Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 11:06 AM

17,638 posts, read 17,743,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I was looking at a replica Rolex. It seems you have to know Rolex pretty well and handle it to see the difference. Just glancing at one on a wrist I would be hard pressed to tell.
Some entry level brands have models made similar in appearance to Rolex but for less than $100. Timex has several that resemble several Rolex models. They won’t fool anyone but they do look nice at a glance and if it gets stolen you’re only out less than $100 instead of tens of thousands of dollars. Casio and Armitron also have some dressy looking watches. Sure I’d love a certain model Rolex but at my income and level of activity it would be a waste for me to consider buying one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2021, 09:30 AM

8,536 posts, read 4,773,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I was looking at a replica Rolex. It seems you have to know Rolex pretty well and handle it to see the difference. Just glancing at one on a wrist I would be hard pressed to tell.
There are replicas of excellent quality out there, but I could just never do it. It wouldn’t feel or be right.

The only company I would consider getting a fake of is indeed Rolex, just because of the way they are playing the scarcity game right now. It’s getting ridiculous to the point where they are almost treating their clients with Ferrari levels of disdain. It would be just a thumbing of the nose at them, but the problem is I don’t particularly like how Rolexes look.

Old 08-08-2021, 06:13 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,289,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I've been wearing a Timex wrist watch for many years now. In fact, I've worn the Timex Men's T5K822 wristwatch for over 6 years now and the battery has never needed replacement and the wristband has never broke on me, surprisingly. I was surprised at the durability of this watch. However, I was thinking of getting a new watch especially since I've had my current watch for so long and it's getting old already.

What kind of watch do you think looks the best on men? Should I continue wearing a sports watch like the Timex one that I'm currently wearing, or is there a more stylish type of wrist watch that you can recommend for men?

I've mainly wore watches because I'm a freak when it comes to always knowing what time it is. And I'd prefer a digital watch because I also want to always know precisely what time it is. For some reason, analog watches drive me nuts because it displays the time on a hand dial and takes a few minutes to think and figure out the time. At least, that's the way it is for me. But hey, if you guys think it makes men look more stylish and sexy, then I'll consider it.

Appreciate if you can give me your input.
Honestly, I don’t think people care anymore. I think watch people will notice, but where I live right now hardly anybody wears a watch. Where I come from? A lot of people still wear watches.

I have a ladies Rolex watch that my husband actually found in a dumpster. It’s still works beautifully but it was so filthy, it took four days for me to clean it properly, it was gross. But it’s a beautiful watch. The weight of it feels good. And when I look at it and see that stupid little crown it makes me happy. I mean, it’s ridiculous that having a Rolex makes me feel better, but it does. It’s kind of weird.

I took it off the metal band, and saved it, and used a thin pass through band that was fabric. It was more comfortable. I was doing janitorial at the time, and no one ever noticed that I was wearing a Rolex. They didn’t notice I wore a watch. And when your hands are full and you’re pushing a 16 pound vacuum cleaner with 20 pounds of cord on the other hand the last thing you wanna do is drop everything to check a phone for the time.

It was also a handy to have a watch in the hospital.

Old 08-09-2021, 02:25 AM

10,000 posts, read 5,708,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I look at it and see that stupid little crown it makes me happy. I mean, it’s ridiculous that having a Rolex makes me feel better, but it does. It’s kind of weird.
That pretty much defines the watch enthusiast community: you wear what makes you feel good even if nobody else even notices. In fact your average Joe is practically surprised to learn there's other luxury watch brands besides Rolex.

The average unit price in my watch collection is $1,400; yet the only one that has even a tiny whiff of cachet outside of watch enthusiast circles is my Tudor. In short, the fancy names on my watches are about 2% for show and 98% for self-gratification.

The simple fact is 90% of civilized society won't even notice you're wearing a watch; of the remaining 10%, 90% will have no curiosity about it; and of that remaining 10%, 90% won't be impressed unless it's a Rolex In other words, roughly 99% of the people you encounter every day wouldn't know the difference between a Vincero and a Vacheron Constantin.

Really rich people wear really expensive watches a) because they can, and/or b) because their really rich peers will sneer at them if they don't. Some not-so-rich people save up for and buy a really expensive watch as an aspirational goal; they're frequently disappointed almost nobody notices or cares about the trinket they worked so hard for. Your average watch snob of average means (that includes me) has a handful of moderately expensive timepieces because we're willing to pay extra to wear working museum pieces on our wrists.

Last edited by Bitey; 08-09-2021 at 02:51 AM..

Old 08-09-2021, 02:47 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,858,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
This pretty much defines the watch enthusiast community (even if Tallysmom wouldn't consider herself a member): you wear what makes you feel good even if nobody else even notices. In fact your average Joe is practically surprised to learn there are other luxury watch brands besides Rolex.

The average unit price in my watch collection is $1,400; yet the only one that has even a tiny whiff of cachet outside of watch enthusiast circles is my Tudor. In short, the fancy names on my watches are about 2% for show and 98% for self-gratification.

The simple fact is 90% of civilized society won't even notice you're wearing a watch; of the remaining 10%, 90% will have no curiosity about it; and of that remaining 10%, 90% won't be impressed unless it's a Rolex. In other words, roughly 99% of the people you encounter every day won't know the difference between a Vincero and a Vacheron Constantin.

Really rich people wear really expensive watches a) because they can, and/or b) because their really rich peers will sneer at them if they don't. Some not-so-rich people save up for and buy a really expensive watch as an aspirational goal; they're frequently disappointed almost nobody notices or cares about the trinket they worked so hard for. Your average watch snob of average means (that includes me) has a handful of moderately expensive timepieces because they recognize the

That should read somereally rich people...others could not care less, certainly about others who might "sneer" at them.

Old 08-09-2021, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
That should read somereally rich people...others could not care less, certainly about others who might "sneer" at them.
Oh sure, there's DEFINITELY no rat race among really rich people. You'll often see them driving their Hondas and wearing Citizen watches, bewildered to see a precious few among them driving Porsches and wearing Panarais on their wrists.

Old 08-09-2021, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
There are replicas of excellent quality out there, but I could just never do it. It wouldn’t feel or be right.

The only company I would consider getting a fake of is indeed Rolex, just because of the way they are playing the scarcity game right now. It’s getting ridiculous to the point where they are almost treating their clients with Ferrari levels of disdain. It would be just a thumbing of the nose at them, but the problem is I don’t particularly like how Rolexes look.
I like the look of their sports/diver type watches. They’re so iconic that many lower tier brands have a similar style watch and I’m fine with wearing one of those less than $100 name brand imitations over a street gender imitation.

Old 08-09-2021, 04:06 AM

Another watch brand not mentioned is Bulova. They’re not Rolex level but they are a higher tier brand than the usual Timex and Casio. My dad had one as a gift from his company and it was passed to me when he passed away. It’s a quartz watch that is far thinner than most other watches. It’s light weight and thin design makes it feel almost as if you aren’t wearing a watch. If in the market for a higher end dress watch I would definitely consider one of these Bulova quartz watches. The ones I like are a simple elegant classic design that looks well when dressed up or as a casual dress without being flashy or gaudy. I don’t wear my dad’s Bulova because it’s full gold color, including the face, doesn’t look well with my skin tone (according to my wife). Also have my mom’s Seiko watch when she passed away. Both are on the low end of each brand. Will have them serviced soon and kept for sentimental reasons.

Old 08-09-2021, 12:41 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,858,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Oh sure, there's DEFINITELY no rat race among really rich people. You'll often see them driving their Hondas and wearing Citizen watches, bewildered to see a precious few among them driving Porsches and wearing Panarais on their wrists.
Feel free to speak from your experience and imagination; I'll speak from my experience and reality while you are busy rolling your eyes.

One of America's most villified billionaires was a spectator at a charity tennis event I was working and as I attached his entry wristband noticed he was wearing a cheap plastic watch, Citizen or similar, what appeared to be cheap shoes and had arrived not in a Honda but a ten year old low end Mercedes that needed to be washed. From the other end of the political spectrum was another billionaire who arrived in a shiny Maybach in expensive clothes, probably also a big fat watch. But it is much more convenient to throw them into the same category for some reason, as if their individualism disappeared when their wealth exceeded a million, a hundred million or multiple billions, I suppose.

Old 08-09-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Feel free to speak from your experience and imagination; I'll speak from my experience and reality while you are busy rolling your eyes.

One of America's most villified billionaires was a spectator at a charity tennis event I was working and as I attached his entry wristband noticed he was wearing a cheap plastic watch, Citizen or similar, what appeared to be cheap shoes and had arrived not in a Honda but a ten year old low end Mercedes that needed to be washed. From the other end of the political spectrum was another billionaire who arrived in a shiny Maybach in expensive clothes, probably also a big fat watch. But it is much more convenient to throw them into the same category for some reason, as if their individualism disappeared when their wealth exceeded a million, a hundred million or multiple billions, I suppose.
You're treating a generalization as an unqualified statement. That's on you, not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty