Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 08:10 AM

18,113 posts, read 15,690,551 times

Advertisements

I don't think men's clothes have changed in terms of sizing, so I titled this for women's clothes only.

No secret that over the last couple of decades women's clothing has been morphing when it comes to sizing. What started exclusively in couture and high-end fashion has trickled down to all consumer segments -- that is vanity sizing.

In college, I was a size 10 petite, medium in a T-shirt. Average BMI category for my height. Neither thin nor heavy.

Size 8 / 10 equivalent today is like a size 4 or 6, depending on brand. I tried on a pair of jeans yesterday and they were size 4. Not tight anywhere, plenty of room. Wut?

I started laughing when I tried those jeans on because vanity sizing is kind of ridiculous when one has the perspective of traditional measurements and sizing. It certainly increases sales of clothing when women can feel thin based on these morphed sizes. In my head I immediately translated that "4" to the size it would have been before vanity sizing... probably more like a size "8."

BTW, I didn't purchase those jeans since I know they'll go on sale at some point and be 50% or more off the full retail price. I'm still chuckling over the sizing though.

I find it's best to go by actual measurements. As someone who sews (or used to often), measurements are everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2023, 12:41 PM

1,921 posts, read 913,347 times
I see the exact opposite. I shop at Lane Bryant because I wear a 16 but can get away with a 14 there. At Roaman's/Full Beauty online, it's a 16 or 18 depending on the style. I keep track of what brands fit the best and where I can get them. I don't shop at places like Marshall's or Beall's Outlet because those clothes never fit me and there is a reason they are there -- they are tagged wrong or there is a problem with something in the manufacturing.

Old 10-17-2023, 12:51 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
As a slim, fit young adult, I was an 8. Thirty years later, as a slim, fit middle-aged adult, I am a 2.

It's really ridiculous. My daughters can't even find clothing that fits them unless they order it. Younger daughter is an 00, and believe me, she is a perfectly normal size and weight (5'5", 120lbs).

Old 10-17-2023, 12:55 PM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times
We have certain shops that make sizing bigger for just this purpose.. and it works.. what I would like though as an older woman and a UK 10 or 12..is that jackets and coats have slightly wider arms at the top.. as women who are older know that the arms get bingo wings and take up a bit more space.... If jackets are too tight at the arms they then become tight round the bust.. and spoils the look of the jacket... Time shops realized this..

Old 10-17-2023, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
As a slim, fit young adult, I was an 8. Thirty years later, as a slim, fit middle-aged adult, I am a 2.

Exactly! When someone who says they're 5'6" and 180 lbs, and says they're a size 6, I'm remembering what that generally looks like and remembering from years ago, and my brain just does not compute that size as matching.

I mean, sure, that might be what the label says now, but there is no way that ever translated to a size 6 back in the day. More like a size 14.

BTW, I'm not judging anyone's body size, but I am judging the disparity in clothing sizes compared to what they used to be. Yes, it's all arbitrary and one manufacturer may be different than another.

-------------------------------------------

Pattern sizes were (and still are) a wake-up call for those who sew. Someone who purchases a size 4 in ready-to-wear might look at a pattern from one of the major 4 pattern companies and notice that size 4 in their off-the-rack item of clothing translates to size 10 or 12, possibly even size 14, depending on bust or hip size.

With a sewing pattern, I finally learned it's vital to customize the pattern to actual measurements by selecting a pattern based on upper bust width, which means the pattern will fit the neck and shoulders, and then alterations can easily be made to the pattern at full bust, waist, etc to match actual measurements of the human.

Old 10-17-2023, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
We have certain shops that make sizing bigger for just this purpose.. and it works.. what I would like though as an older woman and a UK 10 or 12..is that jackets and coats have slightly wider arms at the top.. as women who are older know that the arms get bingo wings and take up a bit more space.... If jackets are too tight at the arms they then become tight round the bust.. and spoils the look of the jacket... Time shops realized this..
LOL!

One nickname for those are "Hello Bettys." As in, think of women of a certain age back in the 50s and 60s who often wore sleeveless blouses in the summer. They'd see neighbor 'Betty' and wave, yelling, "Hello Betty!" Their arm wings would be flapping as they waved hello.

Old 10-18-2023, 05:09 AM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
One reason NOT to wear sleeveless blouses in that ^^^ situation, if a woman wants to look her BEST.

Sizes, nowadays, are all about making customers feel great about themselves.
You can read about it here:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerdo...h=552b908e1e32

They probably assume that lots of people don't have mirrors and scales at home, and lack self-criticism, AND they probably are right.

Apparently if a person feels good in the size that they wear or feels insecure about the size that they wear, it can lead to either high or low levels of self-esteem.

Vanity sizing is a confusing and often frustrating aspect of shopping for clothes, but it doesn’t have to be. Just being aware that vanity sizing is used by many brands, you can be prepared and make more informed choices by checking the size guides of your favourite brands, against your own measurements.

AFTER you measure yourself, you can compare your measurements with those charts.
The website has over 3000 brands listed alphabetically.

https://www.looksize.com/by-brands-a-z

Last edited by elnina; 10-18-2023 at 06:12 AM..

Old 10-18-2023, 07:24 AM

43,142 posts, read 18,298,681 times
I've gone from a size 7/8 to a 0 with some clothes and my weight has not changed.
It's horrible really because you really can't order online unless you have already tried on the brand and know how they size things.

Even some petite sizes are too big for me.

I'm 5'6" and 110lbs..slim build with not much hip and women's pants have way too much material in the hip area.

Old 10-18-2023, 09:30 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
LOL!

One nickname for those are "Hello Bettys." As in, think of women of a certain age back in the 50s and 60s who often wore sleeveless blouses in the summer. They'd see neighbor 'Betty' and wave, yelling, "Hello Betty!" Their arm wings would be flapping as they waved hello.
hahahaahah now that I have them its not so funny Moxie...

Old 10-18-2023, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
hahahaahah now that I have them its not so funny Moxie...
I have them too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty