit for themselves.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:50 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I had no problem making clothing donations to my local St. Vincent de Paul thrift store. I would think any thrift store would be happy to have freshly cleaned clothing that is covered in dry cleaning plastic. Also these Dress for Success places that provide clothing to women entering the work force who have no appropriate work clothes.
the big problem here is there is no work force to enter with the Covid problems. Places are full-to-bursting with "office clothes" because those who do office work are working from home and don't need them and won't need them for another year or so.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:51 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Ill take the Gucci & others...name your price.

Old 08-01-2020, 11:43 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
The Thread Up sounds like a good idea. Selling it yourself, piece by piece, online would be way too much trouble. Buyers have all the time in the world to look over what they bought and find a tiny stain, a pulled thread, a little hole and then want their money back. Or a discount. Been there, not doing it anymore.

Old 08-01-2020, 01:31 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Have you contacted shelters in your area?

Old 08-03-2020, 03:41 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Hello CD Fashionistas

I don't normally post here, but I'm curious about a problem I have. Namely, too many clothes. My wife has a dry cleaning store she's owned for 15 years. It was an existing space well before that as well though. The store is too big for an agency however, and we've decided to move to a more suitable space that's half the size. (Landlords seem to still think they're property is gold).

So we've made a nice cute store and brought over all of the recent clothing....but we've got huge amounts of abandoned clothing (4 years is our cut point). Orders that were brought in for cleaning and never picked up (or paid for). I've called ALL of the clothing donations sites in town and between Covid (really doesn't apply on these things), Covid workers (much more applicable) and full warehouses nobody wants to pick up the clothes.

I've got everything except time and a truck, and soon I'll be out of space as well. Suits, dresses, gowns, slacks, uniforms, blazers, sweaters. It's all going to be dated, but there's some decent brands in there. Gucci, Burberry, Fendi etc.

One thought I had was while we still have the store would be to clean everything else around it, and then open it up to the general public (retail plaza setting) to shop free to get goods...maybe even get some alteration work out of it. However, this might have a stigma as we're actually a dry cleaning place. I also don't want someone looking at a tag from 2004 and then questioning why their dry cleaning from last week was more expensive.

What do you think? Worth it to have a freebie blowout, or rent a dumpster? What would you think if you came to your dry cleaner (we moved next door) and saw them giving away clothes?
I think it makes a lot of sense to take the dry cleaning tag that has the date off and allow people to shop for free to see what you can easily get rid of; then try some of the great suggestions.

My local high school has someone that will take the gowns to give to less fortunate kids. I told the lady I'll take back whatever they can't gift, she never called me back so I assume all the gowns went to a good home. They were a few years old but the styles and colors were timeless.

I wonder if they'd take your business clothes too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Take identifying tags off. Set up a rack on the sidewalk with a large sign stating "CLEANED CLOTHING NEVER CLAIMED. FREE TO A GOOD HOME!" Refill the rack as necessary until you've cleared it out. Oh yeah, check with the city to make sure you can put property on a rack outside your business or whether you need a permit. What will you care about where it disappears to? Probably someone who wants/needs it. They just didn't go to a thrift store to find it.
Great idea. I suggest he call local homeless shelters

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
They just box it and send it overseas who are probably not accepting them with the down economy.

link

link
Thanks for the links. Very interesting. We (hub, son and I) haven't bought new clothing in years (jeans & Tshirts) like most people. My daughter will give to her friends, her kids clothes go to friends or the schools; my 3 year old granddaughters head start puts them on a table for people to take, they even take car seats. My 7 year old grandson's clothes go to the school nurse who either gifts to families in need or she will put on the kids when they soil their own clothes. I just gave one of my daughters friends my grandson's Target jeans from last year for her 2 kids, one is older then grandson, another the same age. My grandson is very tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Threadup is the way to go for this if you want to make money. Just send them your stuff. They sort/donate. Whatever they keep they'll consigns and give you a cut. I think you can print your own label on their site if you want to pack yourself. Or they will send you mailing bags. Macy's also has the bags in store.

I did this, while clothing doesn't sell for lots, purses do well. I have made around $500 this year. I have sent bags, shoes, and clothing.

If your stuff doesn't sell then they will donate it or whatever. But really the best part was you don't have to do anything other than pack it and put it in the mailbox. Your clothing would be great, it is already cleaned!
Threadup

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Links for the OP. Dress for Success and their Donation Drives page

Old 08-04-2020, 06:02 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Facebook marketplace? Pick up only. If you were in my city I'd definitely hit that up looking for classics, free or dirt cheap.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:48 AM

9,137 posts, read 6,185,387 times
This is an excellent time to donate the clothes to a homeless shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty