Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 12:08 PM

8,486 posts, read 4,733,015 times

Advertisements

False eyelashes can look pretty good, but they have to be done really well. Most folks don’t.

Fake nails do, however, look pretty bad IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 12:19 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,128,631 times
Nope not just you. Fake eye lashes.. I seriously do not get it. Add in massive amounts of red lipstick and it starts to look like clown face. Personally fake eye lashes are a big turn off.

Hands can be oh so sexy... but fake nails are another I don't see the appeal. Its not the length that is weird, its the "bulbous" look they have glued on top of the nail. It ruins the tapered profile of the fingers. They look like "club fingers" sticking up off the finger in profile so unnaturally like that. No matter how thin the fake nail is, it looks weird sticking up like that. Personally I prefer short'ish nails with natural color.

Old 01-05-2022, 12:32 PM

17,363 posts, read 16,505,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Nope not just you. Fake eye lashes.. I seriously do not get it. Add in massive amounts of red lipstick and it starts to look like clown face. Personally fake eye lashes are a big turn off.

Hands can be oh so sexy... but fake nails are another I don't see the appeal. Its not the length that is weird, its the "bulbous" look they have glued on top of the nail. It ruins the tapered profile of the fingers. They look like "club fingers" sticking up off the finger in profile so unnaturally like that. No matter how thin the fake nail is, it looks weird sticking up like that. Personally I prefer short'ish nails with natural color.
I think that some of these women aren't seeing that what might look good in an influencer's picture or video does not necessarily translate all that well into real life.

The heavy makeup that a model wears in a photo shoot can look a bit garish in real life.

Old 01-05-2022, 12:41 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,417,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
It used to be that you put false eyelashes on yourself. Do you put these thicker lashes on yourself or do you have them done professionally? If women are spending money to have these things professionally applied then I guess that means that they sleep in them and don't take them off for awhile?

As for me, I'll stick to natural eyelashes and mascara even though my own lashes are nothing to write home about. I like my natural nails even though I don't do anything all that special to them, other than filing them.

I totally agree with you about the 2+ inch long nails. They seem really cumbersome and awkward. The shorter, well done ones can look nice.
I had them professionally done. I liked them but they were too dramatic for everyday.

Old 01-05-2022, 12:54 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,574,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I think that some of these women aren't seeing that what might look good in an influencer's picture or video does not necessarily translate all that well into real life.

The heavy makeup that a model wears in a photo shoot can look a bit garish in real life.

This.^^ You bring up a super good point. AND some of it is just not practical for “real life” & work either….like super long or fake nails. The same with fake eyelashes. For the right occasion & as long as they are done right tho, IMO fake eyelashes can add some sexy flair. But there is a super big difference between going to a dressy event or doing a video or going to the grocery store. For a grocery store trip or pumping gas…it’s going to be more “garish”.^^

Old 01-05-2022, 01:18 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times
My hairdresser told me that fake eyelashes and eyelash extensions became popular during the pandemic because the lower part of the face was covered by masks. Dramatic eye make up became popular since eyes became the focal point of the face.

Old 01-05-2022, 02:46 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The title pretty much says it all. Heavy, long fake eyelashes must be very uncomfortable to wear, and they look bad, to me. The subtle ones look ok.

When I see long fake nails, I think they must be very germy underneath.
I think the same.

I also think how dangerous it is to put any glue or whatever that close to your eye.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:00 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,574,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post

I also think how dangerous it is to put any glue or whatever that close to your eye.

Contact dermatitis is possible for some women depending on the glue or allergy. BUT there are “cleaner” options like magnetic gels or liquid liners.

edit: You still have to apply them correctly. Lots don’t. AND it’s not something I would use every day…tho false lashes aren’t an every day thing IMO anyway. Just a dressy night out with my husband OR for a video review or instruction. I wore big “siren” lashes when I was the bride of Frankenstein for Halloween. I was going for a gothic & “assembled” look tho.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 01-05-2022 at 03:54 PM..

Old 01-05-2022, 03:11 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,540,297 times
I don't wear either. What others do is their business. I try not to judge people on things like that, if I even notice it in the first place. I also try to be sensitive to the fact that long nails and nail art are often considered cultural forms of expression by people of color and that it is a bit of a landmine in the world of race relations for white people to criticize or adapt the styles themselves, so even if I had a negative opinion, I would keep my mouth closed.

However, I will make the exception if someone is a nasty person. I recently had a run-in with a very obnoxious, abrasive woman who really did not belong in a public-facing position. At the end of our exchange, I told her, "What is wrong with your eyelashes? They are falling off at the corners."

Meow.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:24 PM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The title pretty much says it all. Heavy, long fake eyelashes must be very uncomfortable to wear, and they look bad, to me. The subtle ones look ok.

When I see long fake nails, I think they must be very germy underneath.
When I see those 3" nails, I think "welfare". No one can perform any kind of job wearing such nails.
And the very long mink lashes? Trashy. Not to mention possible health problems like eye injuries and infections, allergic reactions, and damage to natural lashes.
They also must obstruct vision.

Other than for Halloween, I don't think of them as a pretty accessories.
Classy women don't wear them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty