Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 07:54 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,969,584 times

Advertisements

The white ones are infused with super powers to grow fast, long and strong and never seen by you until you've been properly embarrassed by them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 08:20 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Actually, no. Tweezing or waxing hair actually makes it come back stronger. Electrolysis is the way to go.
That's not true. Nor does shaving. Common misconception.

Old 04-10-2021, 12:07 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Why & how does that happen?
Referring to the tendency of hair to come back stronger after it is plucked for some reason - in general the body will respond to stress by strengthening the stressed body part. Work hard with your hands, grow calluses. Stay out in the sun, get a suntan. Lift weights, grow muscle. Pull a hair out, and realize the hair you pull out is not living tissue - you stimulate the follicle to grow stronger, to resist having the hair pulled out again.

That's a simplified explanation, my actual expertise is in nuclear engineering, not dermatology.

A related idea is that shaving a hair makes it come back thicker (causation) . This appears true on the face of it, if a hair just starts to grow, the beginning of the shaft is quite thin and it gets thicker as the follicle gets into "full production". So if you cut the thin end off, the hair that emerges from the pore is indeed thicker than before you shaved it (correlation). But that part of the hair was going to be thicker regardless if you shaved it off or not.

Old 04-10-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Referring to the tendency of hair to come back stronger after it is plucked for some reason - in general the body will respond to stress by strengthening the stressed body part. Work hard with your hands, grow calluses. Stay out in the sun, get a suntan. Lift weights, grow muscle. Pull a hair out, and realize the hair you pull out is not living tissue - you stimulate the follicle to grow stronger, to resist having the hair pulled out again.

That's a simplified explanation, my actual expertise is in nuclear engineering, not dermatology.

A related idea is that shaving a hair makes it come back thicker (causation) . This appears true on the face of it, if a hair just starts to grow, the beginning of the shaft is quite thin and it gets thicker as the follicle gets into "full production". So if you cut the thin end off, the hair that emerges from the pore is indeed thicker than before you shaved it (correlation). But that part of the hair was going to be thicker regardless if you shaved it off or not.
You might not be a dermatologist but that's the best darn explanation for this age old conundrum that I've ever heard.

Old 04-10-2021, 04:10 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
You might not be a dermatologist but that's the best darn explanation for this age old conundrum that I've ever heard.
Well I have fought this issue a few rounds in my life, unwanted hair on my back, back of neck, and a (formerly) receding hairline, at least at the temples. And, ear hair. Nothing says gross old guy like hairy ears! And, to look at me today, particularly with my long COVID hair, you might well figure I won that fight. Hair on my scalp, not on my back or ears.

Been on finasteride (Propecia) and minoxidil (Rogaine) since they came on the market, with apparently good results.

Have spent enough on professional electrolysis to buy a decent used car, over several years. Have also used a simple little hand tool that I found in my girlfriend's (at the time) Cosmopolitan magazine. I can't seem to find them online. This is a straight DC tool run by a battery, with a spring loaded probe so you have to be quite ham-handed to do any harm. But a single hair like on the nose, it works great. It will remove about 1 hair per minute, maybe up to 2 if you get good with it. A pro will be removing about 5 to 7 hairs per minute.

Then you have laser hair removal which is professional only, usually associate with a dermatologist. I have never tried it but I understand it will work.

Anyway, to remove unwanted hair, you have shaving, which is easy and cheap, but has to be done almost daily if you want a truly hair free appearance. Then you have various techniques to pluck the hair out, this does last longer than shaving but again I caution you in some cases the hair grows back thicker. Then you have electrolysis, the old standby, either DIY which is cheap but very slow, or professional which is faster but still time consuming, painful, and expensive. Then you have laser, which is faster than electrolysis, but possibly more expensive. When you look at how laser can remove hair over an area rather than one at a time, while the per hour cost may be more than electrolysis, it may be more cost effective actually.

Old 04-11-2021, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Well I have fought this issue a few rounds in my life, unwanted hair on my back, back of neck, and a (formerly) receding hairline, at least at the temples. And, ear hair. Nothing says gross old guy like hairy ears! And, to look at me today, particularly with my long COVID hair, you might well figure I won that fight. Hair on my scalp, not on my back or ears.

Been on finasteride (Propecia) and minoxidil (Rogaine) since they came on the market, with apparently good results.

Have spent enough on professional electrolysis to buy a decent used car, over several years. Have also used a simple little hand tool that I found in my girlfriend's (at the time) Cosmopolitan magazine. I can't seem to find them online. This is a straight DC tool run by a battery, with a spring loaded probe so you have to be quite ham-handed to do any harm. But a single hair like on the nose, it works great. It will remove about 1 hair per minute, maybe up to 2 if you get good with it. A pro will be removing about 5 to 7 hairs per minute.

Then you have laser hair removal which is professional only, usually associate with a dermatologist. I have never tried it but I understand it will work.

Anyway, to remove unwanted hair, you have shaving, which is easy and cheap, but has to be done almost daily if you want a truly hair free appearance. Then you have various techniques to pluck the hair out, this does last longer than shaving but again I caution you in some cases the hair grows back thicker. Then you have electrolysis, the old standby, either DIY which is cheap but very slow, or professional which is faster but still time consuming, painful, and expensive. Then you have laser, which is faster than electrolysis, but possibly more expensive. When you look at how laser can remove hair over an area rather than one at a time, while the per hour cost may be more than electrolysis, it may be more cost effective actually.
What is a "DC" tool?

Old 04-11-2021, 04:32 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,823,674 times
I can't grab it with the fine point tweezers. Gonna have to try something else.

Old 04-11-2021, 05:14 AM

How about a blackhead remover tool? They have a little round open circle on the end and you press it down on the area. Maybe the hair will pop up a little bit so you can grab that sucker!

Old 04-11-2021, 05:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
The white ones are infused with super powers to grow fast, long and strong and never seen by you until you've been properly embarrassed by them.
LOL you are right about this. I have three crazy white hairs (thankfully none on my face - yet). Two are on either shoulder, like little wings, and one is on my forearm. They will be MIA for MONTHS, though of course I check for them all the time because WHO KNOWS WHEN THEY WILL DECIDE TO SHOW UP? Then BAM - suddenly they will just sprout and grow apparently overnight. It is the craziest thing ever.

They are very thin, and the two on my shoulders add insult to injury by also being curly. At least the arm hair is straight and just like "Hey, good friend, here I am again - waving at you!" BE GONE!!!!!!

Old 04-11-2021, 07:03 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
That one that wasn't there when you left the house in the morning?
And by noon you look in the mirror and it's an inch and a half long?
And growing in the wrong direction?
And it's white?

And you've just been introduced to a new person?
Witch hairs. Stay away from Salem,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty