Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 09:19 PM
KCZ

4,689 posts, read 3,698,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
It looks like those large arm openings tank tops designed for young slim women - who obviously could wear it without a bra underneath in hot weather.

The loose cut suppose to “hang” on a skinny body frame without revealing too much - maybe just a peek every now and then - depending on the person’s moves. The young bodies are beautiful in anything and “the views” are not insulting to the eyes.

Mature women look better in a more fitting their bodies styles - with sleeves perhaps?

The key is the right fabric - no synthetic fibers in hot and humid weather, please.

Linen fabric (flax) is cooling even with the short sleeves. The cuts of clothing used is usually loose - tunic style, which helps too.
Cotton: especially voile type fabric or seersucker - very comfortable.
Dresses are cooler vs shorts?

On sale 100% cotton sleeveless tank tops/polos with regular style opening
https://www.landsend.com/products/wo...81,44796,44967

https://www.landsend.com/products/wo...08,44967,51173

Those are some of the Lands End tanks that I complained about in a previous post. The armholes are enormous. I've been wearing their tanks for years, and this season the armholes are about twice (at least) the size they used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2022, 09:33 PM

37,718 posts, read 46,158,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
If you're talking about basic tanks, or sleeveless tee shirts, many of them are made with the big sleeve area precisely so air will get around and through the area, to keep a person cool. Those people will wear a sports bra or a camisole type top underneath.
Yeah, I think these tops must be for workout wear. Certainly the tops I wear to the gym or run in, have very large armholes, but I wear a sports bra under them!! Surely people are not mistaking that type of top for regular street wear with a bra.

Old 04-19-2022, 09:35 PM

37,718 posts, read 46,158,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
What do you mean? Is going braless OK now?
Not for me! Nope nope nope!

Old 04-19-2022, 10:42 PM

17,648 posts, read 22,693,432 times
Perhaps, wear a swim suit top under the sleeveless shirt...

Old 04-20-2022, 05:33 AM

19,761 posts, read 20,330,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yeah, I think these tops must be for workout wear. Certainly the tops I wear to the gym or run in, have very large armholes, but I wear a sports bra under them!! Surely people are not mistaking that type of top for regular street wear with a bra.
This is what I was picturing, workout gear. Bandeau bras and tube tops also work good under these kind of shirts. Loungewear, lol.

I don't shop at Land's End, so I don't know what "look" they're going for here..

Old 04-20-2022, 07:35 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,313,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
The point of wearing a sleeveless top is to stay cooler during the summer. Adding extra layers of clothing underneath is defeating the purpose.

If anyone finds a line of clothing with armholes sized for normal women, please let the rest of us know.
Lands End.

Old 04-20-2022, 07:37 AM
KCZ

4,689 posts, read 3,698,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
This is what I was picturing, workout gear. Bandeau bras and tube tops also work good under these kind of shirts. Loungewear, lol.

I don't shop at Land's End, so I don't know what "look" they're going for here..

Lands End tank top, which IRL has gigantic armholes.

Old 04-20-2022, 10:22 AM

329 posts, read 226,786 times
Quote:
What is with this trend? Who likes this?

In a hot climate, it's great to go sleeveless, then you have this huge open area so that now your upper arms are sticking to your sides without fabric in-between. Is that comfortable in a humid climate? NOOOOO! But it seems you can't find sleeveless tops with normal arm-holes since the 70s.

And what about showing off all that bra, when you leave the house? I don't think this style looks good on anyone. Not to mention showing off "side-boob".

Just now, I got so fed up, I used safety pins to make the hole smaller. Relief, but now I really look goofy.

I prefer tube-tops but they are too clingy for a hot climate and too revealing for some of us----
I am starting a new job in the coming weeks and went shopping for a few new tops and blouses for work. You are correct about those gigantic arm holes! And what about the width and length of some of them? Some of the dressier tops look like tent dresses; others resemble maternity wear. I found this to be the case no matter what size I looked in, even the small sizes looked oversized. There were some exceptions, of course, but not many. (These were certainly not the type of overlay pieces described by some posters above; I know the difference.)

Old 04-20-2022, 11:09 AM

102,260 posts, read 108,277,635 times
Quote:
What is with this trend? Who likes this?

In a hot climate, it's great to go sleeveless, then you have this huge open area so that now your upper arms are sticking to your sides without fabric in-between. Is that comfortable in a humid climate? NOOOOO! But it seems you can't find sleeveless tops with normal arm-holes since the 70s.

And what about showing off all that bra, when you leave the house? I don't think this style looks good on anyone. Not to mention showing off "side-boob".

Just now, I got so fed up, I used safety pins to make the hole smaller. Relief, but now I really look goofy.

I prefer tube-tops but they are too clingy for a hot climate and too revealing for some of us----
OP, I didn't know what you were referring to at first, but then a catalog came in the mail...

Are you talking about fashion tank tops? If so, I see what you mean. If I were to buy one, I would raise it up by cutting out an inch or two from the straps on top of the shoulder. That would pull up the armholes to a normal height. If any other adjustment needs to be made to the armholes, you could do a little tailoring in that area on the sides, to close up the armholes a little.

Shortening the straps on top to pull the whole garment up will only work if it's long enough at the hem, though. Like more of a tunic-length tank top.

Old 04-20-2022, 11:13 AM

102,260 posts, read 108,277,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Lands End tank top, which IRL has gigantic armholes.

I've come to the conclusion over the years, that the catalogs sometimes will pin items strategically in the back, to get whatever look they're aiming for: tailored vs. loose, modest vs. revealing, whatever. Here's another example. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed apparent discrepancies between the photos and the real item. Thanks for posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty