Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 03:53 PM

433 posts, read 532,564 times

Advertisements

I was just reading a thread about factors that go into the Weather Man's "Heat Index." It reminded me that a few years ago, I was planning a trip to the Philippines and I got some of those supposed "moisture wicking" tee shirts. Gave them a try and couldn't discern any difference. Somehow, I think they may work okay in a climate with low humidity (e.g. Arizona,) but, where the humidity is high--not so much.
Has anybody tried these things and, what is/are your thoughts?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/weat...ind-speed.html

https://www.shirtspace.com/blog/what...cking-t-shirts

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...ure-management

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 04:58 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bound2TN View Post
It reminded me that a few years ago, I was planning a trip to the Philippines and I got some of those supposed "moisture wicking" tee shirts. Gave them a try and couldn't discern any difference. Somehow, I think they may work okay in a climate with low humidity (e.g. Arizona,) but, where the humidity is high--not so much.

They don’t work as well if the air is high humidity ofc but they work super well in gyms & climates with lower humidity IMO. BUT...you have to think about the outdoor temperature & how much you are sweating too.

It’s not a scam IMO...just because it works better in cooler weather...or if the outdoor temperature is cooler than you are.

edit: it’s common sense that if the air is hot & humid..AND you are super sweaty, it can’t pull the sweat away & into the air as easily.

Old 01-16-2021, 05:07 PM

433 posts, read 532,564 times
^^^^^^^^ Thanks!

Old 01-17-2021, 06:14 PM

134 posts, read 118,753 times
I'll give my two cents since I have been living for 5 years now with only enough heat to keep the pipes from freezing...

I've tried it all, cotton, fleece, wool, poly blends to both stay warm and keep sweating away.

My best combination has turned out to be merino wool base layer pants, which do wick moisture, and fleece pants over those. For the top, I could not stand the tightness of either the wool or poly, so stuck with a heavy cotton t-shirt base with 850 fill power down coat over top. If sitting or just moving around the house, I don't sweat and I stay warm. If I am going to do something where I may sweat, I take off the coat because I will get warm fast. I know that the cotton will not wick away any sweating, but capture and retain it making me feel colder! So I take care and watch for this. I took the coat off too late a week ago, and my cotton t had begun to retain sweat, so I quickly changed it out for a dry one.

Now sleeping is a different story. With the down blanket and warm up electric starter blanket underneath, I don't need to wear any shirt in bed, but I do keep the wool and fleece pants on. They will sometimes be quite moist by morning, but once out of bed, the moisture never stays and I never get cold unlike I would with the t-shirt.

Temps in here won't get past 52 F or so until late March, so it has been a learning experience with clothing. I used to wear three cotton sweat shirts with a poly coat over top but, not only would I not only be able to get through the day because I would start getting cold by late afternoon, but the shirts would capture and retain any sweating I did and make me feel colder.

Hope that helps and not too confusing. The bottom line I think is that it all depends on your application. For me, minimal movement in the house and temps between 48- 52 F, the aforementioned finally proves the ideal system for me, but YMMV.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:33 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
Not all moisture wicking clothing is made equal.

UNDER ARMOUR is king but expensive. Carhartt is cheaper and decent but not as stylish. I don't recommend NIKE or Adidas.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:41 PM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
I can't remember what brand I bought, but I got a top and pants from REI. This was maybe ten years ago, I can't quite remember. Anyway, it wicked just fine, but I didn't like the feel of the material. I bet they have vastly improved, but my experience soured me.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:44 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
Coolmax is the trademark for the fabric. They're very common for cycling, running, and other sports. They don't absorb moisture as much as regular cotton, which helps them dry faster.

Old 01-18-2021, 06:50 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
I love moisture wicking clothing. It really feels much better than cotton materials especially in hot weather. With cotton clothing it absorbs sweat and stays there for a long time. Moisture wicking evaporates much quicker and breathes better as well.

Nike Dri Fit was my introduction to moisture wicking clothing (Goretex was around then as well but more for things like jackets).

Been hooked ever since and though I like Under Armor, Target also makes nice moisture wicking clothing (Champion).

Old 01-18-2021, 07:24 PM

894 posts, read 2,202,021 times
I never bought into it until I spent a week in Florida. Being from Arizona, even if I took a dunk in a canal with clothes on, I would be dry in 30 minutes. After 2 days in Florida wearing cotton underwear, I bought a pack of moisture wicking underwear, and it was instant relief. No more riding or chafing. Now, it's all I wear, even in the winter time.

Old 01-18-2021, 07:48 PM

5,987 posts, read 3,727,800 times
Moisture wicking clothing is GREAT under many different circumstances, especially if you are going to be doing anything even resembling moderate exercise. Cotton clothing is a big "No-No" because it holds moisture like a sponge and makes you miserable in hot weather and can cause you to freeze when outdoor in cold weather.

I quit buying all cotton underwear 40 years ago, and that includes shorts and tee shirts. Nearly all of my clothing is at least 50% synthetic material (usually polyester) because it breathes much better. In addition to better breathability, the synthetic material doesn't shrink like cotton and usually doesn't need any ironing.

If I'm just lounging around the house, I may wear a pair of cotton jeans and a cotton shirt, but if I plan to do anything resembling physical activity or go somewhere where it's hot and humid, I shed the cotton rags and put on something more breathable and more suited to the environment and conditions I'm in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty