Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2023, 08:48 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,259,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I love it! Plus 1 but I'd give more rep if I could.

Your daughter's choice of hair color sounds really pretty.

I will say what I was thinking, but did not want to say - "I've never seen a woman who covered her hair with a flattering color...who didn't look immediately younger and fresher".

The GOTG crowd says that they don't care about looking older.

I admit that I do. I don't want to look ONE SECOND older than I actually am. And I DO want to look younger. And I do look younger.

If anyone chooses to color their hair just forget about CLAIROL or any other drugstore brands. They are loaded with chemicals and will ultimately ruin your hair, and perhaps, your health. Unless you are flat broke, have your

I've gotten to many reps from posters who agree with my beliefs about hair color going grey. They seem to feel shy about speeking out because this grey thing is coming as a moral imperative, and a social statement. It's a personal choice, and we are not asking opinions.
Totally agree! I was a swimmer until I was 14 (at school and for country clubs). My hair was all different colors - blonde, light brown, brown. Yes, I wore a cap most of the time but there were days I did not.

I started getting my hair frosted about 40 years ago. Blonde highlights. Takes about 3 hours but it was a 2 part process for my stylist (his creation for me) and I still get rave reviews. I only get it done about 3-4 times a year so not bad. He has not seen much grey yet but grey looks just horrible on me.

My husband's aunt had to be frugal. She was a single mom of 4 in a time when that was not the case. She worked hard all her life and finally came to Florida to live with my FIL. One thing she always did was color her hair (salon) and she also had her nails and toes done. It was her treat to herself and she deserved every bit of it. She passed away at 92. We have a picture of her at 90. One of her daughters is 69 in the picture. You think the daughter is the older one. She used to pull out that picture all the time and say "Guess which one I am?" Sweet woman. We miss her.

My own mother went white at 36. According to most, she had lovely hair. I loved my mom dearly but she did look prettier with dark hair. We all were terrified it would happen to one of us (3 daughters) but it did not. Both my sisters have beautiful, dark hair.

I'm all for women doing what they want and I'm in the "no grey for me" camp but I will admit it looks nice on others - I just know it is not my color at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2023, 04:23 AM

24,135 posts, read 32,552,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I went throught the eyebrow dilemma for a while. As a brunette going gray, I started coloring my hair a medium mahogony brown and am happy with it, but what to do about graying brows? Not only that they were getting gray and white hairs in them, but those hairs were coarse and unruly.

I tried brow pencils, powders, gels, and even special eyebrow dye. I wasn't happy with any of the results. Most were difficult to use or too harsh/unnatural looking.

Then I discovered eyebrow mascara and found the answer! The brand I use is NYC Professional Makeup Eyebrow Mascara. The color Chocolate works for me. It colors and tames my brows perfectly. Hope they never discontinue it. You can get it at Target, or order on Amazon.
I'm going to try that brand of eyebrow mascara that you mention. When I first started getting unruly greys in my brows, I tried a few brands. One flaked into my eyes and the other was gloppy and hard to use.

Even though I go to Ulta, as they grow out, sometimes it's hard to det an appointment and I need a little help between tinting. The Brow Guy is very popular around here and sometimes it's hard to get an appointment with him. It's good to have a backup plan.

Old 03-27-2023, 05:25 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,517,585 times
I hate grey on myself. Got my first grey at 29. It doen't look good on me. Some people look great in grey hair but not me.

Old 03-27-2023, 08:50 AM

3,381 posts, read 1,985,053 times
I think we're all conditioned to say that someone looks better after they've gone grey even if we don't really feel that way. We might be thought rude if we didn't.

I'm wondering if when someone goes grey, there's a tendency to wear less or no makeup. My friends (and me) who color their hair wear make up. My friends who have gone grey usually don't. There might be a correlation there.

Last edited by rfomd129; 03-27-2023 at 09:13 AM..

Old 03-27-2023, 08:54 AM

11,087 posts, read 6,937,467 times
I still wear makeup. Lipstick, eye shadow and mascara. I cannot go without it. I would look 10 years older than I am. I always wear at least lipstick. I wonder why your friends stopped wearing makeup?

Old 03-27-2023, 08:57 AM

29,759 posts, read 34,459,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post

I'm wondering if when someone goes grey, there's a tendency to wear less or no makeup. My friends (and me) who color their hair wear make up. My friends who have gone grey usually don't. There might be a correlation there.
I don't think that's true at all. Someone's color palette might change when they go grey, especially if they used to have darker hair, but going grey doesn't mean giving up on having fun with hair and makeup.

Old 03-27-2023, 09:00 AM

Right. My color palette with clothing hasn't changed much because I was auburn before going grey. The colors I used to wear still look good.

Old 03-27-2023, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I still wear makeup. Lipstick, eye shadow and mascara. I cannot go without it. I would look 10 years older than I am. I always wear at least lipstick. I wonder why your friends stopped wearing makeup?
Not all of them, but I would say most who went grey gave up or lessened their makeup too. I also see it when I'm out and about in my area. It could be peculiar to southwest Florida (beach town) or just a lifestyle change.

I believe women should do whatever they want with their hair. I know that women like me who do color our hair, get more than their share of other women trying to convince them to go grey. That's the only part of the going grey trend that I don't like.

Old 03-27-2023, 09:06 AM

I find that strange. I don't need validation for going grey. I can't understand why these women are insistent upon telling someone else what to do with their hair.

In fact, sometimes I see a woman with the hair color I used to have (colored) and I get wistful but only for a minute or two.

Old 03-27-2023, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I find that strange. I don't need validation for going grey. I can't understand why these women are insistent upon telling someone else what to do with their hair.

In fact, sometimes I see a woman with the hair color I used to have (colored) and I get wistful but only for a minute or two.
I'm glad to hear that pathrunner. I always enjoy your posts so I wouldn't think you would be someone who would have the chutzpah to remark on what other women should or shouldn't do

People like me and Sheena know all too well what it's like to get told we should give up the dye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty