Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 01:06 PM

501 posts, read 1,946,604 times

Advertisements

I sorta feel like my problem with flip flops at work is it just brings the level of...sophistication...down a bit at the workplace. Yes, casual wear can include sandals, and I'm not opposed to sandals with no backs or sandals in general...heck I love a nice pair of sandals...just the foamy flip flops I have an issue with. That's what I consider common "flip flops". I've seen nicely constructed and attractive flip flops that actually have a "shoe" feeling to them opposed to public shower shoe feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 01:09 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,531,596 times
A lot of people wear flip-flops where I live (Arizona). I think sandals are more appropriate for the desert, not flip-flops. Flip-flops are for the beach, pool, and/or shower.

I can't stand when women wear a beautiful spring dress in flip-flops....ARRRRGGGHHHH!!! Not right!! Just regular sandals with a heel are better for spring dresses.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:13 PM

Default This is what I mean...

"Flip Flops" versus "Thong Sandals"...
Attached Thumbnails
Do people in your area wear flip flops?-flip-flops.jpg   Do people in your area wear flip flops?-thong-sandal.jpg  

Old 06-05-2008, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,064 times
Default austin texas heat

It's not even officially summer yet and we are on our third day of 100+ temps... heck ya we were flip flops all the time. That said I do agree that there is a time and place that flip flops are not approriate and honestly I think people that wear then constantly should invest in some that are a little better constructed then the rubber flip flops from the dime store. Some nice leather flip flops look a lot less trashy.

also tolerance might be in order. I once had a boyfriend that wore sandals all the time except at work. It bothered me for a few months when we started dating...then we were at a bbq on a weird weather day in which it was maybe 40 degrees and drizzly...we were standing outside and there he was in his sandals. I felt his toes to see how cold they were cause he refused to admit his feet were cold....his toes were hot as heck... His feet put off so much heat he must have been misearable in shoes. After than it didn't bother me any more.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
A lot of people wear flip-flops where I live (Arizona). I think sandals are more appropriate for the desert, not flip-flops. Flip-flops are for the beach, pool, and/or shower.

I can't stand when women wear a beautiful spring dress in flip-flops....ARRRRGGGHHHH!!! Not right!! Just regular sandals with a heel are better for spring dresses.
Totally agree! The WORST I've seen...a bride wore flip flips down the aisle! (Granted, her feet were "hidden" under her dress but still...)

I'm 24 so I don't think anyone can say I'm "old school" but I seriously feel like over the years people have tanked when it comes to personal grooming and personal care when exiting the house. Flip flops is just another tool to look unkempt.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:26 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,478,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeleenieWeenie View Post
They are sandals, but make noise. So do spike heels make lots of noise: "Clck-clack-click-clack"...But nobody is complaining about those are they? Of course not; men like them! Macho-bosses who want an old fashioned Jennifer sort of secretary with boobs, and stripper hi-heels!
LOL I talk about that all the time! And not many people seem to notice those things either,but it is annoying.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:39 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,299,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadybug View Post
Since I'm not a sun worshipper, I've maintained youthful feet and face+neck (people can't believe I'm thirty-eight!) but also I think it has to do with the size of a foot and shape of toes+nails. I wear a size 5 in women's and have a high arch. My eleven-year old-adopted daughter wears a size 11 in ladies!!!! And unfortunately she also has flat feet and a mis-shapen/thick toenail from birth. I think (in my worthless opinion)It really depends more on genes, sun, and health!!
I agree with you on sun. My mom was a sun worshipper. She drug me to the beach almost every weekend (grew up on the Tx Coast)... just so she could tan. It shows in her skin, and even though she was still quite a looker in her 40s her skin was "rough" looking.

I saw this and went the other extreme, avoiding the sun like a vampire. Yeah I'm white as a sheet but I look much younger than 36.... and as for my feet... I have big feet but they're in proportion to the rest of me (5'8", large frame) and I still have high arches and a good "foot shape".

Plus, my feet don't stink. Not everyone's feet stink! It depends on footwear, whether you wear socks or not, etc.

I do my own pedicures though.. too cheap to pay someone, and I get the same results at home.

As for the original question, yes, people wear flip flops here all over, all the time. I'm in San Antonio, TX. I wear them, because I hate shoes in general but need something to walk on hot asphalt/pokey grass, but I would never wear them to work. Most places I've worked, you can't even wear open toed or open backed shoes of any sort.

Then again people wear houseshoes/slippers out in public and even pajama pants!

Old 06-05-2008, 02:14 PM

542 posts, read 1,099,805 times
Default I thought I was the only one that had a problem w/it!

I ABSOLUTELY hate hearing flip flops in the office. Here in NYC, women can't wait to show off their pedicures and they start wearing flip flops in March (it's not so warm here in March) until it practically snows.

I think flip flops are totally inappropriate in the office, but apparently i'm wrong b/c what do i see once i leave the subway & walk down times square?? hundreds of women in SUITS & FLIP FLOPS!! or a nice button down shirt, pencil skirt and FLIP FLOPS!! Since when is this ok? and if these women can wear flip flops with their suits, why can't i wear sneakers occasionally?

Old 06-05-2008, 03:52 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNative View Post
"Flip Flops" versus "Thong Sandals"...
I never see anyone where I live wearing flip flops, except at the pool or at their houses. I wear them at my house and at the beach. But cute thong sandals are very big here and always have been - wore them when I was in elementary school - in fact, the big thing here in CLT is having many different types of thong sandals - cute ones in different colors.

But they are leather and do not make a sound like flip flops nor do they look like flip flops. I have paid $125 plus for a nice pair of leather thong sandals.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I never see anyone where I live wearing flip flops, except at the pool or at their houses. I wear them at my house and at the beach. But cute thong sandals are very big here and always have been - wore them when I was in elementary school - in fact, the big thing here in CLT is having many different types of thong sandals - cute ones in different colors.

But they are leather and do not make a sound like flip flops nor do they look like flip flops. I have paid $125 plus for a nice pair of leather thong sandals.

Where do you live??? Sounds like a fashion wonderland!

Yes...the price tag I think is how this fashion faux pas (IMO) came to be...flip fops are SO much cheaper than a decent pair of thong sandals.

**I read the other thread on area "uniforms" and I see you're from South Charlotte? That sounds like my perfect "dress code" style!

Last edited by MNNative; 06-05-2008 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: **Thoughts**
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty