Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 12:37 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
If you're talking about basic tanks, or sleeveless tee shirts, many of them are made with the big sleeve area precisely so air will get around and through the area, to keep a person cool. Those people will wear a sports bra or a camisole type top underneath.
Then they need to market and photograph them that way rather than somewhat concealing the fact of unusually large armholes - problem solved! I'm sure they'll then show the "under garment" on the same page so they can sell you TWO tops instead of one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2022, 01:59 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
The point of wearing a sleeveless top is to stay cooler during the summer. Adding extra layers of clothing underneath is defeating the purpose.

If anyone finds a line of clothing with armholes sized for normal women, please let the rest of us know.
YES YES YES. This is nothing new in fashion but on the hotter days, I go for these tops then get disgusted by how it looks/feels. Another layer is ridiculous when it's hot.

It's like the scoop tops mentioned above. I don't remember all my tops falling off their hangers 10 years ago. Now almost every top requires those special hangers with the grooves so they stay on them.

You know what? I think it's just another way to save money by less material for the producer! That's always the answer. It's like how thin material is these days. Just cost-cutting.

Old 04-19-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Oh well, by all means Sand and Salt, continue keeping you sweaty arms stuck to your sweaty body.
I guess I need a seamstress!

I'll just wear short sleeves and crank up the a/c, I guess.

This is my first experience with a humid climate (after SoCal and Utah---both quite dry) so I have a lot to learn, apparently!

Even guys wear this style and it looks even worse on them (pit hair showing off).

Old 04-19-2022, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I'm referring to a basic tank top (think Lands End not some new fashion style). The two that I bought several weeks ago had the lower edge of the armhole at least 6 inches below my armpit. Not only did it show my bra and entire side, but whenever I moved, it gapped open enough to see the front or back of my bra. Website photos always show the models with their arms pinned against their sides so you can't see how gigantic the armhole is until you receive the shirt. Who wants to wear a cami under a tank when it's hot.
Exactly! YOU get it. That's just what I'm referring to.

And I don't mean the whole arm sticks. Just the part by the armpit/boob.

Old 04-19-2022, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It wasn't exactly. My sense is that the clothes are meant to be worn without a bra. At least that's what I've seen here. In some cases I did have to pour bleach in my eyes.
What do you mean? Is going braless OK now?

Old 04-19-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I like "side-boob."
LOL. Good to know. I worry about that....

Old 04-19-2022, 05:44 PM

24,556 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I guess I need a seamstress!

I'll just wear short sleeves and crank up the a/c, I guess.

This is my first experience with a humid climate (after SoCal and Utah---both quite dry) so I have a lot to learn, apparently!

Even guys wear this style and it looks even worse on them (pit hair showing off).
How long have you been in wherever you are now?

Old 04-19-2022, 07:41 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I've noticed that men's tanks have humongous armholes compared to women's styles.

I used to buy oversized men's tanks, cut out a triangle under the arm, move it up, and wind up with a nightshirt that nipped in at the waist and flared at the hem. But I assume that's not in your wheelhouse.

Old 04-19-2022, 08:20 PM

61,716 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
What is with this trend? Who likes this?

In a hot climate, it's great to go sleeveless, then you have this huge open area so that now your upper arms are sticking to your sides without fabric in-between. Is that comfortable in a humid climate? NOOOOO! But it seems you can't find sleeveless tops with normal arm-holes since the 70s.
I agree, I wouldn't wear it either.
Those are maybe oversized clothes made for oversized customers? Or very young people?
I think that too small armholes are more uncomfortable.

Possible fixes:
https://youlookfab.com/2020/06/25/wh...o-wide-or-low/

Quote:
And what about showing off all that bra, when you leave the house? I don't think this style looks good on anyone. Not to mention showing off "side-boob".
Leave the house showing all that bra?

Side boobs could be corrected by properly fitted bra.

Old 04-19-2022, 08:48 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,193,305 times
Quote:
Exactly! YOU get it. That's just what I'm referring to.

And I don't mean the whole arm sticks. Just the part by the armpit/boob.
It looks like those large arm openings tank tops designed for young slim women - who obviously could wear it without a bra underneath in hot weather.

The loose cut suppose to “hang” on a skinny body frame without revealing too much - maybe just a peek every now and then - depending on the person’s moves. The young bodies are beautiful in anything and “the views” are not insulting to the eyes.

Mature women look better in a more fitting their bodies styles - with sleeves perhaps?

The key is the right fabric - no synthetic fibers in hot and humid weather, please.

Linen fabric (flax) is cooling even with the short sleeves. The cuts of clothing used is usually loose - tunic style, which helps too.
Cotton: especially voile type fabric or seersucker - very comfortable.
Dresses are cooler vs shorts?

On sale 100% cotton sleeveless tank tops/polos with regular style opening
https://www.landsend.com/products/wo...81,44796,44967

https://www.landsend.com/products/wo...08,44967,51173

Last edited by L00k4ward; 04-19-2022 at 09:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty