Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 02:30 PM

6,482 posts, read 4,018,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
GF usually doesn’t like tight fitted or cropped clothes. She generally seems to prefer correctly sized or slightly loose fitted clothes. She lives in Houston, so I’ve never seen her wear a jacket, only sweaters. I got it because she wants one while visiting me up north in winter.
"Correctly fitting" does not necessarily translate to "too large." I can fit sweaters and sweatshirts easily under coats that don't look like a hand-me-down from a big brother.

Is it possible to simply let her choose a coat she likes?

Quote:
Guys, we are in the middle of a pandemic, so I bought it online. If it were non pandemic times I would go with her to buy what she wants.
I’m a Amazon prime member, so within 2 weeks of receiving the package, you can return it if the product is not to your satisfaction.
GF has never criticized me for getting her a gift, and has always told me it’s a sweet gesture.
Then do whatever makes you happy. You asked a question, and we attempted to answer it for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 02:45 PM

29,765 posts, read 34,491,950 times
Quote:
Guys, we are in the middle of a pandemic, so I bought it online. If it were non pandemic times I would go with her to buy what she wants.
I’m a Amazon prime member, so within 2 weeks of receiving the package, you can return it if the product is not to your satisfaction.
And she can provide you with feedback and links to items that she likes online as well. You don't actually have to go shopping with her.

Old 11-10-2020, 02:45 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,059,903 times
Quote:
GF has never criticized me for getting her a gift, and has always told me it’s a sweet gesture.

I guess this is what happens when you ask women for fashion advice. Way more than you bargained for. LOL

It's sweet of you to give her this gift. I hope it all works out.

Old 11-10-2020, 03:33 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,412,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And she can provide you with feedback and links to items that she likes online as well. You don't actually have to go shopping with her.
I kinda wanted to make this a surprise gift. I’ve seen what she wears and have some prior knowledge on how big they are, so made an estimate from there. But then again, I never saw her in a jacket because we always ended up meeting in Houston. She never came up here yet.
Someone here mentioned that sizes tend to vary a lot across brands, so we will see what happens.

Old 11-10-2020, 03:47 PM

8,803 posts, read 5,104,195 times
So hard to buy clothes for women. What is her age? That makes a difference. As long as she can return, you are good. She should appreciate the jesture....most guys wouldn`t bother, with clothes.

Old 11-11-2020, 06:20 AM

3,082 posts, read 2,423,506 times
Quote:
I got my GF a medium size sweater, and I ordered a large size jacket to go with it. Both of these are birthday gifts. Would it be too big for her ? I’m always used to ordering jackets one size up so that they fit over all the clothes you wear underneath. But I’m not sure if women like more fitted jackets as opposed to a more relaxed fit. Will size L be too large for a 5’6” woman ?
If normal means slim and trim, she'd probably wear a small. (I'm 5' 4" and wear a small.) A large is likely going to be too big.

Old 11-11-2020, 07:13 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,412,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
If normal means slim and trim, she'd probably wear a small. (I'm 5' 4" and wear a small.) A large is likely going to be too big.
Normal is not slim and trim. If she were slim, I’d have mentioned that. It seems like the bust for size S would be rather small for her. Don’t want to get into specific details about her shape. In my culture it’s disrespectful to say such things about your GF or wife.

Old 11-11-2020, 07:26 AM

8,803 posts, read 5,104,195 times
Quote:
Normal is not slim and trim. If she were slim, I’d have mentioned that. It seems like the bust for size S would be rather small for her. Don’t want to get into specific details about her shape. In my culture it’s disrespectful to say such things about your GF or wife.
Then how is anyone on here, going to help you. Ask someone who knows her.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:39 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,314,082 times
Buy it. You know she needs it. Honestly, how long is she going to wear it for? Is she doesn't already own something similar, she probably won't wear it in Houston either. She only needs it for a limited time. Your other option is to buy it now and have it shipped to her so she knows how it fits.

Old 11-11-2020, 09:00 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,377,478 times
Well, if she's neither skinny nor fat, at 5-6 it's probably going to be "medium" or "large". But I want to re-emphasize that these size designations have NO OBJECTIVE STANDARDS except that, usually, "Large" is bigger than "medium".

For an example, I am a very average sized man for a North American - in something as ordinary as T shirts, depending on brand I may wear "Medium", "Large", or "Extra Large". I assure you that if you met me you would NEVER describe me as "extra large" (5-9, 180 lbs).

There's also the matter of how the garment is designed. The difference between "Large" and "Medium" can be more in diameter and less in length, or the other way round. Chest vs. waist. Length of arms.

Women's clothing is even less standardized than men's. The only way to know if it's going to fit is to try it on. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty