Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 07:18 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,492,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
In the link you posted they say "Is there anything quite so edgy as a super-shredded pair of jet-black skinny jeans?....
As "edgy" as super-shredded jet -black jeggings are, I actually think the butt scrunch lifting leggings (more like tights) even upstage those jeggings.

Call me old, but I am actually shocked that women go out in public wearing those things. Guess I'm not very "edgy", though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2023, 09:38 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
"Is there anything quite so edgy as a super-shredded pair of jet-black skinny jeans?

How about a super-shredded blouse that you wear with these jet-black skinny jeans? Double dose of edgy!

Who writes these texts anyway? Hilarious.

Old 03-28-2023, 09:53 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,901,334 times
I personally don't think fashion has been ugly since the 60s. I do appreciate a lot about 60s fashion however. Of course, most of this rearview mirror looking we do only remembers the good stuff, ignore the bad stuff, and also tend to think 'our' stuff was the best.

IE: I love classic, MCM architecture. It's one of my favorite periods of American architecture. However, it would be a misnomer for me to say that '60s architecture was better than today, based solely on that. There were a lot of really bad house layouts and designs then as well as some really bad methods of construction etc.

For fashion, what I like about today's world is that fashion is very purpose-driven. There is no need to put on a show just to walk down the street to go to the coffee shop or to get groceries or to walk around the lake. That doesn't mean that there is no opportunity to wear nice clothing and it doesn't mean that fashionable, high quality items are not available.

I wear nice denim and tees or button up oxfords (both short and long sleeve) often as my day-to-day. But I just got a new tux tailored and I also own other made-to-order suits. I have multiple pairs of chuck taylors, but I also have my Allen Edmonds cap toes, and nice leather boots that I've owned for nearly 10 years that I take to get re-soled when needed. I like the acceptance of of fit-for-purpose attire.

Old 03-28-2023, 10:05 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
How far back are you guys going...1940's ?
And that does bring up the fact that the OP mentions the late 60s--anyone born in the late 1960s is in their mid-50s, so anyone who remembers fashion of that time is much older than that. So you can think the fashion of the last 60 years is ugly, but it's what entire generations of people have grown up wearing. And there have always been options for people who aren't into the trends. Even when ripped jeans are sold in stores, you can buy not ripped jeans in the same place.

Old 03-28-2023, 10:09 AM

5,010 posts, read 590,308 times
OP's profile shows -age 30

Old 03-28-2023, 10:35 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
It went downhill with hippie fashion in the late 60s and never recovered. Starting around the mid 70s, everything started to look and seem disheveled and gritty. Every passing decade since the late 60s, fashion has been baggy, sloppy and unkempt. In the last 15 years we've got so many people covering up their whole arms or body parts with large tattoos. It's like people collectively gave up, stopped caring and now try to intentionally make themselves look butchered up, disfigured, and messy. It gives off a desolate and nihilistic vibe about society at large and where we're all going in the future.
I don't agree that this is true. I did hate 1980s fashion. Over the top with excess. I loved early 1960s fashion. The 1950s Dior inspired full, longer skirts are not my favorite fashioned.

Fashion is culture - what I think you hate is counter culture "Hippie Clothes". If you looked at an issue of Vogue, you would not see faded bell bottoms or peasant blouses.

Certainly, my mother, and other fashion conscious women of the time, did not dress like hippies.

Long hair and "hippie clothes" didn't appear in high schools until the very late late 60s and 1970s. Take a look at an old year book.

I agree with the poster who wrote that this is not about fashion. It's about culture wars.

Old 03-28-2023, 10:48 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't agree that this is true. I did hate 1980s fashion. Over the top with excess. I loved early 1960s fashion. The 1950s Dior inspired full, longer skirts are not my favorite fashioned.

Fashion is culture - what I think you hate is counter culture "Hippie Clothes". If you looked at an issue of Vogue, you would not see faded bell bottoms or peasant blouses.

Certainly, my mother, and other fashion conscious women of the time, did not dress like hippies.

Long hair and "hippie clothes" didn't appear in high schools until the very late late 60s and 1970s. Take a look at an old year book.

I agree with the poster who wrote that this is not about fashion. It's about culture wars.
Yes just like i specified in the title, late 1960s. Learn how to read.

Boomers and onwards, maybe late silents if you want to be specific.

Old 03-28-2023, 11:00 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
OP's profile shows -age 30
I don't see that.

Old 03-28-2023, 11:10 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I look great in jeans and a T-shirt I don't gussy up to run errands.
I do too, and often, mostly, in fact, that's what I wear.

What I don't wear are yoga pants, leggings, slippers, pajama bottoms, midriff bearing shirts that bare enormous bellies,

These are usually due to differences in class, and money. And they are as old as time.

I can distinctly remember, as a child, my mother and her cohorts, had their complaints when it came to underdressed women. They included wearing rollers in public, pointy black shoes worn with tight stretch pants with elastic straps under the bottom hem, black leather jackets on men or women, slicked back hair on men, wildly teased bouffant hairstyles, "beehives" she called them.
Big Hair in any form. I remember in the 1970s, she remarked with disdain how "cheap" young women looked in heavily sprayed Farrah Faucet hair that didn't move in the wind, any polyester pants.

Anything that wasn't fresh and natural the way jeans and tee shirts are.

Old 03-28-2023, 11:11 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,857,329 times
Too broad a generalization.

There have always been more casual and more elevated takes on fashion. Take the 90s - on the one hand you had grunge, on the other hand you had looks like Princess Diana's "revenge dress" or the styles showcased in Clueless. It might not be your cup of tea, but it's not unkempt by any stretch of the imagination.

The big difference between 1950s and before clothing versus more modern clothing is increasing levels of mass production and decreasing levels of bespoke or homemade garments and tailoring. Pretty much anything looks sharper when it's sewn specifically for the person's body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty