Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 07:02 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times

Advertisements

There's all kinds of whites. There's creamy whites and blue whites, which shouldn't be put together. I think a lovely shade of barely warm white could be pared with even warmer whites and it wouldn't look all the same, but very well put together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2022, 10:59 AM

1,031 posts, read 561,806 times
OP, I love Naomi Watts’s look in the Watcher. She played an artist which the styling was pretty on point. (I also love her thick black framed glasses.)

I love all white look (I decorated our living room all white with different texture/materials after the Parisian Haussmann style.) and I think based on your description you can pull it off. Being petite (I’m very tiny myself too.) is good, you can wear all white without looking bigger. Think about Hitchcock blonde, make it tailored, fit and in good texture. White will never be out of style and it’s subject to looking dirty easily so invest in quality.

Play with different texture and material. You can have cashmere white sweater, soft white trouser/pant (with more flow-y look, sort of 1920 Cafe Society look.) or skinny cigarette pants like Audrey Hepburn did. Google boucle shearling coat, you’d see a few of white/creamy/beige variations. Depends where you live, you can even get a pair of white riding gloves to make it even more Hitchcock blond.

Or you can do white faux-fur coat, make it a bit rock n roll.

You can pull the all white look without looking washed out. Make sure the fit is good, skin is clean and with light makeup, make the eyes pop, don’t wear too much accessories but if you do wear them simple and wear them less. Make the whole look understated luxury, it’s quiet but it speaks so much.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-10-2022, 05:42 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I'm blonde, green eyes. Creamy skin. When I attempted to tan I didn't tan well. Jewel tone like you mentioned overwhelmed me.
Petite? Check (AKA: Funsize!)

Green eyes? Check

Blonde w/ creamy skin tones? Check

White is "OK' but it could wash you out with that light skin tone. Don't try to compensate with over the top red lipstick. That draws too much attention to your lips. (Less is more, here.)

Green eyes usually means:

1. Ferrari red A-line dress w/ white belt and/or white piping (or serging.)

2. Royal blue dress with pearls (Mauve/pink if you got them.)

3. Emerald green dress/pantsuit is always smart, when you have green orbs.

Since you're petite, you can get away with white, but be careful about over doing your make-up to compensate.

Good luck!

Old 12-10-2022, 11:07 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
OP, I love Naomi Watts’s look in the Watcher. She played an artist which the styling was pretty on point. (I also love her thick black framed glasses.)

I love all white look (I decorated our living room all white with different texture/materials after the Parisian Haussmann style.) and I think based on your description you can pull it off. Being petite (I’m very tiny myself too.) is good, you can wear all white without looking bigger. Think about Hitchcock blonde, make it tailored, fit and in good texture. White will never be out of style and it’s subject to looking dirty easily so invest in quality.

Play with different texture and material. You can have cashmere white sweater, soft white trouser/pant (with more flow-y look, sort of 1920 Cafe Society look.) or skinny cigarette pants like Audrey Hepburn did. Google boucle shearling coat, you’d see a few of white/creamy/beige variations. Depends where you live, you can even get a pair of white riding gloves to make it even more Hitchcock blond.

Or you can do white faux-fur coat, make it a bit rock n roll.

You can pull the all white look without looking washed out. Make sure the fit is good, skin is clean and with light makeup, make the eyes pop, don’t wear too much accessories but if you do wear them simple and wear them less. Make the whole look understated luxury, it’s quiet but it speaks so much.

Hope this helps.
I LOVE everything you suggested! I also really liked Naomi Watt's thick black glasses. When I am due for glasses, I'll give them a try. I've always stuck with tortoise shell.

I agree with you - think Hitchcock Blonde. Something needs to be tight for a petite woman to pull this off - like the cigarette pants - maybe mixed with a flowy cafe society look.

I prefer faux fur in small doses - as a collar or trim. I think for me, at least, full on faux full would be too much to carry off.

I am looking at a Calvin Klien coat.

Old 12-11-2022, 02:48 AM

I bought this coat tonight - https://www.macys.com/shop/product/c...XVRjxFvW4g8anE

Old 12-11-2022, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
There's all kinds of whites. There's creamy whites and blue whites, which shouldn't be put together. I think a lovely shade of barely warm white could be pared with even warmer whites and it wouldn't look all the same, but very well put together.
Agree. The barely warm white you describe, is what I am hoping to find in the coat I bought. I think it's described as "pearl". I posted a link above.

ALL of you have been SO helpful and non-critical that I'm feeling that holiday generosity. If I haven't repped you before, I will before Christmas, Hanukah or whatever your tradition.

Oh, and if you have decided to go white on white this Holiday Season, or you are thinking about it for winter or New Year, let me know. I *may* post.

"Good tidings of comfort and joy to all"

Old 12-11-2022, 09:49 AM

1,031 posts, read 561,806 times
Quote:
I LOVE everything you suggested! I also really liked Naomi Watt's thick black glasses. When I am due for glasses, I'll give them a try. I've always stuck with tortoise shell.

I agree with you - think Hitchcock Blonde. Something needs to be tight for a petite woman to pull this off - like the cigarette pants - maybe mixed with a flowy cafe society look.

I prefer faux fur in small doses - as a collar or trim. I think for me, at least, full on faux full would be too much to carry off.

I am looking at a Calvin Klien coat.
So glad you are going for it. Have fun, I’m sure you will rock the look!

Ps. Repped you buy sorry I don’t know how to leave comment.

Old 12-11-2022, 07:53 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
I think it’s classic for a reason. It looks good. I also agree with you about the tonal qualities of white. They need to be very similar which means you’re going to have to go with a brand or do something like pale gray pants.

I haven’t been paying attention to fashion or clothing, but at least in the old days the brands made clothing that was complementary with each other. So if they were doing a white on white, the blouse would match the skirt which match the jacket with a sweater on purpose. but the white on white from I can’t think of any damn designers so Bill will not be the same white on white the Dave does.

I would also suggest although this is kind of a pain if you find something that you like and looks good on but you’re not sure about the color, make sure you can return it and purchase it. A lot of the color in department stores is fluorescent, and with optical brighteners in fabric they can throw shades. Take it home try it on there and look in natural lighting.

Old 12-18-2022, 07:51 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,067 times
I'm not a white gal. I used to be a nurse and wore white every day and can't stand wearing white now, nor cream or any variation of it. I prefer dark colors. My winter wardrobe is largely all black or other dark colors and I don't like the way white looks with dark coats, sweaters, boots, etc.--too much of a contrast. I do wear white pants in the summer. White looks good with navy and tan and pink and other lighter colors which I wear in the summer. I don't wear these in the winter. For instance, I have a dark green turtleneck sweater and I don't like the way it looks with white. Black or gray, yes.

I have a friend who is a white person. Everything she buys is white. White, white white. If we go out shopping together, invariably she will flip over yet another white sweater, coat, or handbag. In the winter she wears white shoes, white coat, white hat, white gloves, and carries a white handbag. Too much white already. She was never a bride so maybe white makes her feel like a bride, lol.

Old 12-18-2022, 09:00 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Quote:
Agree. The barely warm white you describe, is what I am hoping to find in the coat I bought. I think it's described as "pearl". I posted a link above.

ALL of you have been SO helpful and non-critical that I'm feeling that holiday generosity. If I haven't repped you before, I will before Christmas, Hanukah or whatever your tradition.

Oh, and if you have decided to go white on white this Holiday Season, or you are thinking about it for winter or New Year, let me know. I *may* post.

"Good tidings of comfort and joy to all"
Great coat! I do think, however, that this white is on the blue side instead of the yellow side of the pallette. You'll notice they paired it with a grey sweater. So watch out, if when it comes this is the case, you'll want to keep your whites cool instead of going creamy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty