Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 09:21 AM

3,125 posts, read 1,011,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
No matter how time I spend working out at the gym, I also have them. In my case, part of the problem is I lost 30 pounds and your skin doesn't bounce back as well when you're "mature".
Good for you for losing the pounds!

I have a relative, she's 61 and lost 45 pounds recently. She has loose skin but started taking Collagen pills. I'm in the process of losing weight so I'll also take Collagen even though I exercise. And I'm younger than her. Maybe the muscle mass is also important, if you have it or not.

Hopefully it's going to be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2023, 04:45 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Just got the shorts in the mail. They should have fit according to the chart but they don't. The cute part is they're free return but to reorder the price went up. Can't win.

I don't care what size they're labeled. Just want a good fit and some predictability.
This. I don't care if the label says 2 or 22, I'd just like to know what size is mine and be able to count on ordering that size and have it fit. Sometimes I'm like, it's the 21st century, why is buying clothing such an unpredictable chore.

I get frustrated when there is no size chart online, or it turns out not to be accurate, which unfortunately has happened more than once.

I was annoyed recently when an online shop that I normally purchased XXL t-shirts from (they run small), apparently changed their supplier, because I was swimming in the XXL. I ended up giving away the XXL (their items are made to order so not returnable) and re-ordered a(n) L. My mistake, I should have checked the size chart, but I didn't anticipate that it would have changed that much, if at all. Sigh.

Old 10-25-2023, 05:17 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I don't think men's clothes have changed in terms of sizing, so I titled this for women's clothes only.

No secret that over the last couple of decades women's clothing has been morphing when it comes to sizing. What started exclusively in couture and high-end fashion has trickled down to all consumer segments -- that is vanity sizing.

In college, I was a size 10 petite, medium in a T-shirt. Average BMI category for my height. Neither thin nor heavy.

Size 8 / 10 equivalent today is like a size 4 or 6, depending on brand. I tried on a pair of jeans yesterday and they were size 4. Not tight anywhere, plenty of room. Wut?

I started laughing when I tried those jeans on because vanity sizing is kind of ridiculous when one has the perspective of traditional measurements and sizing. It certainly increases sales of clothing when women can feel thin based on these morphed sizes. In my head I immediately translated that "4" to the size it would have been before vanity sizing... probably more like a size "8."

BTW, I didn't purchase those jeans since I know they'll go on sale at some point and be 50% or more off the full retail price. I'm still chuckling over the sizing though.

I find it's best to go by actual measurements. As someone who sews (or used to often), measurements are everything.
As a man, the only problem I have is off the rack dress shirts that always need the width narrowed. I guess I should just buy them tailored. I have to buy XL because of my neck and reach but I'm narrow elsewhere.Probably the same price in the end
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty