Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 07:24 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times

Advertisements

I've always been a sucker for a guy in a vest, I just think it looks good and emphasizes a trim physique. These look a little more extreme but I think under the right circumstances they could be a wow factor fashion choice. Some of the materials and patterns look very nice. If you like it and it makes you feel good, go for it!
One caveat, I do not like any corset that gaps, pulls or strains at all, on anyone, it totally ruins the look!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2023, 11:32 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Of course, not. But there is no need to ridicule someone for their fashion choices.
Really? You made several posts ridiculing the fashion choices of people in the "what's the trashiest look you've seen" thread. People in glass houses.....

Old 07-25-2023, 11:33 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
I like vests on men, but the corset lacing up the back is WAY too feminine.

Old 07-25-2023, 05:04 PM

20,363 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I've never seen anything like this, I'm curious where would you wear this? Ballroom dance competition or to a Mexican nightclub,, I can't quite picture it..
Quote:
Says here, you could wear it "to Rocky Horror Picture Show, or a gay pride event... " I can't tell if this site is throwing shade or being serious about that, but the owner writes that she got into corsets after a car accident left her with a herniated disc..

Glamours Corset: Can Men Wear Corsets? Yes - And Here's Why!
https://glamorouscorset.com/articles...-wear-corsets/

Imo, I would not invest in a corset as a fashion accessory item in itself, but more so as a medical instrument to assist with back issues. Corsets and waist trainers can damage your body and organs if you are not properly fitted for one.

All places mentioned are possibilities. Some people lead lives that could make it an appropriate choice for them.

Someone who lives in a city and goes to nightclubs where fashion statements are admired, could work this look. There are clubs that host weekly parties where this attire would make total sense. Renaissance Festivals! I don't actually think it would be a great idea for a Pride parade if one is marching...those generally happen in the summer when it's hot, and it can be challenging enough without wearing uncomfortable things. I've done it in a small city, and having chosen the wrong footwear (that I thought would be OK but hadn't tried to do any serious walking around in)...I was not a happy camper by the end of the day. I can't imagine trying something like that in a corset, but I am sure some people did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I like vests on men, but the corset lacing up the back is WAY too feminine.
Yeah, but there are men out there who can play around with femininity and totally rock it, and be very sexy (to women) in the process. Prince, in the 80s? Y'know? It is a thing.

Some dudes can pull off the look. Some...not so much, though I would not give them any grief for trying if they wanted to.

Old 07-26-2023, 03:31 AM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

Yeah, but there are men out there who can play around with femininity and totally rock it, and be very sexy (to women) in the process. Prince, in the 80s? Y'know? It is a thing.
Perhaps, but Prince wasn't "sexy" because of his clothing, he was sexy because of his music. Morris Day was a much sexier man and his wardrobe was immaculate.

Morris Day & The Kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un6JrXL1dxI

Old 07-26-2023, 08:05 AM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Well, some women go for androgyny and some don't.

Fortunately for guys like me (hairy, deep voice, balding, craggy features, wrinkles) there are still women who don't go for the androgynous type.

Old 07-26-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Perhaps, but Prince wasn't "sexy" because of his clothing, he was sexy because of his music. Morris Day was a much sexier man and his wardrobe was immaculate.
I disagree...Morris Day was not sexier, and I wouldn't say it's so much the music that made Prince sexier, it was that Day's voice is too high, for one thing. But Prince is generally just more sensual. Sensual is hotter than that strutting "little bully man" shtick. Morris Day is like an irritating little rooster in this video, who only gets the upper hand because he has a posse of dogs around him.

I would imagine sex with Morris Day to be boring. With Prince? Who knows what could happen but it would be an adventure!

And I am a sucker for a leather jacket any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, some women go for androgyny and some don't.

Fortunately for guys like me (hairy, deep voice, balding, craggy features, wrinkles) there are still women who don't go for the androgynous type.
Yes! Thank goodness for the great variety in human types and options for expression as well, wouldn't life be so boring if we insisted on only one good way to be? I think so.

I have known more...dare I say, "bearish"...men that I've appreciated as well. (I am thinking of a meme I saw the other day that cracked me up where someone said that "Dad Bod is just straight for Bear"...and you know, I think I like the term chosen by the gay community better than the other!)

But it is fairly true that women prefer deeper voices in men, just as a general rule. Men prefer higher voices in women, but not to a point where they start to be annoying. Although I have heard some men express appreciation of a "whiskey" quality in a woman's voice now and then. Personally, I love that, I could listen to Natasha Lyonne talk all day.

Prince had range, but his speaking voice was not especially high. Also? I would not refer to 80s era Prince as "androgynous"...not talking about his later "Artist formerly known as" stuff, but circa Purple Rain as in the above video. He isn't androgynous, he's rocking some facial hair for most of it, and I think anyone would look at him and think of him as a MALE person...just with some occasionally feminine accoutrements.

Hell, the hair metal guys of the same timeframe looked WAY more feminine! Seriously! And yet I know SO MANY super masculine Gen X men, like loads of these camo wearing, gun toting, bearded dudes, who just love that glam metal. Clean shaven dudes with huge big hair in hot pink spandex, singing in absurd falsettos, and manly men eat it up and do not think of it as feminine...I guess perhaps because every other song is about how much action the singer is getting with the ladies huh? lol

I think it was Eddie Izzard, years ago when she identified as only a transvestite rather than a trans woman, who countered a comment about wearing "women's clothes" by saying something like, "They are not women's clothes. I am not a woman, I own them, they are my clothes, they are a man's clothes." I think it can be just that simple if someone wants it to be...?

Sometimes, clothes are just clothes.

I do like how corsets look in general...but I don't think I like the look of ANY fashion enough to think it's a fair trade for harm to one's health or physical safety or even (at least in my own case) comfort. I won't even wear shoes that pinch my feet lol.

Old 07-27-2023, 05:52 AM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

I would imagine sex with Morris Day to be boring. With Prince? Who knows what could happen but it would be an adventure!

Whatever floats your boat, lol it's all good.

Old 07-29-2023, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Whatever floats your boat, lol it's all good.
I mean...in fairness neither one is really my first choice like...in general.

But between the two? /shrug lol

Anyways. I don't have an issue with feminine clothes, including corsets, on guys, but again some are gonna wear it better than others. Like anything, right?

Old 07-30-2023, 04:30 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I come across this company spamming my IG feed quite frequently. I like how some of the vests look, but not completely sold on paying $350 for one.

Curious to know folks' take on these things.

https://innovacorsetry.com/products/corset-vest
Seem to be appealing to a particular category of men.

It is definitely not for body training - but an announcement like a business card
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty