Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2023, 09:42 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times

Advertisements

Right, I hope people aren't thinking that I'm suggesting everyone go grey. Some people don't look good with grey hair. I got lucky. I hate to think of having to coloring my hair every 10 days because of solid white roots and pink scalp. It just got to be too much. Too many chemicals 3x per month, and time-consuming. I did it myself.

My hair is a lot darker in the back (still has quite a bit of pigment) and it bothers me but I don't really see it so oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2023, 11:47 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,296,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I went throught the eyebrow dilemma for a while. As a brunette going gray, I started coloring my hair a medium mahogony brown and am happy with it, but what to do about graying brows? Not only that they were getting gray and white hairs in them, but those hairs were coarse and unruly.

I tried brow pencils, powders, gels, and even special eyebrow dye. I wasn't happy with any of the results. Most were difficult to use or too harsh/unnatural looking.

Then I discovered eyebrow mascara and found the answer! The brand I use is NYC Professional Makeup Eyebrow Mascara. The color Chocolate works for me. It colors and tames my brows perfectly. Hope they never discontinue it. You can get it at Target, or order on Amazon.
Wow! Thanks for that tip. There's an ULTA near me. I'll head in (never been in there) and have a nose around.

Old 03-26-2023, 01:52 PM

21,534 posts, read 8,718,127 times
For those who want to go gray but are concerned about the growing out process, I suggest getting highlights and/or lowlights. That's what I did, and it worked really well to blend the gray roots with the rest of my hair.

Before-and-after photos attached.
Attached Thumbnails
The women who are turning grey into the new black-img_2793.jpg   The women who are turning grey into the new black-img_4394.jpeg  

Old 03-26-2023, 01:55 PM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
For those who want to go gray but are concerned about the growing out process, I suggest getting highlights and/or lowlights. That's what I did, and it worked really well to blend the gray roots with the rest of my hair.

I think you look great with grey hair, I like it better. I just got my hair cut that length, no bangs, and I really like it. It's a cute cut, not an old lady style, lol.

Old 03-26-2023, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Your colorist is excellent! It looks fantastic.

Old 03-26-2023, 02:15 PM

17,353 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I love it! Plus 1 but I'd give more rep if I could.

Your daughter's choice of hair color sounds really pretty.

I will say what I was thinking, but did not want to say - "I've never seen a woman who covered her hair with a flattering color...who didn't look immediately younger and fresher".

The GOTG crowd says that they don't care about looking older.

I admit that I do. I don't want to look ONE SECOND older than I actually am. And I DO want to look younger. And I do look younger.

If anyone chooses to color their hair just forget about CLAIROL or any other drugstore brands. They are loaded with chemicals and will ultimately ruin your hair, and perhaps, your health. Unless you are flat broke, have your

I've gotten to many reps from posters who agree with my beliefs about hair color going grey. They seem to feel shy about speeking out because this grey thing is coming as a moral imperative, and a social statement. It's a personal choice, and we are not asking opinions.
I want to look like myself. And, right now, the brunette looking back at me in the mirror looks like me.

Maybe one day the white haired version of me will feel more like me. But now? Nope. Not quite ready for that model, yet.

Old 03-26-2023, 02:18 PM

That's a very good point. Because I cold-turkeyed growing out my grey, I had a chance to get used to how it looked. And it did look terrible while growing out. I've been looking at photos from that time (you know how Google Photos pulls up this day X years ago). Glad those days are long gone!

Old 03-26-2023, 03:00 PM

17,353 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Quote:

Your hair color and style look nice. Your natural gray almost looks like ash blond and looks good with your complexion. With me, I'd have white hair which I'm not quite ready for at 57.

Old 03-26-2023, 06:07 PM

21,534 posts, read 8,718,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Your hair color and style look nice. Your natural gray almost looks like ash blond and looks good with your complexion. With me, I'd have white hair which I'm not quite ready for at 57.
Thanks, springfieldva (and KaraG and pathrunner). I'm very fair and had been afraid that gray hair would wash me out too much, but it's actually the opposite. Silver hair makes my complexion look more pink. I think white hair is really striking.

Old 03-26-2023, 07:13 PM

6,575 posts, read 4,964,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm in my mid-40s and have never dyed my hair. It's probably about 10% grey at this point, and I like it. Of course everyone should do what makes them feel best, but I do roll my eyes at the idea that I've "given up" or "let myself go" because I'm not spending time and money on my hair color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
It would be great if you could find something that looks good. I've tried wigs and sadly I look ridiculous in them. I don't know why that is. It looked so bad and ridiculous that I yanked them off immediately!
I really want a wig or two, not because of the grey but my hair's thinning. I went to a wig place for a fitting last fall and they hardly had anything in my desired length. She put one on I really liked but it was a bob and my hair is still long, and I just couldn't do it. I bought a couple off amazon and they were awful. I really wanted to find one in my hair color with grey mixed in but it was impossible and I finally gave up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I can't fathom why anyone would tell another person what they should do with their hair, either. I can honestly say that I've never done that, in my life.

A few weeks ago on Facebook, a friend of mine circulated two photographs of herself in two different hairstyles that she had in the recent past and asked us to vote for which we preferred. About five of us were ASKED for our opinions. I selected one of the hairstyles, but emphasized that she is so pretty that she would look good in either style. I meant that.

The "edge" in the Grow Out The Grey crowd that I do not like are the following implications. -

1. That women who GOTG are somehow more virtuous and honest

2. That women who color their hair are wasteful and spend too much time on themselves.
In my circle of friends I've had a handful who decided to stop coloring and let their hair grow out. Your points are funny because for years THEY were the wasteful ones! And now all of the sudden we get the post with the many pictures, full explanation, and followups every quarter as to how it's going.

Funny thing is, half of them got tired of it growing out and started coloring again.

I never colored my hair so I didn't have to worry about the slow grow out

(those 80s perms were bad enough!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty