Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 07:14 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
The question was the disadvantage of buying second hand clothes.

Oh, got it! So just the piece I picked up is infected? No lice jumping on my clothes I would be wearing, or jumping in my car seats, etc? Got it...

To go back to the original questions--"what disadvantages to buying second hand clothes". Bed bugs and lice are my answers. Not worth the trouble for me. One of my sons caught lice in middle school, luckily we caught it early. It wasn't just about washing his hair and clothes.
OK GiGi, you win. Fear the bugs. It's not going to stop me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 03:34 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,071,154 times
One disadvantage is that I end up having a hodge podge of clothing in my closet which doesn't work well with anything. Although I'll only buy items that are good quality, they're not necessarily the right color, fit, style, etc. For example, I might be looking for a new jacket in a dark color and go out and check the thrift stores to see what's there. Might not find any dark colors. I might run around to a few thrift stores and end up finding something in dark blue, get it home, and find out that it doesn't work well with my skinny pants because it's too baggy and hits my hip at an awkward point. Or maybe I find a sweater that I like, get it home, and then find out that the color doesn't really go with too many of my pants and jackets. I have no issue buying used clothing and I've saved a ton of money over the years for business clothes but you have to shop very carefully and be clear in your head what you need otherwise you are buying clothes only because they're a good deal that you can't pass up. I've ended up giving away a lot of thrift shop clothes because I didn't shop carefully.

Another disadvantage is that you can't return the items. If you buy a pair of pants in a regular store and get home and realize they're just a little too tight, you can return them and get the bigger size. You can't do the same thing with thrift store clothing. They're one of a kind items as well as the fact that the stores do not allow returns.

Old 11-02-2020, 04:00 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
One disadvantage is that I end up having a hodge podge of clothing in my closet which doesn't work well with anything. Although I'll only buy items that are good quality, they're not necessarily the right color, fit, style, etc. For example, I might be looking for a new jacket in a dark color and go out and check the thrift stores to see what's there. Might not find any dark colors. I might run around to a few thrift stores and end up finding something in dark blue, get it home, and find out that it doesn't work well with my skinny pants because it's too baggy and hits my hip at an awkward point. Or maybe I find a sweater that I like, get it home, and then find out that the color doesn't really go with too many of my pants and jackets. I have no issue buying used clothing and I've saved a ton of money over the years for business clothes but you have to shop very carefully and be clear in your head what you need otherwise you are buying clothes only because they're a good deal that you can't pass up. I've ended up giving away a lot of thrift shop clothes because I didn't shop carefully.

Another disadvantage is that you can't return the items. If you buy a pair of pants in a regular store and get home and realize they're just a little too tight, you can return them and get the bigger size. You can't do the same thing with thrift store clothing. They're one of a kind items as well as the fact that the stores do not allow returns.

always check consignment stores as well . I just went to one and they had a very nice selection of clothing , handbags and shoes and other misc as well .I bought a dolce and gabana sweater for 5.00 !!! it is beautiful and the colors on it are gorgeous .

Old 11-02-2020, 05:08 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
I've heard of people bringing home bedbugs in second-hand clothes.

Just be very careful when you bring them home. Leave them tied in a plastic bag and immediately launder them.

Old 11-02-2020, 07:09 AM

513 posts, read 737,162 times
^^^^
I'm fighting bedbugs still after nearly a year, spraying everything in the bedroom as part of weekly cleaning, which seems to keep them at bay.. I really believe I picked them up from some clothes I bought at a Goodwill store, although I've never seen any sign of them except bites every week or two.

Old 11-02-2020, 10:04 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
^^^^
I'm fighting bedbugs still after nearly a year, spraying everything in the bedroom as part of weekly cleaning, which seems to keep them at bay.. I really believe I picked them up from some clothes I bought at a Goodwill store, although I've never seen any sign of them except bites every week or two.
I think we only had one or two in our bedroom and I was able to kill them as soon as I got bites. Hubby had none!

I closed the room off one morning so the dogs couldn't get in, covered my nose with a thick scarf and sprayed House and Garden Raid on the whole carpet (wall to wall). I let it dry for an hour or so, then sprinkled Mule Train Borax everywhere (along and on baseboards, the whole carpet, between the box spring and mattress and along the rails of the bed that hold the box spring, behind dressers, etc)

Then I raked it into the carpet and left it there for a day and a night. (I might have used a broom= can't remember) We wore our slippers to the side of the bed so we didn't get it on our feet and lifted our little dogs on and off our bed to keep them off the floor.

The next day, I vacuumed everything up and we never saw another bite. (never did see the bedbugs)

It worked for me, hope this works for you. Worth a shot! Good luck!

Note: if they are in your whole house, I'm not sure if this will work with spraying Raid everywhere because of breathing issues, but you could try the Borax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty