Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 01:28 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Corsets are still sold - for women who want to improve their silhouette. They just don't look the same.
I have one at home to wear with my formal long gowns. The gowns are fitted and corset makes them look flawless.

BTW: anytime I wear dress or skirt, I also wear pantyhose no matter how hot is outside. Even when I am free to choose, I simply don't like to go bare-legged (except when wearing long dress/skirt for a beach kind of outings). Real 100% silk in Summer keeps my legs cool.

I wear bike shorts under dresses. I just don't like the feeling of 'naked' under a dress. Plus, I had an unfortunate incident many years ago, where all I had on, under a dress, was pantyhose...and my dress flew up over my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2021, 05:40 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I wear bike shorts under dresses. I just don't like the feeling of 'naked' under a dress. Plus, I had an unfortunate incident many years ago, where all I had on, under a dress, was pantyhose...and my dress flew up over my head.
surely youd be wearing knickers.

Old 10-22-2022, 11:46 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
So we're watching "Outlander" and in that era, all the women wore corsets. When asked in an interview about what clothing made the actor feel most "in character", the answer was putting on the corset.

This actor who played Claire, is a former runway model and very thin so why would she even NEED a corset, even in the past? She probably doesn't even need a bra, though my understanding is the corset functioned as a bra.

Was there any reason for a thin woman to wear a corset?

I'm old enough to remember my mother wearing a girdle but she had a belly from childbearing. Later in life she quit wearing it...
I think that all women wore corsets. They wouldn't have been considered properly dressed otherwise. They may not have fat to cinch, but they had rib bones to cinch, and that's what corsets did. There was no such thing as too small a waist. Remember that Scarlet O'Hara's waist in GWTW was 18" with a corset on?

Corsets weren't so much for the belly (dresses were full from the waist down, so the tummy was hidden). It was for the waist and posture. They wore little teddy things under the corset that went up to cover the breasts, with sleeveless straps....a sort of thin bra. At least at one time they did.

Some women even slept with the corset, in order to keep their waists small.

Old 10-22-2022, 11:53 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
It would have been considered scandalous to be in public without a corset no matter your weight.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-19-2022, 02:52 AM

1 posts, read 417 times
Abby Cox has some excellent videos you might be interested in. She has a video on her experiences wearing 18th century garb working at Colonial Williamsburg for 5 years. She also has one talking about the inaccurate perception that the average woman was tightlacing or otherwise tiny sizes compared to modern women.

Some have already mentioned stays/corsets purpose in giving the fashionable shape of a period, propriety regardless of size, as well as helping support the weight of the layers worn.

Old 11-22-2022, 10:44 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
it makes your posture better

Old 11-23-2022, 03:44 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
My grandma was born in the 1880s and she wore a corset also. Mom said she had a sixteen inch waist.

She died at sixty-three of stomach problems. I've often wondered. . .
I remember reading years and years ago this article on what the Gone-With-The-Wind type corsets did to women's insides. It was common for the uterus to eventually descend because the tight corset would push it down and out. The article was very graphic about specifics re what was going on inside the body.

I also remember then feeling as if my head was swimming at the idea of my uterus coming out, and I stood up and almost fell over.

Old 11-28-2022, 08:19 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Recognizing this is an old thread, and this isn't one of the forums I usually view, one of my grandmothers wore a corset until she was well over one hundred years old. She had been in an auto accident with a train, and the corset helped keep her spine in place. Ad Freud said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

Old 11-29-2022, 04:55 AM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I remember reading years and years ago this article on what the Gone-With-The-Wind type corsets did to women's insides. It was common for the uterus to eventually descend because the tight corset would push it down and out. The article was very graphic about specifics re what was going on inside the body.

I also remember then feeling as if my head was swimming at the idea of my uterus coming out, and I stood up and almost fell over.
I specifically remember my 10th grade science teacher told us about that! A horrifying thought.. All these years later, I don't remember anything much else about that class but that story, lol..

Old 11-29-2022, 08:40 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

oh, that's how I can get rid of that darn thingy? Where can I buy a corset?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty