Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 03:13 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,193 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

My nephew/godchild is getting married in May. It's been 5 years since I've had to formally dress up (it was for his younger brother's wedding as a matter of fact) Since then I've retired and turned 70. My body and face have changed a bit. The pudge around the middle is pudgier than ever.

I purchased a dress that covers a multitude of sins so I'm all set in that regard. Because of scarring on my legs I really need to wear pantyhose.

What's the latest in control top pantyhose? Many moons ago I used to get JC Penney Brand pantyhose with an attach control top brief that I really liked but it's no longer available. I'm a hair over 5 ft, around 170 lbs, and short-waisted with thunder thighs. Think: Neolithic fertility goddess....

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2022, 03:54 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
There are actually a bunch on Amazon. Pretty sure Spanx makes some, but I may be wrong about that. I actually always loved wearing pantyhose, they smooth everything out.

Old 02-22-2022, 05:17 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I don't think there is anything wrong w/wearing pantyhose (in fact, a newer weather person on the local news would benefit from them - I haven't had to dress up for quite a while but it was always Legg's for me (if they still make them?)

Old 02-23-2022, 07:00 PM

403 posts, read 221,126 times
Maybe try this instead?
I never tried it myself, but I cannot imagine wearing pantyhose again. Be comfortable! The weather in May could be hot and humid...
https://www.amazon.com/Sally-Hansen-...ustomerReviews

Old 02-26-2022, 08:27 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
Hanes Silk Reflections control top. You can order from Hanes.com -- and they usually have good deals on Bali bras and panties if you want to combine the purchase. I think you can find them in store at Macy's. Otherwise, Hanes also makes No Nonsense pantyhose, so it's similar but the stocking part of the hosiery doesn't feel as nice.

Oh, and with the Silk Reflections, be honest with yourself when checking the size chart, and if you're on the edge of sizes, go up on the weight size; you get more forgiveness in the length than in the butt with this brand.

Old 02-28-2022, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
Hanes Silk Reflections control top. You can order from Hanes.com -- and they usually have good deals on Bali bras and panties if you want to combine the purchase. I think you can find them in store at Macy's. Otherwise, Hanes also makes No Nonsense pantyhose, so it's similar but the stocking part of the hosiery doesn't feel as nice.

Oh, and with the Silk Reflections, be honest with yourself when checking the size chart, and if you're on the edge of sizes, go up on the weight size; you get more forgiveness in the length than in the butt with this brand.
Thanks for the tip!

I didn't think this topic would stir up this much controversy! But seriously, the last time I wore pantyhose was for my other nephew's wedding (my godson's brother) 5 years ago. I almost never wear dresses anymore. The pantyhose helps to "suck it all in" and takes the place of what we old farts call a girdle --"shapewear" to you young'uns. Personally, for a special occasion like a wedding I wouldn't feel completely dressed without pantyhose.

Old 02-28-2022, 08:44 PM

4,087 posts, read 2,557,060 times
Mod cut: Orphaned comments (quoted post has been deleted).

On topic: Spanx does make pantyhose. So far as shapewear goes, they're pretty comfortable and decent for the money. They are usually in stock at Target.

My own go-to for pantyhose is Wolford. They're a bit spend-y, but are very nice to wear and are very subtle to the point that it's hard to tell whether or not you're wearing pantyhose if you're wearing flesh tones.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-28-2022 at 10:53 PM..

Old 02-28-2022, 08:55 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Every single time I wear dress or skirt I also wear pantyhose, except when going to beach, pool etc.
Could not imagine to dress for business or formal and not wearing them.
Nude or black or even fancy, depends on occasion or style.
But hey, some people wear flip-flops outside beach or pool, so I guess it's fine for them.
Not for me. I think, I wouldn't be dressed up without wearing them
So, a great choice and I applaud you, OP!

What kind of pantyhose you need depends on your outfit.
Nude (higher DEN) match everything, but you could opt for grey or black to compliment your dress. Very classy!

Hosiery denier (DEN) guide:
https://estylingerie.com/2019/12/16/...ers-look-like/

Old 03-01-2022, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
What kind of pantyhose you need depends on your outfit.
Nude (higher DEN) match everything, but you could opt for grey or black to compliment your dress. Very classy!

Hosiery denier (DEN) guide:
https://estylingerie.com/2019/12/16/...ers-look-like/
Elnina, thanks for this! The website was very instructional and I will definitely keep this info in mind when I look for pantyhose. I would like something with a little more coverage as I have some dark spots on my right leg that I would like to minimize.

Old 03-01-2022, 07:45 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
I never understood the fondness for control top pantyhose (or control top anything). All that does for me is push whatever fat I have up to my midsection and give me a roll around my waist. Very unattractive & uncomfortable. But I guess with a pear shape, the problem areas are below the waist, maybe, so those women don't get a roll around their waist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty