Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 07:03 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,299,078 times

Advertisements

I have a few gshocks because I'm concerned about durability. I have a couple which are solar and which I've had for like 17 years and are still working perfectly.

My favorite kind are the "anadigi" watch which look like regular watches with hands, but then there's also a small lcd screen for the date and other functions like alarm or chronograph.

When I turned 40 I got a casio protrek which is radio-controlled and solar. No need ever to change the battery or set the time, also works as an altimeter for when I go to the mountains, has world time, etc... looks good but has many functions and i prefer that kind of "smart" watch over something you have to plug every night and that sends you notifications.

I kinda want a seiko automatic watch but I don't really need it. I just think they look nice and are timeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 08:38 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,759,184 times
Many of you have brought this up, but yeah, don’t buy a watch looking to impress anybody. Watch cognoscenti are rare, and short of a Rolex few will recognize any other brand even if they happen to do a wrist check. It’s not that long ago that a Tudor, Panerai or AP wouldn’t have registered as anything rare. So really, you do get a watch for you and nobody else. If I were buying watches to grab others’ attention I certainly wouldn’t have Casios. Not is an Orient exactly a brand name that will grab a stranger’s attention.

OP, if you liked your Timex, look at other Timexes. They have some decent looking pieces. There’s a ton of stuff out there under $200 that’s good quality and good looking, and you don’t have to fall into the MVMT or Vincero traps. Beware dress watches as a daily, they typically can’t take the abuse and quickly look rather sorry with not much wear.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:20 PM

102,228 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Automatic watches will self-wind as long as you're wearing them.
That doesn't make any difference. (I've had those, too.) The problem isn't about winding them. My EM field is too strong. It can't overcome a battery-driven one. I have a friend who can't even wear battery-driven watches. He said they sometimes lose time, sometimes gain, sometimes stop for awhile, then start again, lol.

Old 07-31-2021, 04:28 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,228,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I've been wearing a Timex wrist watch for many years now. In fact, I've worn the Timex Men's T5K822 wristwatch for over 6 years now and the battery has never needed replacement and the wristband has never broke on me, surprisingly. I was surprised at the durability of this watch. However, I was thinking of getting a new watch especially since I've had my current watch for so long and it's getting old already.

What kind of watch do you think looks the best on men? Should I continue wearing a sports watch like the Timex one that I'm currently wearing, or is there a more stylish type of wrist watch that you can recommend for men?

I've mainly wore watches because I'm a freak when it comes to always knowing what time it is. And I'd prefer a digital watch because I also want to always know precisely what time it is. For some reason, analog watches drive me nuts because it displays the time on a hand dial and takes a few minutes to think and figure out the time. At least, that's the way it is for me. But hey, if you guys think it makes men look more stylish and sexy, then I'll consider it.

Appreciate if you can give me your input.
What watch looks best? I appreciate cool watches but it's more about function rather than form. I wear Casio G shock because they last for ever. Before that I wore armitron because they were bullet proof and inexpensive.

Old 07-31-2021, 06:24 AM

10,355 posts, read 8,583,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Many of you have brought this up, but yeah, don’t buy a watch looking to impress anybody. Watch cognoscenti are rare, and short of a Rolex few will recognize any other brand even if they happen to do a wrist check. It’s not that long ago that a Tudor, Panerai or AP wouldn’t have registered as anything rare. So really, you do get a watch for you and nobody else. If I were buying watches to grab others’ attention I certainly wouldn’t have Casios. Not is an Orient exactly a brand name that will grab a stranger’s attention.

OP, if you liked your Timex, look at other Timexes. They have some decent looking pieces. There’s a ton of stuff out there under $200 that’s good quality and good looking, and you don’t have to fall into the MVMT or Vincero traps. Beware dress watches as a daily, they typically can’t take the abuse and quickly look rather sorry with not much wear.
What’s wrong with vincero watches? They seem to have decently good reviews and I think they look good.
Amazon rating is 4.5 stars with 1365 ratings.

Old 07-31-2021, 08:50 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,710,905 times
I find it funny that some choose to use their phone instead of a wrist watch to tell time. Congratulations, you invented an expensive digital pocket watch.

I like the style of Timex watches over Casio and Armitron. Would I prefer more expensive brands, yes. But at my income I can’t justify buying a watch over $50 to wear in a boiler room. I currently have 3 Timex watches. A nice looking digital for work, a plain easy reader, and a casual dress for daily wear outside of work. So,Erie s I like to wear the easy reader at work. If you go to Timex’s website you’ll find windup and self winding mechanical watches of good quality and classic appearance. One advantage Timex quartz watches have over their competition is Indiglo. Their Indiglo watches are perfect for low light conditions. They’re also good for letting you know when your battery is becoming weak. Traditional glow in the dark hands and a tiny light on the side are worthless. The more expensive analog watches with the tritium glow bars, like Luminox brand for example, work great. Tritium works very well but is expensive and if your eyes are adjusted to bright light and are suddenly in the dark you can’t see the glow from the tritium until your eyes begin to adjust to the sudden darkness. Another downside is they do wear out over the years and are not cheap to replace.

Which wrist watch you choose depends upon what type of work you do and your disposable income. Other factors include personal style taste and size of wrist. I hate seeing someone with a small wrist wearing a huge monster size gaudy wrist watch (think Walmart Elgin for example). The size of the watch face should match the size of your wrist. Even if you’re low to middle income there are some nice looking watches that can be worn in formal occasions like funerals or weddings for example. So,e metal classically styled digital watches can also fit into this category. For outdoor recreational activities I would use models like Casio G-Shock, Timex Ironman, and other similar models over high dollar watches.

At work those in managerial positions and higher tend to wear Apple watches connected to their phones. When in department or corporate meetings they can set their phones to silent. If they receive a call or text they can discreetly glance at their watch display. If it’s an important call or text requiring a follow up they can excuse themselves from the meeting to respond to the call or text. It also has the added benefit of tracking their heart rate and arrhythmia among other health readings. Work at a hospital.

For low to middle income I wouldn’t go lower than Armitron, Timex, or Casio you find in stores like Walmart. For young children prone to breaking or losing a watch there are special analog watches made to help them learn to tell time using analog. There are also toy level digital watches of very affordable prices for those kids who tend to lose their watches. It’s a good measure of your child’s maturity on how well they take care of their things. There are some children’s level smart watches available. No where near the level of name brand smart watches but would you really want a child to have a $200+ watch?

Old 07-31-2021, 08:58 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,710,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
In this day and age, mechanical watches seem like steam locomotives... elegant, yes, but technology has moved on.

[I was going write "time has passed them by" ]
Mechanical watches are more environmentally friendly than battery watches (digital or analog). The self winding are better and more expensive but a simple wind up watch is also fine. For the self winding you just have to wear it daily and it keeps the time. For wind up mechanical you have to wind up to regain spring tension and it works all day long. No batteries nor electronics in landfills. They are also able to be repaired at a qualified watch repair/jeweler shop instead of toss and replace. I use to have a Russian made Vostok self winding watch. Felt and looked cheap but it did work very well (bought in 1995 in Odessa Ukraine while in the Navy). Sadly I fell on hard times and it was one of the items I pawned off for food money.

Old 07-31-2021, 02:22 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,850,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I find it funny that some choose to use their phone instead of a wrist watch to tell time. Congratulations, you invented an expensive digital pocket watch.

I like the style of Timex watches over Casio and Armitron. Would I prefer more expensive brands, yes. But at my income I can’t justify buying a watch over $50 to wear in a boiler room. I currently have 3 Timex watches. A nice looking digital for work, a plain easy reader, and a casual dress for daily wear outside of work. So,Erie s I like to wear the easy reader at work. If you go to Timex’s website you’ll find windup and self winding mechanical watches of good quality and classic appearance. One advantage Timex quartz watches have over their competition is Indiglo. Their Indiglo watches are perfect for low light conditions. They’re also good for letting you know when your battery is becoming weak. Traditional glow in the dark hands and a tiny light on the side are worthless. The more expensive analog watches with the tritium glow bars, like Luminox brand for example, work great. Tritium works very well but is expensive and if your eyes are adjusted to bright light and are suddenly in the dark you can’t see the glow from the tritium until your eyes begin to adjust to the sudden darkness. Another downside is they do wear out over the years and are not cheap to replace.

Which wrist watch you choose depends upon what type of work you do and your disposable income. Other factors include personal style taste and size of wrist. I hate seeing someone with a small wrist wearing a huge monster size gaudy wrist watch (think Walmart Elgin for example). The size of the watch face should match the size of your wrist. Even if you’re low to middle income there are some nice looking watches that can be worn in formal occasions like funerals or weddings for example. So,e metal classically styled digital watches can also fit into this category. For outdoor recreational activities I would use models like Casio G-Shock, Timex Ironman, and other similar models over high dollar watches.

At work those in managerial positions and higher tend to wear Apple watches connected to their phones. When in department or corporate meetings they can set their phones to silent. If they receive a call or text they can discreetly glance at their watch display. If it’s an important call or text requiring a follow up they can excuse themselves from the meeting to respond to the call or text. It also has the added benefit of tracking their heart rate and arrhythmia among other health readings. Work at a hospital.

For low to middle income I wouldn’t go lower than Armitron, Timex, or Casio you find in stores like Walmart. For young children prone to breaking or losing a watch there are special analog watches made to help them learn to tell time using analog. There are also toy level digital watches of very affordable prices for those kids who tend to lose their watches. It’s a good measure of your child’s maturity on how well they take care of their things. There are some children’s level smart watches available. No where near the level of name brand smart watches but would you really want a child to have a $200+ watch?
I find it funny that some are so devoted and invested in the archaic carrying of a timepiece attached to one's wrist when virtually all of them carry an extremely diverse tool at all times that includes the performance of all functions of the timepiece. I go many days with never referring to anything other than my body clock for understanding what time it is within the parameters I require.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
What’s wrong with vincero watches? They seem to have decently good reviews and I think they look good.
Amazon rating is 4.5 stars with 1365 ratings.
The thing about Vincero is that they don’t make bad watches...they’re just not great for what you could get for equivalent money elsewhere; I instantly think of an Orient Bambino, or even the awfully-named Pagani Design. A lot of people pan the styling, I think they look decent, but they’re definitely fashion watches with strong marketing more than they are a serious watchmaker.

That said, if you like it, there’s nothing really wrong with them. They function well and you could do a lot worse.

Last edited by jcp123; 07-31-2021 at 10:28 PM..

Old 07-31-2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I find it funny that some are so devoted and invested in the archaic carrying of a timepiece attached to one's wrist when virtually all of them carry an extremely diverse tool at all times that includes the performance of all functions of the timepiece. I go many days with never referring to anything other than my body clock for understanding what time it is within the parameters I require.
You’re both right. If watches were exclusively for telling time, you’re right that a phone is more accurate; and for time immemorial we just went by our bodies and daylight. Telling accurate time is really rooted in early explorers’ ship navigation, but for the masses is mostly a byproduct of the industrial revolution, when we all became good little soldiers and had to show up on time for a job.

Watches today are jewelry for men, but if they were just jewelry it wouldn’t necessarily be functional. That’s the beauty of watches: they are part of your vibe but happen also to be functional.

I’m not always able to draw a phone out while working, so a watch is actually a practical thing. But it’s nice to also look at something which, on your wrist, can do what it does. I have a variety of watches from digital Casios to a mechanical dive style watch, and it’s amazing to think about how that kind of functionality was put on a wrist in all of those forms long before smartphones existed.

Now I’m a bit biased both in that I’m a bit of a Luddite and in that by now I feel a bit naked not having some kind of watch on my wrist, and it’s really nice to have a small bit of luxury on your wrist to admire in some way - even if that luxury is an 80s looking, ugly, blocky thing I got for $20 but still tells time in every time zone globally. Or, my really kitsch gold tone calculator watch. Or all the way up to my hefty diver with the smooth hand sweep, different metal finishes on different surfaces, and the lume which still shines enough predawn to see the time; bonus points awarded since NATO straps make it a cinch to match a watch to the situation or clothing you’re going to be in. It’s an easy way for a guy to obsess over an accessory the way ladies do over shoes, purses, etc.

Functionality and finery coexist in watches, and that’s increasingly hard to find as function becomes so commoditized in a cold digital world.

Last edited by jcp123; 07-31-2021 at 11:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty