Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 08:07 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,560,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
It was discontinued?!? Oh no. I know they sell Bain de Soleil at the drug stores, and the package did look different... so what is the kind that they have at the store now?

I think I used SPF 2 of theirs (couldn't find any BDS with no SPF, lol... back when we did not want any SPF). It came in that white bottle.

Yes, bring back that oily orange one!!!
The product line was discontinued last year, so I'm guessing that any available stock is leftover.

Makes me wonder if I should check out Big Lots to see if they have any on the shelves! Sometimes I get lucky and find discontinued items there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 08:17 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
When I babysit my grandsons during the week, 1:00 to 2:00 is Nanny's Tanning Time, which is when I lay out. I put a video on for them while I stretch out on the deck in a chaise lounge covered with Coppertone Oil SPF 6.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:56 AM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Bain de Soleil orange gelee was the best! Even though I haven't "laid out" since my early twenties and wear proper sunscreen (and a hat) these days when I'm out in the sun, I'd love to have a tube of it. Sadly, it was discontinued last year.
It was? I was thinking of buying a tube after reminiscing about it. Sitting in the yard to get some vitamin D, and maybe a hint of color. At least on my pasty legs.

This summer has been so weird. No vacations. No get together with friends. For me, no pool. I thought of spending a little time in the sun. After all, vitamin D. it protects against COVID-19.

You know what's funny? We actually had a word for frying ourselves in the sun. I can remember calling friends on the phone and asking them if they wanted to "lay out" for a few hours.
We all grew up in different parts of North America, and we women of a certain age all know what it means to "lay out".

For me it involved certain equipment. A music source - usually a boom box. The lotion du jour. A cold can of Tab. Mmmm...I loved that artificial, metallic taste. A towel. And a reflector.
It was best to lay out during "prime time" - the hours between 11 AM and 2 PM, and joking with my best friend that we actually felt guilty when we were indoors during that time.

I remember the last weeks of freshman year at college we all laid out on the rook of our dorm, studying and passing around a joint, talking turns buying Tab and Kit Cats bars from the snack and soda machines on the 4th floor.

We all wanted to look good for our return home.

Last edited by sheena12; 08-13-2020 at 10:13 AM..

Old 08-13-2020, 10:27 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,560,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It was? I was thinking of buying a tube after reminiscing about it. Sitting in the yard to get some vitamin D, and maybe a hint of color. At least on my pasty legs.

This summer has been so weird. No vacations. No get together with friends. For me, no pool. I thought of spending a little time in the sun. After all, vitamin D. it protects against COVID-19.

You know what's funny? We actually had a word for frying ourselves in the sun. I can remember calling friends on the phone and asking them if they wanted to "lay out" for a few hours.
We all grew up in different parts of North America, and we women of a certain age all know what it means to "lay out".

For me it involved certain equipment. A music source - usually a boom box. The lotion du jour. A cold can of Tab. Mmmm...I loved that artificial, metallic taste. A towel. And a reflector.
It was best to lay out during "prime time" - the hours between 11 AM and 2 PM, and joking with my best friend that we actually felt guilty when we were indoors during that time.

I remember the last weeks of freshman year at college we all laid out on the rook of our dorm, studying and passing around a joint, talking turns buying Tab and Kit Cats bars from the snack and soda machines on the 4th floor.

We all wanted to look good for our return home.
This whole year has been unprecedentedly odd. My pool time went to zero once COVID struck in earnest (my local indoor pool closed months earlier than usual). In a reverse of what's experienced by most, though, this is the first year since the late nineties that I've had a bit of a tan! I haven't been to a pool and I usually wear long sleeves, pants, gloves, and a hat when I do in-depth yard work, but I've been out to a lake several times. (And very socially distanced!) I also am outside most days for at least thirty minutes watering the garden, hanging out washing, walking the boyfriend's dog, etc. Even with heavy duty sunscreen and a hat, it doesn't take much for me to get a bit of color.

Ha! It was much the same where I grew up even though I'm a bit younger than you (graduated from high school in '94).

It often involved a good friend, two towels (one to lay on; the other to put over the face so it didn't get too much sun), lotion or, for some of us, baby oil, something to drink, something to read, and music to listen to. When we girls would flip over, we'd often undo the back of our bikini tops so that we wouldn't have tan lines going across our backs. Dad would give me and my sister heck for doing that, so we only did it when he wasn't around.

When I first moved to Pittsburgh and was living in the Oakland neighborhood, I used to walk from my apartment to Flagstaff Hill and join the multitudes of other young people who were tanning and socializing there. A friend of mine from Ohio came for a visit my first summer here. When we went to the conservatory that's across the street from Flagstaff Hill and saw all of the people laying out on beach towels, he wanted to know where the pool was! Good times.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 08-13-2020 at 10:42 AM..

Old 08-13-2020, 11:00 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
I've had enough sun to last a lifetime. As a kid, we'd spend all day at the beach. I'd come home red as a lobster go to bed smeared with Noxema and barely able to stand the weight of a cotton sheet on my body due to the pain. As a teenager, I spent hours in the sun covered with baby oil to get as dark a tan as possible on my fair skin.

All this sun damage really caught up with me and I've had some skin cancer that luckily was treated. But there's a big difference in the skin that was exposed to sun and the skin that never was. Back in the day we never knew the damage it could cause and anyone that is still baking in the sun is foolish IMO.

Old 08-13-2020, 01:45 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I've had enough sun to last a lifetime. As a kid, we'd spend all day at the beach. I'd come home red as a lobster go to bed smeared with Noxema and barely able to stand the weight of a cotton sheet on my body due to the pain. As a teenager, I spent hours in the sun covered with baby oil to get as dark a tan as possible on my fair skin.

All this sun damage really caught up with me and I've had some skin cancer that luckily was treated. But there's a big difference in the skin that was exposed to sun and the skin that never was. Back in the day we never knew the damage it could cause and anyone that is still baking in the sun is foolish IMO.
I know what you mean. "Soft as a baby's butt" isn't just a saying -- the skin on my butt or anywhere else that has never seen the sun is soft and smooth. My arms aren't quite full-on leather since I haven't laid out in over three years, but they are still bumpy and rough. I hate when anyone touches me on the arm, they must recoil in horror!

The smell of Coppertone will take me right back to a little girl on the beach in Wildwood, NJ. And later in life I LOVED that Bain de Soleil orange gelee too!

Old 08-13-2020, 09:05 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Yes, I've always gone to the beach because I've lived on or near the beach my entire life.

I also use coconut oil or grapeseed oil (SPF4) and coconut oil (SPF 8) and only use Beauty Counter and Supergoop over the counter sunblocks. Sunblock is horrible for you so no oxybenzones for me.

I've been very tan all my life and my skin doctor checks me every six months. He said because of my dark skin, I'm much less likely to get skin cancer. My husband is also very dark skinned.

I've tanned and hung out at the beach my entire life. As all of my friends and family. My grandfather was the darkest skinned white man I've ever seen.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:56 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
I tan in the sun with my wife every time we go on vacation. But I always put sunscreen on, SPF 30 when I haven't been out in a while, and SPF 15 after I tan twice. In the summer, I always put sunblock on my tattoos when I'm out and about. My tattoo artist told me it would slow the fading of the ink. I don't know if that's true, but I've had them about 11 years so far and they still look great.

Old 08-14-2020, 04:56 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,402,894 times
I don’t tan out in the sun. I can’t avoid getting tan though since I need outdoor exercise.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:36 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
I did up until last year but with the covid-19 I have not gone to the beach at all this year. I wear 30 SPF. When I was younger I used tanning oil.over the last few years I haven't tanned out in the sun as much but in my youth I was always at the beach, pool or in my yard sunbathing almost everyday. I would get a sun burn first then dark tan the rest of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty