Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which time period below had the biggest evolution in fashion and technology?
2005-2012 13 81.25%
2015-2022 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 06:59 PM

3,084 posts, read 2,430,266 times

Advertisements

Replace 20 with 19 and you'd have a better case for sea changes in both fashion and technology. Puffy coiffeurs, bustles and long skirts went the way of buggy whips as girls bobbed their hair, put on flapper dresses and got around in mass-produced cars in the jazz age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 01:48 AM

1 posts, read 261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Now, as we are in the 2020s, I want to know how the 2010s look to you guys, particularly the mid 2010s. As the fashion goes, but also technology (if you want to go there).
The early 2010s look almost antiquated to me, from the scene/emo haircuts (which still lingered) to the Jersey Shore tans, spikey hair, beardless dudes, etc. Sheesh. So I will skip that part of the 10s.

Except, 2014-16 era still doesn't look dated to me. Maybe because it seemed like it was a few blinks ago. If someone nowadays transports themselves to 2015 they wouldn't look out of place. Maybe slight difference was that many men didn't have beards then as they do now.

Funny, 2012 was hella different from 2005! 2012 had iPhones, iPads, Twitter and Facebook, and 2005 was all about iPods, Myspace and other dated social media websites that people now forgot about. People still dressed like it was the late 1990s in 2005 as well. Whereas between 2015-2022 fashion and technology didn't evolve much. Or maybe this is just me? What's your perspective?
The early 2010s look completely old now, just take a look at the music videos from then. I’d say 2013-present still has a modern/clear quality of music videos but the outfits and trends from 2013-2017 look outdated now. 2018 is on the edge.

Old 10-03-2022, 04:15 PM

68 posts, read 46,761 times
I really don’t think fashion has changed very much. Day to day, so many people wear athleisure or sweatshirts that “style,” is less common at all.

Jeans and t shirts are the norm, and that’s pretty timeless.

That said, it has changed. Skinny jeans have lost their chokehold. I personally no longer wear them, favoring a straight leg / slight wide leg and slightly cropped just because I’m short so it’s easier to find ankle length pants, but I like the look anyway.

Wider leg pants are in. Pleated wide leg trousers that are menswear inspired, which I can’t really get behind. I prefer a more streamlined look. But I also don’t see many people in real life wearing what brands and influencers want to tell us is fashionable.

Tops are more cropped, helped by high waisted pants, although now kids are going back to lower rise.

Fashion used to be more sparkly and chintzy and now I think many people gravitate to a streamlined look, following the trajectory of Kim K ditching the sparkle and being styled by Kanye, which was weirdly a huge cultural force.

In that vein, neutral outfits are hugely trending, especially the color brown.

Anything goes which is cool. You can draw from any era and still look fashionable. The downside to this (and the cause) is that there’s no over-arching vibe of now.

Our culture on the whole right now is trash. Popular music and fashion have been destroyed by the mega-corporations that control everything. Creativity requires risk, which can be costly, so they stick to what they know works, which sadly has made everything formulaic and vanilla.

Everything is so expensive and there’s so many cost pressures on brands to churn out cheap clothing that there’s no real sense of beauty, detail or style.

The rising use of technology and social media has leveled out any sense of individualism because people spend too much time consuming content to have a clear idea of who they are, which is required to have a keen sense of style.

The last decade of real creativity was the 90s.

Old 10-10-2022, 01:41 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,316,514 times
beardless / spiky hair reminds me of the early 00s, beards became popular in the late 00s as far as I'm concerned.

If anything, lately I feel like the beard is less popular and is more something for middle aged guys (like me), whereas some younger guys favor a cleaner more androgynous style.

I feel like there's a recent merger of women and men styles due to covid and feminist movements, whereas 10 years ago men looked more masculine and women looked more feminine. That is especially true for 20-somethings.

As I'm getting older I'm paying less attention to fashion, but it's funny to see teenagers dressed in styles that were popular when I was in high school myself in the late 90s.

Old 10-10-2022, 09:37 AM

6,609 posts, read 12,115,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
No people don't seem to dress any differently than the 1990s. Technology is the only thing that's changed. Oh and covid too.
I thought people used to dress nicer in the 1990's, at least in the US. I remember "The Rachel" (from Friends) look being popular back then. It's starting to come back somewhat being in the post-pandemic world so many want to dress up more. It also had a resurgence in the late 2000's/early 2010's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty