Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 02:38 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times

Advertisements

In the Pacific Northwest... the college and high school kids wear the flip flops but the adults wear Teva-like waterproof sandals... the ones that stay on your feet. Rafters is another brand... Chaco's are common... and Merrell are making some now... Reef and Keen are other popular brands.

Dirty feet are gross and unsanitary. If you're wearing those flimsy little flip flops around town, or even those thong sandals - you have dirty feet even if they look polished and tan or whatever. I see guys spit on the ground all the time, and then people walk over it with nothing but flimsy flip flops... you've got animal waste/urine bird poo and human spit and pesticide residue and who knows what else all over your feet. Gross. Then you walk into your home or car or wherever and you bring that stuff in with you. Do you wash your feet before you get into bed or walk around your living room or sit around on your furniture? We all should. It's kind of gross when you really stop to think about it.

We have a shoes off at the door rule, but still I'm sure we track some of that outside yuck in.

You might not be able to see it, but it's all there. Of course - anybody who wears flip flops - run a baby wipe over your feet after a day of walking around in them... you'll see what I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 06:51 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
I'm from NJ and I'd say flip flops are big with younger people (25 and younger). I rarely, if ever, see older people than that wearing them. On my college campus, they are HUGE. Like Miamiman said, they are mostly worn in the summer, but they are worn during warm spring/fall days too. I have also seen a few idiots wearing them during the winter as well.

I don't mind flip flops. But I do mind Crocs! They are the ugliest shoes I've ever seen!
I live in New York- I see people of all ages wearing them- even men. I think they will always be stylish- and you can get them in trillions of colours. I <3 my flipflops til I die!

Old 06-24-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
In the Pacific Northwest... the college and high school kids wear the flip flops but the adults wear Teva-like waterproof sandals... the ones that stay on your feet. Rafters is another brand... Chaco's are common... and Merrell are making some now... Reef and Keen are other popular brands.

Dirty feet are gross and unsanitary. If you're wearing those flimsy little flip flops around town, or even those thong sandals - you have dirty feet even if they look polished and tan or whatever. I see guys spit on the ground all the time, and then people walk over it with nothing but flimsy flip flops... you've got animal waste/urine bird poo and human spit and pesticide residue and who knows what else all over your feet. Gross. Then you walk into your home or car or wherever and you bring that stuff in with you. Do you wash your feet before you get into bed or walk around your living room or sit around on your furniture? We all should. It's kind of gross when you really stop to think about it.

We have a shoes off at the door rule, but still I'm sure we track some of that outside yuck in.

You might not be able to see it, but it's all there. Of course - anybody who wears flip flops - run a baby wipe over your feet after a day of walking around in them... you'll see what I'm talking about.
tevas are out like yesterday's garbage....ummm, tevas were popular in 1992...maybe.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:54 AM

602 posts, read 1,962,995 times
Per Urban Legends Reference Pages, Crocs have also caused some serious injuries on escalators.

People around here really, REALLY like flip-flops. Sometimes it's all I can do to hear someone speaking, over the "thwackaTHWACKAthwacka" of people walking down the street. It's like a constant ping-pong game.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaK View Post
In Hawaii, they let children wear them to school! I had never heard of such. always made my kids wear close toes shoes with socks to school, safety reasons for the playground and stuff. Then I went to the their school, ALL the kids were wearing them, and the teachers too! I loosened up a bit, ,still think its weird.
They also call them slippers here, as in "rubbah slippahs"

In Hawaii
Kids have worn flip flops to school even when I was wee lil lass and that was a long time ago. I don't understand why you find that so weird.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:46 PM

3 posts, read 6,621 times
Flip flops are worn here. No problem.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:13 AM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Heck yeah, this is California!!

Old 06-28-2008, 07:18 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Yes to flip flops in east Tennessee.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:23 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Flip Flops being used more than for the feet
Queen of the desert on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/morgspace/413300943/ - broken link)
Those aren't flip flops. They're called thongs.

That's a pic from Priscilla Queen of the Desert, an Aussie story.

Here we all wear thongs, actually I live in thongs and can't stand when the winter comes and I have to wear shoes. If I could get away with being barefoot I would, but I have all kinds of thongs, fancy ones as well as casual ones and I wear them 7 or 8 months of the year.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:09 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Ok, you made me laugh! Are you really that paranoid about dirt??? I thought I was bad. Your feet aren't going to get any dirtier with flip flops than they would with sandels and even morepeople wear sandels!

I live in SC and people wear flipflops if the weather is warm enough. Young, old and in between. They are cool, comfortable, and my feet stay about as clean as they would in any other shoe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty