Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 05:37 PM

7,595 posts, read 3,254,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
Stud earrings look good

So do small hoops

He's pretty/beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2023, 06:01 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post
Even in this day and age?
Bear in mind that this forum trends elderly. Stud earrings on men have been mainstream for ages now.

And in any case, if a dude does think you look good, what's the harm? Hot is hot, if you're rocking a look that will attract women, it'll attract some men too.

Old 05-25-2023, 06:02 PM

7,595 posts, read 3,254,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Bear in mind that this forum trends elderly. Stud earrings on men have been mainstream for ages now.

And in any case, if a dude does think you look good, what's the harm? Hot is hot, if you're rocking a look that will attract women, it'll attract some men too.
Exactly. As long as he is okay with that. Who cares.

Old 05-25-2023, 09:29 PM

522 posts, read 343,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Not sure why you think you should wear sandals every time you wear shorts? That's a little odd. I would say that sandals (and the ones you posted are nice - I like them) are only appropriate at the most casual of outings - certainly not everywhere you might consider wearing shorts.
Valid points.
I guess I didn't mean every time, only when it's practical (i.e. beach, running errands, grocery run, casual restaurant, small gatherings, etc).

Sandals are sometimes not a good choice because they're not practical (i.e. bike riding, cutting grass, certain yard work, etc) or fashion reasons (the outing is less casual).

I'd say that any non-casual outing that I would attend (business event, company picnic, first date, etc) would be a no-go for sandals and sometimes shorts are a no go as well.

In the middle are larger social gatherings (i.e. large birthday party, larger family event, graduation party, etc). That's more of a gray area.

Quote:
As far as khaki vs cargo shorts - both have their place. Khakis are a slightly dressier look. So, for example, at a concert, either one works. At a zip-line event, I'd go with cargo shorts. On a date at a casual spot, probably the khakis. Don't overthink it.
Makes sense. I can see both cargo and flat front shorts having their place in one's wardrobe.

Quote:
An earring? Up to you. One earring isn't a turnoff for me, personally. But a guy with 2 earrings - probably would not appeal to me. I don't think of earrings as ever being out of fashion though - not even for a guy, even in his 30's.
Are you talking just one earring in one ear?

Old 05-26-2023, 06:49 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post
Pedicure done!

It was very relaxing. Of course I was the only guy there lol.

She asked me if I wanted a clear coat and I wasn't sure. She said she'd paint one toe and said she could either keep going or remove it. I let her paint the rest. I kinda like the shine but wonder if it might come across a bit weird if someone notices.
Tootsies lookin' good!! I do like those flip flops!!!!

Old 05-26-2023, 07:07 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Or, you could use AI to create any look that you want:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/reality...hare_permalink

Old 05-26-2023, 08:40 AM

522 posts, read 343,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Tootsies lookin' good!! I do like those flip flops!!!!
Thanks! Thought about getting some Birkenstocks but maybe I'll just stick to those flops.

Old 05-26-2023, 12:21 PM

13 posts, read 8,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Probably unpopular opinion, especially in the US, but I would say that there are only a few scenarios in which wearing shorts is acceptable on grown men:
Around the house, at the pool/beach, while doing any exercise or physical activity, and a casual outdoor special event (i.e. music festivals and parades), park gatherings, backyard parties etc.
Metro casuals wear long pants.
That's it.

There are many cooling fabrics suitable even in tropics.

The usual custom is that a boy graduates to trousers around eight years old...lol

Of course most men couldn't care less about clothing etiquette, but those who do care ^^^ that's it.
Obviously, you care, OP.

Few rules:
Men with slim bodies are complemented best by slim-fitting shorts. Avoid baggy shorts as they will make your torso and legs seem disproportionate.

Men carrying a little more weight around the midsection need to avoid slim-fitting shorts. Slim shorts will only emphasize your stomach.

Pleated shorts should be avoided.

Never wear shorts that fall up to your knees because longer shorts (like Bermuda shorts) will make your legs look short and your stomach big.

You might enjoy reading this:
How To Dress For Your Age
https://www.realmenrealstyle.com/dressing-your-age/ (this is a very useful website, see other articles).
what about sandals? do you think the same rules apply? or are there places where you find them appropriate with long pants?

Old 05-26-2023, 02:19 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Let your hair grow out for a couple months before you get your new style, so they'll have a bit more length to work with. Some styles need more hair length and thickness than a "standard barber cut" to get the effect.

Personally, I would be against a streak of color unless that color is just a blond or white streak, or tips, in blonde/brown hair. Any unnatural color streak (pink, purple, orange, blue) on a guy would be something that I, as a woman, would be turned off by.

Excessive earrings would also sort of turn me off. A small stud or small hoop (preferably a single one, not 2) looks cool. Anything dangle-y or larger hoop, smacks of a pirate, or too feminine, and since I'm a CIS female, it would signal "gay" to me. I have absolutely nothing against LGBTQ, but if you're fishing for women, use the correct bait. If you're not in the hetero market, or it doesn't matter, then don't listen to me on this.

Flip-flops of any material are extremely casual. They're okay for beach, pool, the store, a backyard BBQ, or the bar and grill, but not anything more upscale than that. There are lots of styles of men's sandals that would be better for all-around wear. They protect your feet better too.

If you're unsure about the earring, until you are sure, try wearing an ear cuff. It's a partial hoop the rests around the narrow part of the outer side of the ear. like this:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...t=0&ajaxserp=0

Old 05-26-2023, 03:39 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times
Do the pedicure first. Maybe even a manicure. I have seen them called sport manicures for men. No matter what it's called a manicure is just a manicure. You don't have to have polish.

Then do the new shorts and sandals. Look at what the mannikins are wearing. Google latest fashion trends for men. Ask sales people what goes well together.

I don't know your age, but you don't want to look like you are trying to be 20 if you are 35.

Look online for men's haircut styles. Depending on the texture of your hair it may not work for what you want. You can use hair products in some cases, but best if you can get a cut that works without. Save the color for later.
I've only read the first page of your thread. Have fun making some changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty