Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 07:34 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
https://www.vogue.com/article/best-a...-coats-jackets - this is a new article from this season, so I don’t think they are out.

The one issue I see with the ones featured is that most are quite short. The one in the main picture looks fine, but when it is cold out, I think most people prefer to have a longer option that covers at least to below the hips. I see that as more of an issue that having an included hat. As it is, jacks with hats often have problems anyway- they will often blow off or you can’t wear them when you are driving due to visibility issues with peripheral vision. Just a quick google search found jackets roughly in the CD/Montclair range that are shearling, so certainly if you have that money to spend you can get a long and gorgeous shearling coat.
This - I'm not a kid going to school who can get by with a cute coat that hits barely below the waist...especially not when paired with jeans (jeans in the winter are the worst!). I need a coat to hit at least mid-thigh or better yet just above the knee and that would make a shearling coat really heavy. So I usually go with down - a true parka (not the short, thin jackets they call parkas these days).

For that reason when I read reviews of how warm a coat is I look for where they live. A "warm" coat in W. Virginia is not gonna cut it...I need something to be warm for someone in Chicago or Minneapolis before I trust it for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 08:17 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,074,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
You do know that sheep are killed to make shearling coats, don't you? Look up the process. You can have a warm & stylish coat that does not involve animal torture & slaughter.
Sir, this is Wendy’s!

Old 12-06-2022, 08:49 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Heavy, no hoods. Not the first choice for actual cold weather. More of a fashion statement than a coat actually meant for outdoor wear when it's cold.
Those arctic people are all about the fashion statements and not at all about keeping warm. Shearling is quite warm and most arctic people traditionally wore animal skins and fur to keep warm. Another benefit is that they originally kept animals warm and dry, so they should do that for humans as well as historically people used the animals locally to make clothing.

Old 12-07-2022, 06:42 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,683,589 times
What I see people wearing in Boston in January when it's really cold are things like this:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1248...1&csp=f&pos=46

The ”Canada Goose” brand is overpriced and so I don't see a lot of thrifty Yankees wearing those.

There are less expensive brands than Bean's. I bought a great mid-weight coat (which is a heavy coat in Texas) from Marshall's one spring.

This is what I think of ”Shearling”: stylish, heavy, no hood, yeah you can fold the collar up but it's not going to give you what a hood does.

https://www.overland.com/Products/Ne...Coat/PID-10100

You also have to gauge what you're going to be doing. If you've got a two mile walk from the station to a bus stop where you have to stand for up to a half hour, and it's 5 degrees out, you're not going to be exerting yourself enough to sweat. In that case you want the super-heavy coat with a hood (not the stylish shearling jacket).

If you're going to spend an hour shoveling snow, you'll be sweating profusely and you'll want to go with multiple thin layers, and definitely wool., because (as noted above) it keeps you warm even when wet . In that case the super-heavy coat probably doesn't apply unless it's 30 below in Minnesota.

If it's raining, it's not cold enough for the real heavy coat anyway, so you can wear your stylish shearling and get soaked, or you can put on a raincoat. For me, when it rains heavy, I do the least fashionable thing possible and I wear a proper raincoat, bright yellow (helps visibility crossing parking lots in a downpour), rubber, comes down to my knees and has a hood) - you know, like firemen, traffic cops, etc. wear when it's raining.

You know ”wool keeps you warm when it's wet” is only kind of true; it won't suck alll the heat out of you instantly like cotton, but you'll still be damn cold. The best way to prevent hypothermia from being wet is to stay dry. As in, raincoat.

Old 12-07-2022, 12:11 PM

3,272 posts, read 1,750,300 times
Those jackets make you look like the Marlboro man.

Old 12-07-2022, 12:14 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Heavy, no hoods. Not the first choice for actual cold weather. More of a fashion statement than a coat actually meant for outdoor wear when it's cold.
I don't agree. They aren't heavy (down, not feathers) and are exceptionally warm. I own one, so I actually know.
I totally agree with Parnassia.

Down filled coats are not shearling coats.

Depends on your source, some say that:
Shearling coats are made from processed lambskin, sheepskin, or pelt.
Shearling coats are strong and rugged, more so than any other material or cloth. They're also warmer than duck or goose down. They're lighter than fur in terms of weight.

Others:
Goose down fill is the gold standard in thermal insulation, so down-filled jackets will definitely keep you warm. Some down-filled jackets are warmer than others, though, and this is determined by the fill power and the total amount of down used in the jacket – the higher the number, the warmer the jacket.
Loftier down gets the highest ratings, and it's the warmest, lightest, and most compressible

So, let's agree that both are very, very warm.

Last edited by elnina; 12-07-2022 at 12:23 PM..

Old 12-07-2022, 01:21 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't agree. They aren't heavy (down, not feathers) and are exceptionally warm. I own one, so I actually know.
I totally agree with Parnassia.

Down filled coats are not shearling coats.

Depends on your source, some say that:
Shearling coats are made from processed lambskin, sheepskin, or pelt.
Shearling coats are strong and rugged, more so than any other material or cloth. They're also warmer than duck or goose down. They're lighter than fur in terms of weight.

Others:
Goose down fill is the gold standard in thermal insulation, so down-filled jackets will definitely keep you warm. Some down-filled jackets are warmer than others, though, and this is determined by the fill power and the total amount of down used in the jacket – the higher the number, the warmer the jacket.
Loftier down gets the highest ratings, and it's the warmest, lightest, and most compressible

So, let's agree that both are very, very warm.
The biggest drawback to down is keeping it dry/clean. It isn't very durable and won't keep the wearer warm when wet (even moist such as from perspiration) or soiled. A shearling garment will. Once the condition of the down itself is compromised, it does exactly nothing for you.

Old 12-07-2022, 04:56 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,329,814 times
I machine-wash our down jackets, down duvets regularly.
Would love to own a Shearling jacket, but the cost of dry-cleaning it is putting me off permanently.

Old 12-07-2022, 07:51 PM

1,824 posts, read 804,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Sir, this is Wendy’s!
1. What does this mean?

2. Don't call me sir, wrong gender.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:05 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,074,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
1. What does this mean?

2. Don't call me sir, wrong gender.
It means we’re talking about clothes and here you are going full PETArd.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/sir-this-is-a-wendys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty