Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 10:08 AM

522 posts, read 342,992 times

Advertisements

I've always dressed in the same way (bland or plain clothing) and always went with a regular old barber shop trim.

I have been getting these thoughts of trying some new things:

1) Go to a hair stylist and get a new hairstyle. Have them spike or maybe even add a streak of color in my hair (as one female acquaintance suggested).

2) Update my wardrobe : Buy some new buttoned shirts, fitted tees, start wearing khaki shorts instead of cargo shorts.

3) Start getting pedicures, buy some nice sandals, and start wearing them on a regular basis when wearing shorts. I enjoy wearing sandals but never felt comfortable wearing them outside of a beach or quick errand situation.

4) Get my ears pierced and start wearing a small stud in each ear. I know this is out of fashion but this is something I have been wanting to do for a long time for some reason.

Seems that some of this would be pushing gender norms but I wouldn't take it beyond that.

Should I go for it or would this come across as weird on a guy no longer in his 20s? If so, should this be a gradual process or should I do it all around the same time?

Mod note 05/29/2023: Everyone, please remember that posting copyrighted images is not permitted, per C-D's Terms of Service. Post links only to copyrighted images or material. Thank you!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-29-2023 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2023, 10:45 AM

5,010 posts, read 591,763 times
Oh, I love this!

It's not weird but wonderful!

A makeover is when you get everything done at the same time.

Treat yourself...You've really got it going on

Old 05-22-2023, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the encouragement.

Never done anything like this before.

Looking a different salons and might go for a high end place. Do they typically give advice? Normally when I go for a haircut, they ask exactly how I want it done.

Any suggestions on nice men's sandals? Someone told me that a nice leather flip flop can be dressed up or down, although I've always thought flip flops were the most casual sandals of them all.

I think the biggest hurdle will be the earrings. Not sure how family and co-workers would react but I know my family would be shocked as I've never mentioned anything about having my ears pierced. There is a place near me that offers a free consultation and I have signed up.

Old 05-22-2023, 01:41 PM

8,414 posts, read 7,409,375 times
The Bravo TV Show Qu**r Eye for the Straight Guy premiered twenty years ago, using the premise that guys need make-overs in their clothing, their living quarters, and their social lives. AFAIK, it ran for 8 years, had international spin-offs, and got a Netflix reboot in 2018.

A guy looking for a make-over isn't weird at all, not in this day and age.

Old 05-23-2023, 08:52 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
At most high end salons they will give advice and suggestions. They may even have some pictures of ideas. I would look online and bring in some pictures of men’s haircut and color that you like. Remember you have different hair and facial structure plus those are probably photoshopped perfect lighting pictures. Just got be realistic if that makes sense?

Personally I think it’s better to make small changes. Not do everything at once.

I had my ears pierced as a teen and they closed you could barely see they were pierced. I got them redone last year and even now when I change earrings it’s not that noticeable unless your close up. I never wear heavy earrings and went to a reputable place. I also only wear earrings for sensitive ears. I can’t guarantee it but if you decide you dislike them it shouldn’t be that noticeable

In terms of judgement in general this is something I have been working on. I have definitely gotten better but it’s ongoing. It’s easier said then done to say don’t care what others think. Only you know if it will upset you to get a comment or if you can say who cares.

I don’t think it’s weird to want to make some changes but it’s important to be realistic. It may give you a confidence boost or you may be trying to change the outside but there is deeper stuff within going on.

Old 05-23-2023, 08:56 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Not weird at all, but please skip the earrings.

Old 05-23-2023, 09:58 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post
I've always dressed in the same way (bland or plain clothing) and always went with a regular old barber shop trim.

I have been getting these thoughts of trying some new things:

1) Go to a hair stylist and get a new hairstyle. Have them spike or maybe even add a streak of color in my hair (as one female acquaintance suggested).

2) Update my wardrobe : Buy some new buttoned shirts, fitted tees, start wearing khaki shorts instead of cargo shorts.

3) Start getting pedicures, buy some nice sandals, and start wearing them on a regular basis when wearing shorts. I enjoy wearing sandals but never felt comfortable wearing them outside of a beach or quick errand situation.

4) Get my ears pierced and start wearing a small stud in each ear. I know this is out of fashion but this is something I have been wanting to do for a long time for some reason.

Seems that some of this would be pushing gender norms but I wouldn't take it beyond that.

Should I go for it or would this come across as weird on a guy no longer in his 20s? If so, should this be a gradual process or should I do it all around the same time?
We are not our grandfather's generation. Take a chance and have fun. I'm in my 30s and still into current trends. The 90s grunge look is the move now and I shop at places like Abercrombie, Tommy Hilfiger, Asos, Hollister, etc. As long as you're in shape, you can rock anything and look good. And yes, get those earrings. Studs and small hoops add a sexiness and grit to your look when you're fit. Girls love it.

Old 05-23-2023, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
At most high end salons they will give advice and suggestions. They may even have some pictures of ideas. I would look online and bring in some pictures of men’s haircut and color that you like. Remember you have different hair and facial structure plus those are probably photoshopped perfect lighting pictures. Just got be realistic if that makes sense?
That makes sense. I tried getting advice at a salon awhile back but she still ended up asking what I wanted. It wasn't exactly a high end place but higher end than I'm used to. I will try a different place this time. That's a good idea to bring in some pictures.

Quote:
Personally I think it’s better to make small changes. Not do everything at once.
That would probably be less nerve wracking when it comes to showing off my new look, a little at a time. Nerve wracking may be too strong of a word but it does feel weird to do something new.

I'll think I'll start with the shorts and sandals as that will be a big enough change to start with as I've never been one to wear sandals before outside of a beach situation and I rarely go to the beach.

Quote:
I had my ears pierced as a teen and they closed you could barely see they were pierced. I got them redone last year and even now when I change earrings it’s not that noticeable unless your close up. I never wear heavy earrings and went to a reputable place. I also only wear earrings for sensitive ears. I can’t guarantee it but if you decide you dislike them it shouldn’t be that noticeable
That was a concern that the piercing holes would be noticeable if I were to change my mind. I am guessing there is a difference between removing them after a week vs. removing them after a year.

Quote:
In terms of judgement in general this is something I have been working on. I have definitely gotten better but it’s ongoing. It’s easier said then done to say don’t care what others think. Only you know if it will upset you to get a comment or if you can say who cares.
Well said. It might be a good experience to learn how to better shrug off judgment from others.

Quote:
I don’t think it’s weird to want to make some changes but it’s important to be realistic. It may give you a confidence boost or you may be trying to change the outside but there is deeper stuff within going on.
Good points. I think it would be uncomfortable at first but I could also see there being a confidence boost. That's not to say there isn't something deeper. I grew up with a parent that tends to be judgmental and worked in places that had strict dress codes so maybe that has something to do with it as well.

Old 05-23-2023, 10:06 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,026,236 times
It's a great idea, all at once, but don't overdo it. Wait on the earrings. Go for the pedicure, H/C and clothes. Have someone, like a friend or the sales person to help you, to figure out what looks good for your build, shape, hair color etc.

The pedicure will give you a great boost in confidence.

Old 05-23-2023, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Not weird at all, but please skip the earrings.
Honestly I go back and forth on this. It's like I want to do it, but then again, I figure it might come across as try to hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty