Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 04:15 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I realized especially with aging, that I look much better with a tan. Of course it is unhealthy to get it from sun bathing, but there are spray tans and lotions. The difference between my normal skin without a tan and with a tan is pretty remarkable. The color minimizes imperfections and unevenness, and makes me look both younger and, just aesthetically better, healthier looking. And the tan helps camoflage prior sun damage.

Do you think you look better with or without a tan, or that you would look better with some type of change in your skin tone, lighter or darker? (Not political or racial issue here, just based on individual appearance.) We talk about hair color all the time but what about skin tone.

It is a big commitment to maintain a different skin tone whether tanning or bleaching but if it makes a huge positive difference, maybe worth it.
I have thought all of my life, that I look better with a tan. My skin is pasty white. I have blond hair and greenish-grey eyes. EVERYTHING pops with the healthy glow that a tan gives. The sun IS healthy. It gives us the best source of vitamin D.

It also causes sun damage. So, I tread somewhere in the middle. I do not "lay out" the way I did as a 12 to 40 year old. I get my sun early in the morning or in the late afternoon. If I want to augment my tan, there are products that do that. There are also spray tan places that do a good job and do not turn you orange.

Heavy sunscrean lotions contain dangerous chemicals. I have never used the higher number sunscreens. I just don't lay out, I let myself get the sun while doing normal activities. I do use a CC cream with sunscrean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 05:02 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,984,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Heavy sunscrean lotions contain dangerous chemicals. I have never used the higher number sunscreens. I just don't lay out, I let myself get the sun while doing normal activities. I do use a CC cream with sunscrean.
What sunscreen are you using these days? I have a SPF15 by Badger that I tried to replace this year, but they now start at 30.

I was a sun worshipper when I was younger. My face looks awful untanned. I have red spots, bags under my eyes and am otherwise white for someone who has a darker skin tone.

I am on my bike early in the morning and just that, even on cloudy days, gives me enough color the past few years to get by. I've even started using sunblock on my shoulders early in the season, and when taking long drives (left arm) anytime in the summer.

I would love to find a light bronzing cream without chemicals to use in the dead of winter.

Old 09-06-2021, 05:06 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Not all sunscreens are dangerous. Lately they've been making them from zinc or titanium so they are safe. Just google and find a safe brand to use.

I used to try to get a tan when I was a teenager but then one time in Florida a friend pointed out an older woman with saggy, wrinkled skin that was like leather. That was the result of too much sun, said my friend.

From then on I never tried to get a tan. However, one time I was lying on the beach around noon time and it didn't take long to get a terrible burn. For over a week my skin was all red and burnt and blistered and peeling.

Now I suffer the consequences of that sunburn because skin cancers keep popping up. I see a dermatologist every year and sometimes the cancers are burnt off but other times there's surgery. I use a really good sun screen now but that sun burn years ago did its damage.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:56 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,177,234 times
I don't look good with a tan on my arms because I have a condition called idiopathic guttate hypomelanosis. It causes my skin to tan unevenly, with white spots interspersed with the tan areas.

This article has a picture of an arm that looks just like mine when I'm tanned.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/w...ts-on-my-skin/

It doesn't bother me, and I don't think people really notice it, but it's not a look I'd go out of my way to achieve even if I weren't concerned about malignant melanoma to begin with, having lost two friends to it.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:14 AM

9,155 posts, read 6,208,590 times
Gee: how about another way to say you look better with a tan. Do you look better with darker skin?

Old 09-07-2021, 09:30 AM

118 posts, read 96,761 times
some of the best looking women and men in the world aren't Lille-white

Old 09-07-2021, 10:56 AM

2,572 posts, read 1,647,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I realized especially with aging, that I look much better with a tan. Of course it is unhealthy to get it from sun bathing, but there are spray tans and lotions. The difference between my normal skin without a tan and with a tan is pretty remarkable. The color minimizes imperfections and unevenness, and makes me look both younger and, just aesthetically better, healthier looking. And the tan helps camoflage prior sun damage.

Do you think you look better with or without a tan, or that you would look better with some type of change in your skin tone, lighter or darker? (Not political or racial issue here, just based on individual appearance.) We talk about hair color all the time but what about skin tone.

It is a big commitment to maintain a different skin tone whether tanning or bleaching but if it makes a huge positive difference, maybe worth it.
I agree. I am extremely fair-skinned with pink undertones (Scandinavian ancestry) and have never really been able to tan. Spray tans turn me orange so I use australian gold tinted sunscreen. SPF 50 and you get a nice glow.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:12 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Gee: how about another way to say you look better with a tan. Do you look better with darker skin?
Yes but tanning, by sun or other means is the way to achieve that, so it is accurate. This can also provide coverage for unevenness to make skin all over look more flawless and that is part of it too.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:42 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,407,740 times
I get a good tan from the sun every summer. I've been in Florida this summer, so I've gotten really tan and get complimented all the time. However, it really doesn't make much difference to me. When I was younger, I frequented tanning beds and loved being tan... Now I wish I could be a little lighter...Go figure lol.

Old 09-07-2021, 12:15 PM

9,155 posts, read 6,208,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaniLTD View Post
some of the best looking women and men in the world aren't Lille-white
Yes- but that's how they are naturally. They are not trying to be something that's not part of their genetic code. (BTW- you have a misspelling: It's Lillie-white. Lille is a city in France.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty