Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 10:36 AM

102,228 posts, read 108,023,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
Working out a lot certainly helps. That isn't luck; that's a choice and effort.
I find this focus on working out as having near-magical qualities to transform someone, to be odd. Unless one is significantly overweight, it's not going to make any difference as to how good-looking one is. One either has pleasing facial features, or one doesn't. Trimming up (which assumes most people aren't trim) isn't going to make any difference, barring significant overweight. For those already a healthy weight, it wouldn't even be noticeable, except maybe when wearing summer clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 10:45 AM

3,381 posts, read 1,975,815 times
^^^I think working out can add to one's attractiveness in the overall sense of having a better disposition, more energy and keeping the metabolism going. I agree with you that it's not going to make one's nose shorter or someone's eyes larger, but it can help in a general sense.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:51 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,589,638 times
The ppl that are super harsh about other ppl’s selfies or Instagram don’t have their own ofc. Cindy Crawford may be old but she is still a model. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I find this focus on working out as having near-magical qualities to transform someone, to be odd. Unless one is significantly overweight, it's not going to make any difference as to how good-looking one is. One either has pleasing facial features, or one doesn't.

Tho that’s because you are looking at it as having near magical qualities & it doesn’t ofc. BUT it does make a difference. It’s also attitude. If you work out & eat nutritionally....you will feel better AND look better than if you are carrying 40 extra pounds & smoking.

edit: AND you don’t have to be that overweight for it to make a difference. I know that if I gained 20# I wouldn’t look as good in a bikini. Most ppl don’t stop at the face when they think of good looking...it’s body AND face. They see the whole person ofc.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 07-15-2021 at 11:17 AM..

Old 07-15-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
^^^I think working out can add to one's attractiveness in the overall sense of having a better disposition, more energy and keeping the metabolism going. I agree with you that it's not going to make one's nose shorter or someone's eyes larger, but it can help in a general sense.
That's a different aspect of attractiveness, that starts to blend with the "personality" side. But we get a fair number of guys here, who deny that personality is a factor in attractiveness to them. If they truly believe that, why would they believe working out for the sake of getting more confidence and energy would help them?

Very interesting point you make. I've always said, that it's not so much about looks, it's about personality, how you come across to others, which includes a quiet inner confidence and energy.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
The ppl that are super harsh about other ppl’s selfies or Instagram don’t have their own ofc. Cindy Crawford may be old but she is still a model. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tho that’s because you are looking at it as having near magical qualities & it doesn’t ofc. BUT it does make a difference. It’s also attitude. If you work out & eat nutritionally....you will feel better AND look better than if you are carrying 40 extra pounds & smoking.

AND you don’t have to be that overweight for it to make a difference. I know that if I gained 20# I wouldn’t look as good in a bikini. Most ppl don’t stop at the face when they think of good looking...it’s all of you IMO.
Yes, I agree to a point, but most people don't walk around the streets and at work in a bikini. Same for the guys; no one will see the six-pack so many guys are convinced they have to have to be attractive, except at the beach. So....then what?

But sure, confidence is a good thing.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:56 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,132,395 times
Quote:
I find this focus on working out as having near-magical qualities to transform someone, to be odd. Unless one is significantly overweight, it's not going to make any difference as to how good-looking one is. One either has pleasing facial features, or one doesn't. Trimming up (which assumes most people aren't trim) isn't going to make any difference, barring significant overweight. For those already a healthy weight, it wouldn't even be noticeable, except maybe when wearing summer clothes.

You are right--excellent points.

I go for thin, and even someone who's 50-60 who's really in shape and thin, to me, will look great, and better than someone who may be inherently more attractive in the face but who's out of shape.

It's just my personal preference. I do not find someone who's overweight and out of shape to be attractive, even if the person is good-looking in the face (measured by standard measures of being good-looking).

Old 07-15-2021, 11:01 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,589,638 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree to a point, but most people don't walk around the streets and at work in a bikini. Same for the guys; no one will see the six-pack so many guys are convinced they have to have to be attractive, except at the beach. So....then what?

But sure, confidence is a good thing.

Models are considered to be good looking by most ppl & most wouldn’t be models if they were overweight. AND they work in a bikini sometimes.^^ Edit: I’m just saying that weight does matter. Ppl don’t look at just faces when they decide if somebody is good looking....they see all of us.

It’s not confidence tho...there are a lot of confident ppl that aren’t “good looking”.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 07-15-2021 at 11:15 AM..

Old 07-15-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
You are right--excellent points.

I go for thin, and even someone who's 50-60 who's really in shape and thin, to me, will look great, and better than someone who may be inherently more attractive in the face but who's out of shape.

It's just my personal preference. I do not find someone who's overweight and out of shape to be attractive, even if the person is good-looking in the face (measured by standard measures of being good-looking).
Well, I wasn't advocating for the overweight, just to be clear. But the posts we see on the Relationships forum and here so often, presenting working out as a panacea for a lackluster social life, tend to assume that most people are overweight. While that may be true in some parts of the US (??), I don't see it in my world, so it seems like an inappropriate assumption, and kind of irrelevant. But YMMV, obviously.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:11 AM

3,150 posts, read 1,607,357 times
I know this is about physical features but I find certain voices very attractive especially a rich baritone. To me it's the totality of the personal attributes. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:19 AM

3,508 posts, read 769,280 times
i think it is just the luck of your mixture at conception .. i am the youngest of 13 kids .. i have older sisters and brothers who look like movie stars and some of us do not .. when God was passing out looks i thought he said books and i said i dont want any .. but i do look better at 65 than i aver have in my life .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty