Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 11:53 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,244,081 times

Advertisements

I realized especially with aging, that I look much better with a tan. Of course it is unhealthy to get it from sun bathing, but there are spray tans and lotions. The difference between my normal skin without a tan and with a tan is pretty remarkable. The color minimizes imperfections and unevenness, and makes me look both younger and, just aesthetically better, healthier looking. And the tan helps camoflage prior sun damage.

Do you think you look better with or without a tan, or that you would look better with some type of change in your skin tone, lighter or darker? (Not political or racial issue here, just based on individual appearance.) We talk about hair color all the time but what about skin tone.

It is a big commitment to maintain a different skin tone whether tanning or bleaching but if it makes a huge positive difference, maybe worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2021, 12:46 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,431,701 times
I use bronzer on my face. Stops the shine on my big 5 head and covers dark circles under my eyes. Clinique or Tom Ford for me. Well worth the $.

YES I look more presentable this way.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:09 PM

17,538 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Yes, I always have a light tan, and I look far better with it. Mine is natural however, just from exercising outside; either walking or riding my bike. I never ever go out "tanning", let me be clear.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:27 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,411,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I realized especially with aging, that I look much better with a tan. Of course it is unhealthy to get it from sun bathing, but there are spray tans and lotions. The difference between my normal skin without a tan and with a tan is pretty remarkable. The color minimizes imperfections and unevenness, and makes me look both younger and, just aesthetically better, healthier looking. And the tan helps camoflage prior sun damage.

Do you think you look better with or without a tan, or that you would look better with some type of change in your skin tone, lighter or darker? (Not political or racial issue here, just based on individual appearance.) We talk about hair color all the time but what about skin tone.

It is a big commitment to maintain a different skin tone whether tanning or bleaching but if it makes a huge positive difference, maybe worth it.
I have some friends who get super dark tans. I've noticed that the people who are able to get dark tans want to get as dark as possible, and when you get into your 60s and 70s, it just shows how leathery your skin is. I had to give up tanning because I had too many things popping up on my skin (fair skin and years of sunbathing). I did self-tanner for awhile, but now it just settles into the imperfections and makes them look worse. If I'm wearing something sleeveless, I'll wear Body Blur which is like a makeup for skin -- it hides everything and doesn't wear off til you shower!

To your original question, yes I think I look better with a tan. I now live in Florida (part of the reason I had to stop tanning, the sun is too intense) and I go to a country line dance place frequented by people of all ages. I notice the young local girls aren't tan at all -- their skin is so porcelain white, it looks like it's never even seen the sun. Wish that had been the style when I was young, I wouldn't be in this situation!

Old 09-06-2021, 12:42 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,126,838 times
I've always looked better with a tan (especially since I have Native Hawaiian blood). Unfortunately, I have lupus and with it comes photosensitivity and the sun (and tanning beds) are not my friends.

As I also have Asian blood I tend to look sallow without a nice tan. My DH mentioned the other day as we were out for a drive that he (White) was now darker than I am. He put his arm next to mine and laughed like a lunatic.

I am blind and have just discovered that it is sometimes better to NOT see something. Sheesh!

Old 09-06-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I've always looked better with a tan (especially since I have Native Hawaiian blood). Unfortunately, I have lupus and with it comes photosensitivity and the sun (and tanning beds) are not my friends.

As I also have Asian blood I tend to look sallow without a nice tan. My DH mentioned the other day as we were out for a drive that he (White) was now darker than I am. He put his arm next to mine and laughed like a lunatic.

I am blind and have just discovered that it is sometimes better to NOT see something. Sheesh!
Yep I have sallow but pasty skin, like a "death bed" look. Makeup can only do so much. My husband has a little natural color and glow to his skin, and I look jaundiced next to him.

Old 09-06-2021, 09:23 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,211,227 times
Hard for me to judge with no photos :P

Old 09-06-2021, 10:24 AM

924 posts, read 1,678,670 times
While I would agree that a tan can cover up a million little imperfections, one problem is that the damage from a tan is cumulative, and the results of cancer and the attempt to remove it are even more disfiguring.

Try a search for "Mohs facial surgery" and look at the images. When you have a cancerous or suspected cancerous lesion. they don't just do a neat little surface removal of the spot. They go wide, and deep. They have to get all of it.

Try another search for "elliptical surgery," which is the another way of removing lesions. Even if they just use the scoop that works like a melon baller and get all of it, you end up with a deep chunk of flesh missing. When it heals, it can leave a permanent scar and be a different color than surrounding skin.

The other problem with a tan...it may make it harder for you to see potentially dangerous imperfections while they are smaller and more easily managed.

To me, in the end, the tan is not worth it. There is so much you can do with laser treatments, a good skin care regimen and religious use of daily sunscreen and hats. If you think that is too expensive, compare it to your insurance deductible find out how much of the surgery and pathology will be covered. by insurance. Even a simple biopsy runs several hundred dollars, with insurance.

Old 09-06-2021, 12:12 PM

10,101 posts, read 6,441,828 times
While I like to think I'd look better with a tan to cover up my many surface imperfections, in truth it would never camouflage my basic Irish heritage of green eyes, fading red hair (still reddish at age 71), and my Mom and Grandma's Irish-washerwoman facial shape. If I wore a head scarf I'd look as if I should be digging neeps and tatties for sure, lol. And I've had MOHS surgery from trying to tan in my youth, which was unsuccessful, btw - the best I managed was an anemic shade of beige despite months of "laying out". I've also had numerous small growths frozen off - ouch! So a tan isn't worth it or even viable for me.

Old 09-06-2021, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
While I like to think I'd look better with a tan to cover up my many surface imperfections, in truth it would never camouflage my basic Irish heritage of green eyes, fading red hair (still reddish at age 71), and my Mom and Grandma's Irish-washerwoman facial shape. If I wore a head scarf I'd look as if I should be digging neeps and tatties for sure, lol. And I've had MOHS surgery from trying to tan in my youth, which was unsuccessful, btw - the best I managed was an anemic shade of beige despite months of "laying out". I've also had numerous small growths frozen off - ouch! So a tan isn't worth it or even viable for me.
Oh I spent a lot of time in the sun back in the day, and I did tan golden as I have yellowy skin tone. I've had a four inch slice taken out of my leg and a few basals frozen off. So I would not be tanning in the sun, but artifically with sprays or lotions.

My friend is Irish with pinkish skin and had to try really hard to tan but she did, and she has been lucky no growths. She looks nice without a tan though. I've seen plenty of people who look worse with tans. I saw a photo of Emma Stone with blonde hair and a tan (maybe for a movie?) and she looked strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty