Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2023, 07:15 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know that women tried more in the 60s. I was a teenager, and even I tried harder. When I went to church, or downtown to shop, I wore gloves, pantyhose and high heels.

I’m not saying that formal attire is better, but there’s a happy medium between being June Cleaver and the horrid clothing that women wear in public today.
But you probably wore jeans or shorts during your leisure time, hanging out with friends, going to the grocery store, going to the movies, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2023, 08:49 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Yep. Femininity, the real one, is gone

See, what happens, if still see one

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gUXPSKpXS4I

Old 05-02-2023, 07:12 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
It went downhill with hippie fashion in the late 60s and never recovered. Starting around the mid 70s, everything started to look and seem disheveled and gritty. Every passing decade since the late 60s, fashion has been baggy, sloppy and unkempt. In the last 15 years we've got so many people covering up their whole arms or body parts with large tattoos. It's like people collectively gave up, stopped caring and now try to intentionally make themselves look butchered up, disfigured, and messy. It gives off a desolate and nihilistic vibe about society at large and where we're all going in the future.
Everything? I'm fond of 80s style. It seemed colorful, happy and playful.

Old 05-04-2023, 05:48 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
I always liked fashions. I remember looking through teen magazines such as Mademoiselle and looking at all of the gorgeous fashions. I don't have any occasions to dress up but if I did, I would love dressing up. I worked in a nice office building in the suburbs for awhile and our dress code was business casual and I always wore nice sweaters, dress pants and heeled leather boots or nice leather shoes. I just didn't understand the fat, slobby women who worked in the same office and wore their slobby disgusting leggings and Ugg boots and baggy long sweaters covering a tight, cleavage-busting top to work. They had trendy hair cuts and perfect nails but yet looked grungy and skanky.
As a kid, my favorite thing was playing with Barbie dolls. Also loved playing dress-up. I always picked the most sparky dress and loved playing with my grandmother's over the top rhinestone necklaces (which I don't recall ever having seen her wear).

We moved recently from a very cold midwestern climate to a very hot climate. I have tons more opportunities for social events here so I needed a special dress for a special event. I was looking around on google and found the perfect dress. There was one size left and it was 60% off and MY size. I had heard of the store before but didn't realize that...it was in my new town. Score. Dragged my husband down there on a Sunday to try it on. The store was my little kid playing dress up dream come true. They dress all the ladies for all the big social events in our city. The dress fit! With a few slight alterations. So now, I sometimes go there to shop and if I need something, the SA tries to help me find it. Sometimes she does and sometimes she doesn't. But wow, am I having fun! And the icing is, my SA got me in invitation to the second biggest event in town that I probably would have never gotten to go to if not for a unique set of circumstances that will probably never happen again. AND at the event, I got to watch a fashion show for my second favorite designer on the planet. And one day I was there and she said 'So and so famous person's wife is here, would you like to meet her?" Heck yes!

Sorry for the OT.

Old 05-04-2023, 05:50 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
I agree to an extent but it's also really hard to classify things so largely. Especially in the US. I know many, many people who dress exactly like you are describing, who are Americans living in the US. Most of my friends live in NYC, Chicago, LA, and other large cities have smaller dwellings, smaller closets and they dress like you are describing: high quality basics that they can mix and match.

So, yes, if you are visiting main metros in europe, you will see that, but you'll also see that in our cities here.

But also, if you look around, even in an Italian metro you will see people in athleisure, or non 'fashionable' clothing. I also guarantee you will see some younger people who look like they just rolled out of bed.

Now, if you're more used to living in a suburb or a much smaller city in the US and then you are trying to compare yourself that to Milan..yes, you will see a difference. But it's not much different than that smaller suburb to NYC or LA

All based on my personal/anecdoctal experience of course.
Possibly. I moved out of the city in 2004. So I haven't seen the daily clothes of the city since then. A lot has changed since then.

Old 05-05-2023, 04:43 AM

410 posts, read 342,974 times
Most of women's clothing amounts to nothing more than fast fashion and is very cheaply made, designed to be worn a handful of times, if that often, then tossed. Most of it is ill fitting and made from fabric that is too thin and/or very poor in quality. As a result, women just look horrible in most garments anymore, IMO.

JJ

Old 05-05-2023, 08:02 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
How far back are you guys going...1940's ?
1930s at least. By the 1940s casual fashions were already starting to develop. During WW2 a lot of women were working in traditional men's jobs, that required them to wear men's clothing. I doubt that after a hard day of working they all went home and got "dolled up" to go grocery shopping. I suspect the majority just stopped on their way home.

I'm not even sure what time period heels, gloves and hats to go grocery shopping would have been a thing. The minimum requirement for women if they didn't want to call attention to themselves would have probably been a dress and whatever shoes they wanted to wear.

Old 05-05-2023, 08:09 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
1930s at least. By the 1940s casual fashions were already starting to develop. During WW2 a lot of women were working in traditional men's jobs, that required them to wear men's clothing. I doubt that after a hard day of working they all went home and got "dolled up" to go grocery shopping. I suspect the majority just stopped on their way home.

I'm not even sure what time period heels, gloves and hats to go grocery shopping would have been a thing. The minimum requirement for a woman if they didn't want to call attention to themselves would have probably been a dress and whatever shoes they wanted to wear.
A decade later, Mom sometimes wore slacks to shop, especially when it was cold, along with her warm, hooded toggle coat. In the summer, it would have been capris with flats or wood sole high-heeled sandals, or a light cotton dress with the same footwear.

I don't recall her wearing gloves for grocery shopping, but I had an aunt who did.

Old 05-05-2023, 08:36 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
A decade later, Mom sometimes wore slacks to shop, especially when it was cold, along with her warm, hooded toggle coat. In the summer, it would have been capris with flats or wood sole high-heeled sandals, or a light cotton dress with the same footwear.

I don't recall her wearing gloves for grocery shopping, but I had an aunt who did.
Yeah, that is very consistent with a Google image search for that time period. Here is a picture in Wisconsin dated 1946. It's clearly a posed picture in an empty grocery store, but it shows one woman wearing a dress and what appears to be sandals and the other wearing slacks. I suspect that accurately represents the verity of fashion in that time period.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty