Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 05:59 PM

45,598 posts, read 60,994,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I have not seen anything like that, and hopefully I won't. Sounds rather trailer-trashy.
I remember how that style was popular 40 years ago. Mrs. NBP had a couple as did some of the women I taught with. Lots of practicing keeping their upper arms close to their bodies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 06:17 PM
KCZ

4,696 posts, read 3,719,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I suggest wearing a camisole underneath. The kind that's stretchy with the spaghetti straps.

The point of wearing a sleeveless top is to stay cooler during the summer. Adding extra layers of clothing underneath is defeating the purpose.

If anyone finds a line of clothing with armholes sized for normal women, please let the rest of us know.

Old 04-18-2022, 06:21 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,250,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
The point of wearing a sleeveless top is to stay cooler during the summer. Adding extra layers of clothing underneath is defeating the purpose.

If anyone finds a line of clothing with armholes sized for normal women, please let the rest of us know.
Oh well, by all means Sand and Salt, continue keeping you sweaty arms stuck to your sweaty body.

Old 04-19-2022, 04:28 AM

19,808 posts, read 20,401,739 times
I'm having trouble picturing these type of shirts. Is this casual wear?

I always wear a camisole or something underneath if my bra is showing. Never had my arms "stick to my sides", so I don't really understand that part either.

Old 04-19-2022, 08:51 AM

20,778 posts, read 20,078,523 times
I love that style. You have to wear something underneath.

Old 04-19-2022, 09:40 AM
KCZ

4,696 posts, read 3,719,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I'm having trouble picturing these type of shirts. Is this casual wear?

I always wear a camisole or something underneath if my bra is showing. Never had my arms "stick to my sides", so I don't really understand that part either.

I'm referring to a basic tank top (think Lands End not some new fashion style). The two that I bought several weeks ago had the lower edge of the armhole at least 6 inches below my armpit. Not only did it show my bra and entire side, but whenever I moved, it gapped open enough to see the front or back of my bra. Website photos always show the models with their arms pinned against their sides so you can't see how gigantic the armhole is until you receive the shirt. Who wants to wear a cami under a tank when it's hot.

Old 04-19-2022, 09:52 AM

50,490 posts, read 64,372,970 times
In some cases, I have been able to take up the garment in the shoulder seam, to close up the arm hole a little. Otherwise, I wear a camisole. But, like someone else said, another layer of clothing is not comfortable in GA in the summer.

I’m expecting two sleeveless tops from Christopher & Banks, and I hope the armholes aren’t too big.

Old 04-19-2022, 09:59 AM

15,085 posts, read 12,277,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
What is with this trend? Who likes this?

In a hot climate, it's great to go sleeveless, then you have this huge open area so that now your upper arms are sticking to your sides without fabric in-between. Is that comfortable in a humid climate? NOOOOO! But it seems you can't find sleeveless tops with normal arm-holes since the 70s.

And what about showing off all that bra, when you leave the house? I don't think this style looks good on anyone. Not to mention showing off "side-boob".

Just now, I got so fed up, I used safety pins to make the hole smaller. Relief, but now I really look goofy.

I prefer tube-tops but they are too clingy for a hot climate and too revealing for some of us----
I can't say I am really crazy about the great big arm holes in shirts, at least for me. I do live in a warm climate, though, and had a passing thought that having all that underarm with a big sleeve might be cool during our hot humid summers.

So I bought myself a cotton shirt with those huge armholes and puffy sleeves that flare out at the bottom ofthe sleeves. It's a pretty shirt that looked good on the hangar, so I bought it without trying it on. When I got home, tried it on and looked in the mirror, my thought was "All I need is a wand and a crown and I will look like an aged Fairy Godmother."

I'm thinking maybe one of the younger ladies in my family will like it just fine.

Old 04-19-2022, 10:39 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,250,851 times
If you're talking about basic tanks, or sleeveless tee shirts, many of them are made with the big sleeve area precisely so air will get around and through the area, to keep a person cool. Those people will wear a sports bra or a camisole type top underneath.

Old 04-19-2022, 11:41 AM

11,667 posts, read 12,784,818 times
I hate this cut. I just returned a high neck Lands End swim suit for the same reason and you can't wear a cami under a swimsuit. And who wants to wear 3 layers of clothing (underwear, cami, and sleeveless top) in the sweltering summer?

It's the same for necklines. The description says crewneck but they have become so wide lately, like the crap they sell on HSN or QVC that anyone who doesn't have Vanna White shoulders makes these crewnecks into boatnecks or scoopnecks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty