Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 12:10 PM

3,126 posts, read 1,013,961 times

Advertisements

I like this one, quite fun. (but I would get rid of the long gray necklace and the huge bag)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/150589181282580153/

Last edited by farm108; 12-20-2022 at 12:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2022, 05:25 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
classic and elegant. very nice choice!

Old 12-20-2022, 05:47 PM

11,639 posts, read 12,709,490 times
I really like the coat that you purchased from Macy's, Sheena. My mother loved the all white look and would point it out to me. I never could pull off white or yellow. It makes me look washed out and I used to hate in school when we had to wear a white top for some assembly or other occasion. White just does not look good on me. If I wore white, it would be pants or a skirt. However, where I live, it's just not practical so I don't have many white bottom pieces any more. Wearing white on the LIRR or the subway is just stupid.

Old 12-20-2022, 05:49 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
I like this one, quite fun. (but I would get rid of the long gray necklace and the huge bag)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/150589181282580153/
That's what I would do.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:46 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,353,101 times
I'm a bit envious of those that can pull off an all white look. With my dark hair and skin tone I just look washed out. I prefer a light cream color paired with something darker.

Old 12-25-2022, 02:02 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
[quote=Coney;64623801]I really like the coat that you purchased from Macy's, Sheena. My mother loved the all white look and would point it out to me. I never could pull off white or yellow. It makes me look washed out and I used to hate in school when we had to wear a white top for some assembly or other occasion. White just does not look good on me. If I wore white, it would be pants or a skirt. However, where I live, it's just not practical, so I don't have many bottom pieces anymore

Wearing white on the LIRR or the subway is just stupid

Made me laugh with recognition as a NYer in Exile. I'll add most cabs and a special nod to the notoriously dirty Oyster Bay line, where I grew up, and used frequently.

Maybe there's a reason why New Yorker/ Long Islanders are known for wearing black. I love black and always will. Mostly white, with black leather gloves and black pants or jeans also looks pretty striking.

Cleveland - where we are spending Christmas, is not a newly built, sterile city. Which may be one reason I like it. I got some winter white jeans - but when we go to the theatre tomorrow, I am opting for black, from the waist down.

Old 12-25-2022, 04:56 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
Quote:
I love the look, and I have been seeing it in films, and in real live. It's lush, yet classic. Festive, yet not tacky. Classic but not stuffy. Sexy in a demure way.

I have a few white sweaters, but I have never worn "white on white" - ALL white - and this season, I'd like to try it. My problem? Many of the women who wear it seem tall. Many are also blond. And just bigger.

Does this look best on larger women? The clothes are generally not tailored. I just saw Naomi Watts in "The Watcher" and I think she wore white all through show. Her take on it was less dressy and formal than others.

I'm going to look through Saks and perhaps go there and try on some outfits. Ann Taylor had some nice petites.

Does anyone else like this look? Does it work on smaller women? Any stores that you recommend?
Love white and white/white. One of my favorite outfits when I was working was a Jones New York white double breasted blazer and pants. Would wear with a white turtleneck and gold jewelry, pearl heels.

Last week I wore J Crew white jeans and a Chico's black/white stripe turtleneck.

Old 01-03-2023, 08:53 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,009,990 times
I love and wear a monochromatic look and have done so for years. I think the whites need to compliment each other. As an Interior Designer by trade texture and variance is a good thing . It adds depth. I love to also combine camel coats or blazers and shoes with this look.

I am tall 5'11" but think a petite person could carry it off with the right proportions in the clothing. Oh and I am fair skinned and brunette. I am especially fond of a turtleneck sweater fitted with my hair pulled back and large sunglasses.

Old 01-06-2023, 01:09 PM

5,134 posts, read 4,486,386 times
I love white outfits because white is my most flattering color. I am tall, fair-skinned and have thick black hair.

I especially love a well-tailored white jacket, with a white turtleneck, white straight leg pants, and nude high heels. It looks so crisp. In the summer I love white jeans with white collared long-sleeve shirts, or white form-fitting sleeveless knit tops. These create a very simple but elegant look.

I think shoes and handbags in a nude color work best with these outfits, as it doesn’t detract from the all white look. A statement belt or jewelry is always a striking addition.

Old 01-06-2023, 03:04 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
I love the look, and I have been seeing it in films, and in real live. It's lush, yet classic. Festive, yet not tacky. Classic but not stuffy. Sexy in a demure way.

I have a few white sweaters, but I have never worn "white on white" - ALL white - and this season, I'd like to try it. My problem? Many of the women who wear it seem tall. Many are also blond. And just bigger.

Does this look best on larger women? The clothes are generally not tailored. I just saw Naomi Watts in "The Watcher" and I think she wore white all through show. Her take on it was less dressy and formal than others.

I'm going to look through Saks and perhaps go there and try on some outfits. Ann Taylor had some nice petites.

Does anyone else like this look? Does it work on smaller women? Any stores that you recommend?
Question seems aimed at women, but as a man with pale complexion and a bit of ginger (Irish descent, more brown hair than red) I'd look like a White Walker from a certain somewhat-recent show.

White in general isn't so swell on me, washes me out. To theme of thread: W/W not a chance. I do however often run with:
  • White on red, black accents: striking contrast
  • White on blue: not the worst look. Brighter blues better.
  • White with safety yellow and black accents: kind of interesting, definitely contrast-y.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty