Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 09:55 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times

Advertisements

If you’re meeting with a client, tucked in is the way to go, unless it’s a well known acquaintance, in which case, you could probably get away with a slightly sloppier look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 10:34 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,003,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
There's several YouTube videos on proper fit of shirts like t-shirts as well as polo's or other semi 'dressy' shirts when they are untucked. The bottom hem should go no lower than around where the top of your side pockets start. Anything lower and it looks plain sloppy and ate up.

I don't tuck my shirts in unless I'm wearing a suit (obviously). So pretty much most of the time I only wear t-shirts and polo types since we don't have any formal dress code in our work space outside of the obvious nothing with offensive type slogans or anything racy.
Great advice.

I used to be responsible for wardrobing for TV/film, so worked a lot with fashion through my years. Firstly, it depends on the dress code of your office. If it's a dress pants & tie culture, then tuck it in... (basically, if you need to wear a tie, tuck it in).

Which type of biz? Advertising, architecture, design have more leeway... with conservative biz's, real estate, banking or corporate settings, less creativity is appreciated & expected.

What kind of clients are you meeting? When I used to meet with clients, my dress style mimicked theirs. If unsure, I wore a suit & would take off my jacket if too dressy.

What does everyone else where when meeting with clients, in particular, your bosses? I'd follow their lead. It's more important to make an impact on your clients & bosses... what they deem as professional might affect your wallet insofar as raises, promotions.

The shirts are great, but answer all the q's above & decide. Maybe they're better left for casual days or in your personal life. You wouldn't want to struggle through a sales pitch cuz clients/bosses felt your more casual wear meant taking their biz less seriously.

Not critiquing you... I'm a girl & always found it hard to conform in the corporate world. I had red suits, pink, powder blue & worked in sea of brown & navy blue, but learned to compromise. Basically, my rule of thumb was, if I had to ask if it were appropriate to wear to my stuffy offices, then it was, so leave it at home & wear it out with friends.

Good luck! I'm sure you look great either way... tucked in or out.

Old 02-16-2021, 06:31 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
I don't think it's necessarily a sloppy look, though it is certainly more casual.

They key however is that not just any button up shirt can be worn untucked. Most can be too long and boxy. It needs to be a shorter more tailored shirt, like the ones that Untuckit sells (as OP mentioned).

Scroll about halfway down this page to see the difference: https://www.untuckit.com/pages/about-us?is-loading

Old 02-16-2021, 06:36 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,533,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Great advice.

I used to be responsible for wardrobing for TV/film, so worked a lot with fashion through my years. Firstly, it depends on the dress code of your office. If it's a dress pants & tie culture, then tuck it in... (basically, if you need to wear a tie, tuck it in).

Which type of biz? Advertising, architecture, design have more leeway... with conservative biz's, real estate, banking or corporate settings, less creativity is appreciated & expected.

What kind of clients are you meeting? When I used to meet with clients, my dress style mimicked theirs. If unsure, I wore a suit & would take off my jacket if too dressy.

What does everyone else where when meeting with clients, in particular, your bosses? I'd follow their lead. It's more important to make an impact on your clients & bosses... what they deem as professional might affect your wallet insofar as raises, promotions.

The shirts are great, but answer all the q's above & decide. Maybe they're better left for casual days or in your personal life. You wouldn't want to struggle through a sales pitch cuz clients/bosses felt your more casual wear meant taking their biz less seriously.

Not critiquing you... I'm a girl & always found it hard to conform in the corporate world. I had red suits, pink, powder blue & worked in sea of brown & navy blue, but learned to compromise. Basically, my rule of thumb was, if I had to ask if it were appropriate to wear to my stuffy offices, then it was, so leave it at home & wear it out with friends.

Good luck! I'm sure you look great either way... tucked in or out.
I work in higher education (community college) and I work in the business office. My VP is mainly business casual. He may wear khaki's, sneakers, and a sweater.

Sometimes he will wear a suit and tie when he has executive meetings. He told me he really didn't care what I wore as long as it was not shorts and a tank top. However, I'm curious as to how to wear my shirts.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:04 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My husband doesn’t tuck, because he thinks it makes him look fat. My opinion is, he is just as fat either way and it’s not fooling anyone. He is a healthy weight, but he does have a pot.
After viewing the pics of a high school reunion (class of '77 for reference) I side with your husband. I had a tucked in sport shirt and others had them out. I'll let you guess which of us had their gut showing the most in the pics.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:03 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,969,584 times
No matter a man's physique, I like the untucked look. Hubby wore a suit and tie every day of his working life and now that he works from home in comfortable clothes, I love it and so does he. Dressing up for him now is a subdued print or dark colored Hawaiian shirt, neatly pressed and definitely untucked. On the other hand, I love having the opportunity to get dressed up which doesn't happen too often now.

Old 02-16-2021, 03:01 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
If you want to look like a retired dentist or barber living in Florida, go ahead.
Perfect description.

That company on TV has tried, but it isn't going anywhere with the sloppy/lazy/hide the gut (it doesn't)look.

Nope. DOA concept. But nice try.

Throw it in the bin with the backward hat look. Guys are still trying, and it still makes a certain statement.

There's a look ! Untucked shirt. Hat on backwards. Sneakers. "Hi mom and dad; this is Ralph".

"Nope, Honey. No"

Old 02-16-2021, 03:44 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Tucked in looks more professional, to me. Unless the guy is 250 lbs overweight. Then a tent.

Untucked looks sloppy and unkempt. Like they don't care about them self, or the company they represent. Would you want to do business with a slob?

Be the same as a "large" woman wearing a bra vs. not earing a bra...in a corporate setting.

Once they get home, they can "unleash the girls" all they want.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:15 PM

433 posts, read 532,668 times
yo prefiero---
https://tinyurl.com/xvdhu64y

Old 02-16-2021, 05:23 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,003,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
I work in higher education (community college) and I work in the business office. My VP is mainly business casual. He may wear khaki's, sneakers, and a sweater.

Sometimes he will wear a suit and tie when he has executive meetings. He told me he really didn't care what I wore as long as it was not shorts and a tank top. However, I'm curious as to how to wear my shirts.
It sounds as if that's license to do what you like.

Maybe dress up a bit more (tucked in) for client meetings but go more casual otherwise? Then, pay attention to any comments that may come your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty