Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 11:50 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times

Advertisements

As we're decluttering and shedding material items that we don't have any use for, I came across a bag of my mom's jewelry. When she passed, her things were distributed to my siblings and me. I put the bag they gave me in a closet and forgot about it until now.

I have no idea if the jewelry pieces are real or costume, etc.

Would a jeweler or someone offer a service to quickly go over the pieces to determine if they have any value?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2023, 11:57 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
a jeweler can determine value and if they are real also a Pawn shop that deals with gold and silver.

Old 04-28-2023, 11:59 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
As we're decluttering and shedding material items that we don't have any use for, I came across a bag of my mom's jewelry. When she passed, her things were distributed to my siblings and me. I put the bag they gave me in a closet and forgot about it until now.

Would a jeweler or someone offer a service to quickly go over the pieces to determine if they have any value?
I'm sure if you called a jeweler and explained your situation, you could make an appointment to go over your stuff, and tell you what's real and an estimate on the value.

Old 04-28-2023, 02:51 PM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
Quote:

Yes. Look for a jeweler who advertises they will buy gold, silver, watches, etc. They will assess what you have but you could even get a head start on it and look for gold and silver markings. They will tell you if something is costume jewelry and may not be worth much.

I sold a bunch of random jewelry and gold 'remnants' (old broken chains, etc) and made $900.

Old 04-28-2023, 04:19 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
There is a gold or coin dealer in every town. They will not pay top dollar, but they will pay according to the value they can get from it.

Old 04-28-2023, 08:13 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
See if you can find any gold/silver stamps on them.
Guide:
https://pawnbrokernetwork.com/from-4...ity-and-value/

If those are family heirloom pieces, l wouldn't sell unless you are in need of cash.
Generally, when you sell pre-owned fine jewelry, you can expect to get around 20 to 50% of the original purchase price.
If you don't know anything about worth of gold you could be scammed.
Gold has quite stable worth. I wouldn't hurry with sale.

For pricing and appraisals, selling to jewelry stores is better than pawn shops. Pawn shops have high overhead costs and typically resell items at a lower price. Jewelry stores have in-house master jewelers who can provide accurate appraisals and higher prices for your jewelry.
https://mimisjewelryinc.com/jewelry-...lling-jewelry/

Old 04-28-2023, 08:20 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
There is a gold or coin dealer in every town. They will not pay top dollar, but they will pay according to the value they can get from it.
Minus their profit.

Old 04-29-2023, 02:28 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,324,871 times
Quote:

Go to a reputable jeweler, and he can tell you right away which ones are costume at no charge. As for the real pieces, he can give you the appraisals for a small fee.
Don't go to a pawn shop for the appraisals.

Old 04-29-2023, 06:01 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
They apparently have a formula for how much they will give you for gold and silver. And correct, it's not what an 'ounce of gold' would be worth because they can't really use it 'as is.' I was happy with what I go since these were things sitting in my jewelry box for years that I had absolutely no use for.

Old 04-29-2023, 07:53 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
If these pieces have gemstones, it's best to have a jeweler look at them. Older stones are often of better quality than the junk being sold today, and a significant portion of the value may lie in the stones. Don't just sell the gold and silver as scrap pieces without checking. If these are old pieces of fine jewelry, have someone who specializes in antique jewelry look at them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty