Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 06:36 AM

5,586 posts, read 6,519,238 times

Advertisements

My nails are very brittle, they crack in the protected cuticle area, they split and peel. They also have the vertical ridges. My cuticles grow like crazy. I HAVE to get them done on a regular basis, which since I am retired is monthly.

I get them taken down to just clearing the fingertips, as by the time a month goes by they are the perfect length for me but would continue to grow too long. In order to keep them looking nice without any problems I get acrylic put on and get shellac polish on my fingers and the matching regular polish on my toes. My toe nails never get chipped or broken so don't need the stronger (pricier) shellac polish.

Back in the day when I was working, I had a standing appointment every 2 weeks. Now I can get by with a month between visits. It is pricey, and has to be included into the monthly budget. But in my case it is a necessity, as I am so embarrassed by my hands/nails without them being taken care of. I would actually curl my fingers into my palms or sit with my hands under my crossed arms when in a group or club get-together.

Let it go if it bothers you. She has "paid her dues" at this point in her life. And, if the young girls who don't work or live at home or otherwise have money to burn, can pay the money for all kinds of "beauty" procedures to their bodies (tats, anyone?), your wife certainly can get her nails done when she feels like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2023, 06:55 AM

21,953 posts, read 9,528,167 times
It's normal where I live.

Old 05-20-2023, 07:29 AM

426 posts, read 269,831 times
Most people I’m around are above average income. I can’t think of any of the women that have fake nails. People around here would look at those unfavorably, same as those super long fake eyelashes.

Are you talking about fake nails?

Old 05-20-2023, 01:45 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,471,534 times
For many who people who normally get manicures, including men, every two weeks is the norm be it a $10 manicure or a $40+ manicure.

Old 05-20-2023, 05:10 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,355,638 times
I do mine myself. I've always like doing them. I do have more time now that i'm retired, but i did them myself even when i was working.

I would say that after a week or so sometimes i need to do touch-ups. But i make sure to put a top coat on and that helps.

I do put cream and nail treatment on them and that costs money, but not nearly that much.

Old 05-21-2023, 06:48 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,981,374 times
Just like men, all women are different - and the answers here seem to prove that!

I'm not a high-maintenance gal myself, so I rarely get even a polish-only manicure. Just had a gel manicure for the FIRST time in my 46 years, since I wanted to treat my friend to one (it was her birthday) while in Las Vegas with her. It was quite expensive, like $100+ for each, but that included a pedicure too. Then it tore up my nails when I tried removing it myself after a couple weeks, so I don't think I'll do that again. But my mother and some of my friends do this regularly, and yes, it does need to be touched up every 2-3 weeks. To each their own.

Old 05-22-2023, 03:34 AM

61,794 posts, read 87,269,132 times
You should fix the issue with your nails first.

Old 05-23-2023, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,348 times
It depending on personal preference and lifestyle. Some may go weekly, and some may go monthly. I preffer once in a month.

Old 05-25-2023, 05:28 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
My finger nails are very healthy and grow fast. I keep them short. If I wanted to I could put polish on them, and sometimes I do, but mostly my lifestyle doesn’t warrant it.

My feet are something else. I cannot comfortably reach them, so I choose to go to a salon every other month, so they look nice. The same for my dh. He comes to have his feet done sometimes, too.

Old 05-27-2023, 09:27 AM

9,872 posts, read 7,753,976 times
The salon near me charges $70. I only went once. When they started to grow out and I needed them touched up they said another 2 hours and another $70. So no. I don't like the feel of polish anymore anyways, I like having my nails breathe, so I usually have no polish or maybe a light coat in the summer.

But yes, it's important for many women. Just not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty