Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 05:46 PM

19,400 posts, read 15,227,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I have one clear polish I use for both base and topcoat. Been doing that for years and my nails are not stained
If anything, I would prefer to use only color and a top coat, in order to make it last longer but mostly so if I accidentally brush my nail against something, it doesn't leave a streak.

Red seems to be the color that stains most often on me, but luckily I don't use it that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2023, 05:52 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Back when I wore nail polish -- when I was still young, thin, hot, and gave a damn -- I remember reading that if you didn't use a clear base coat, your nails would discolor. Alas, mine seemed to turn orange (I wore A LOT of polish) whether I used a base coat or not, whereas my friends never seemed to have that problem, for some reason. So maybe that wasn't true?

Old 03-08-2023, 08:14 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,398,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king john IV View Post
"Is it really necessary?"

no, not really.
two coats (base/color) last twice as long...
but cost (time/money) twice as much.

it sort of depends upon your definiton of "necessary".
So my nails don't explode?

I don't use very dark polishes on my fingernails any longer (toes: another story) but I ordered a base coat anyway.

Thanks.

Old 03-09-2023, 07:16 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I haven't done the base coat/color/top coat thing in decades. I'm too impatient. Two reasons for doing it, that I'm aware of, are to help the color grab on and last, and to prevent your nails from being stained by certain colors.
^^ This ^^ Especially if you wear a darker color on your nails. The base coat helps protect your nails.

Old 04-26-2023, 05:46 PM

I ended up with a Sally Hansen 'primer.' It's got a huge brush and is thick and semi-opaque, so the first time I wore it, I wore it alone and it lasted a week. That's good mileage.

It's also good for smoothing out your nail. Pretty happy with it!

Old 04-27-2023, 09:36 AM

19,400 posts, read 15,227,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
I ended up with a Sally Hansen 'primer.' It's got a huge brush and is thick and semi-opaque, so the first time I wore it, I wore it alone and it lasted a week. That's good mileage.

It's also good for smoothing out your nail. Pretty happy with it!
Good to hear. I love those wide, flat brushes!

Old 04-27-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Good to hear. I love those wide, flat brushes!
Me, too.

I now have it under a coat of Essie Vanity Fairest (light pink shimmer). Kind of a nice effect.

Old 04-28-2023, 11:34 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
I use at least three coats, depending on how good the coverage is with the colored polish.

A base of Sally Hanson's Hard as Wraps. It lays down thick and smooth and creates a nylon tough coat.

Then the color.

Then a topcoat of Hard as Wraps.

Be protective of, gentle with, this for at least twenty-four hours. It's dry but it seems to need a good couple of days to cure.

With this method I can get at least two weeks of wear from my nails. Sometimes longer depending on the household tasks I'm performing. I've had it last as long as four weeks on vacation but by then, of course, the new nail has grown out quite a bit.

It may seem more expensive but in the long run keeps me from having to touch up or redo so often.

Old 05-08-2023, 09:51 AM

285 posts, read 927,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Is it really necessary? Is there any difference between something sold as a base coat, and clear nail polish? Any experiences, recommendations, are welcome. Thanks.
I use a base coat then about 2 coats of color then a high end top coat. As previously mentioned the base coat helps to protect the nail bed from getting stain with the color that you choose along with giving the polish a good foundation to stick to.

I redo the top coat every 2-3 days to help the polish last longer. It normally lasts about 2 weeks before I have to redo it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty