Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 09:15 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,860,952 times

Advertisements

That's just so strange and I'm sorry they are behaving that way. Tell them to leave you alone! Maybe you have and they have doubled down.

And well, I hate wispy stringy long hair but I would never go up to someone in public and tell them to trim their hair!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2023, 10:14 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,561,064 times
My girlfriend is going gray but dyes her hair blond. I like it and so does she. Most people have pegged her at late 30s to mid 40s but she is 56. If she went gray she would look like here age.

Old 03-27-2023, 10:16 AM

17,353 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I think we're all conditioned to say that someone looks better after they've gone grey even if we don't really feel that way. We might be thought rude if we didn't.

I'm wondering if when someone goes grey, there's a tendency to wear less or no makeup. My friends (and me) who color their hair wear make up. My friends who have gone grey usually don't. There might be a correlation there.
When my mom allowed her hair to go white, it was like her makeup suddenly popped on her and it really looked striking with her fair skin and blue eyes. I have a somewhat darker skin tone, brown eyes, so white isn't going to look the same on me.

Grey and white hair can look lovely.

Old 03-27-2023, 10:18 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I'm in my 60's and only now is the gray really starting to come in. I have to keep after it with color, deep conditioning, and frequent touch-ups.

But, I'm going to say what one of my favorite aunts used to say. As long as there is hair color, I will never be gray.

My mother-in-law used to brag about how everyone loved her gray hair.

Then, after some encouraging by her daugher to finally get a "make over" at the salon, she chose to cover her gray in a soft, flattering light caramal color with golden hilights. Instantly took 10 years off of her.

I've never seen a woman who covered her gray with a flattering color treatment and style who didn't look immediately younger and fresher. It's work and money, admittedly, but so is keeping fit as we get older.

My opinion only of course.

This is how I feel.No matter how nice grey can look, it does age a woman. There's nothing wrong with coloring your hair to look younger if that makes you feel good.

Old 03-27-2023, 10:21 AM

7,074 posts, read 4,514,055 times
I have mostly stopped wearing makeup at 68 because after losing 50lbs I have wrinkles and I don’t think makeup helps. I still color my hair auburn every 10 weeks. During the pandemic I didn’t get it colored for 6 months and I thought it looked pretty bad. A friend of mine looked 20 years younger until she quit dying her hair and now looks her age.

Old 03-27-2023, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
My girlfriend is going gray but dyes her hair blond. I like it and so does she. Most people have pegged her at late 30s to mid 40s but she is 56. If she went gray she would look like here age.
There were a couple times a few years ago when I really considered getting it done a really nice ash blonde. Then I remembered how long it took to grow it out! Of course, it wouldn't be nearly as traumatic as growing out auburn.

Old 03-27-2023, 01:04 PM

3,374 posts, read 1,963,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I'm in my 60's and only now is the gray really starting to come in. I have to keep after it with color, deep conditioning, and frequent touch-ups.

But, I'm going to say what one of my favorite aunts used to say. As long as there is hair color, I will never be gray.

My mother-in-law used to brag about how everyone loved her gray hair.

Then, after some encouraging by her daugher to finally get a "make over" at the salon, she chose to cover her gray in a soft, flattering light caramal color with golden hilights. Instantly took 10 years off of her.

I've never seen a woman who covered her gray with a flattering color treatment and style who didn't look immediately younger and fresher. It's work and money, admittedly, but so is keeping fit as we get older.

My opinion only of course.
I'm in my sixties but when I was in my thirties and having kids I was getting my hair permed with the big waves (it was the style in the eighties) and coloring it too because I had grey hair earlier than most. I was busy with babies and didn't have a lot of time to myself so one day I said to my stylist "How do you think I would look if I stopped coloring it?" Without hesitation she said I would look ten years older but since I was only in my thirties it wouldn't be too bad.

I've never forgotten that and I still feel to this day if I went grey I would look ten years older and that's not something I want. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to look good, younger, fresher - whatever you want to call it - but I also believe every woman should do what feels right for her and not be pressured in anyway to change what they like.

Old 03-27-2023, 01:17 PM

Well, I think that can be true, but I often get mistaken for younger. As I said upthread, it's all in demeanor, dress, energy, etc. I'm not trying to look younger. I just give off that impression by who I am, rather than what I look like. It's also true that my whole family looks younger than they are. It's probably the genes.

Old 03-27-2023, 01:20 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I've never forgotten that and I still feel to this day if I went grey I would look ten years older and that's not something I want. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to look good, younger, fresher - whatever you want to call it - but I also believe every woman should do what feels right for her and not be pressured in anyway to change what they like.
Not to point fingers, but this is where a lot of the defensiveness comes from. Because I'm deciding not to dye my hair, it doesn't mean that I'm deciding to look old (not that there's anything wrong with looking old!) or frumpy or stale. I'm literally just letting my hair grow as it does with no intervention other than cutting and styling.

Old 03-27-2023, 02:47 PM

19,610 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Something about looking older than one's age. When I was younger, like in my mid twenties I looked older than most of my same age friends. I didn't like it and was told to change my makeup and hairstyle in certain ways look younger. I tried it and looked a bit younger but not better, actually looked worse. So I had to choose and I chose looking older and better to younger and worse.

I think for some the natural gray/silver/white hair just makes them look better even if they look older than if it's dyed, because it simply flatters some people.
My girlfriend who looked younger than me back in the day has gone silver gray, colors it now but I think she looks better with it natural, another one with a rosy complexion and blue eyes who looks striking with it compared to the dyed hair which doesn't have the contrast and brightness. I think she agrees it's cool but she's afraid to look "old", but she has youthful features and IMO looks better with the silver fox hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty