Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 03:38 AM

53 posts, read 40,494 times

Advertisements

Was at breakfast. In front of me was a table of four guys. All of them had beards. To my left was a table of three: two guys and a girl. And you guessed it right, the two guys had beards. There was another guy sitting a couple of tables away, and yeah, had a beard too. Is this some kind of joke that I didn't get the memo for?

Why are the majority of males trying to cover their faces these days? In parts of the World where they don't have facial hair, they are still wearing masks.

Old 09-13-2021, 12:49 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Been quite a while now. Beards can cover a multitude of shortcomings for a guy. My ex had a weak chin and always had a short trimmed beard. He looked awful without it.

I think most guys look pretty good with a short trimmed one, until they start going grey which just ages them tremendously.

The straggly unkempt David Lettermen look is just atrocious and disgusting.

Old 09-13-2021, 12:57 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
It's been quite awhile at this point. They came in with the Man-bun fad. And I agree with the above poster; guys with weak chins have always worn beards, and look the better for it. A beard can also give a young guy and older, more authoritative look. Beards have their advantages.

Old 09-13-2021, 01:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Don't blame me, I have had mine since 1974. In my observation working in Seattle, the biggest push for the short, scruffy looking beards began about 2009-2010, with the hipsters. Eventually it started to spread to the suburbs, and to older and younger people, as the stubble look started to show up in the media with TV stars and professional athletes. It seemed to drop off a bit in the 2013-14 years, but now seems back stronger than ever. I had a recent teams meeting for work and of the dozen or so men only 1 was without a beard, and ages ranged from about 24 to 70.

Old 09-13-2021, 01:26 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,542,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceuponatimeinGina View Post
Was at breakfast. In front of me was a table of four guys. All of them had beards. To my left was a table of three: two guys and a girl. And you guessed it right, the two guys had beards. There was another guy sitting a couple of tables away, and yeah, had a beard too. Is this some kind of joke that I didn't get the memo for?

Yes. Beards came back "in" around 2012-2015 for mainstream, and earlier than that for "hipsters."

This article came out in 2014: Beard trend is "guided by evolution."

They are still "in," but only the trim, neat ones. The big bushy ones are definitely "out," thank goodness.

I don't like beards, myself, but that is personal preference. I also tend to doubt it is "evolutionary" like that article says. Most beards I see are on men who are overweight to hide a double chin or who have a weak jawline. I don't know many men with a strong, chiseled jawline who have facial hair. Maybe young ones, but no one over age 40.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
Yes. Beards came back "in" around 2012-2015 for mainstream, and earlier than that for "hipsters."

This article came out in 2014: Beard trend is "guided by evolution."

They are still "in," but only the trim, neat ones. The big bushy ones are definitely "out," thank goodness.

I don't like beards, myself, but that is personal preference. I also tend to doubt it is "evolutionary" like that article says. Most beards I see are on men who are overweight to hide a double chin or who have a weak jawline. I don't know many men with a strong, chiseled jawline who have facial hair. Maybe young ones, but no one over age 40.
On my walk around, I have to say that 90% of men hard beards. I am absolutely shocked and am only noticing this because most of these men have very little presence, so I never noticed it.

I think women should lead a revolt against men with beards. They are most definitely concealing something.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:14 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,971,833 times
Quote:
On my walk around, I have to say that 90% of men hard beards. I am absolutely shocked and am only noticing this because most of these men have very little presence, so I never noticed it.

I think women should lead a revolt against men with beards. They are most definitely concealing something.
I bet you wear make up…People who live in glass houses and all.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:16 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,234,927 times
Quote:
Let them be, it is one of the few things that men can use to improve their appearance.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
Let them be, it is one of the few things that men can use to improve their appearance.
The fact that almost all men are doing this says something about the current state of men?

Old 09-13-2021, 06:10 PM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
The fact that almost all men are doing this says something about the current state of men?
All men? Who is "all men"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty