Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:28 AM

58 posts, read 165,049 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I am 31 years old, a mom and wife, I have no wrinkles, but worry about what the future might surprise me with.......
So here is the question... what kind of facial creme do you recommend that I could use to prevent any "major changes"? When should I start?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 01:54 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,545,781 times
I use Arbonne - the RE9 set has cleanser, toner, vitamin c serum, eye cream, day cream, and night cream. I love, love, love it!

Old 08-06-2008, 01:59 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,009,154 times
I use the Philosophy line Hope in Jar, Hope is not Enough etc. It is great for sensitive and skin that is on the dry side. I also use a wonderful product that is a bit more difficult to find called Mary Cohr. It is out of France and wonderful.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:11 PM

365 posts, read 1,253,322 times
Start immediately. Right now. Moisturize every day of your life. Everyone has her favorites, but I've read and heard that it doesn't really matter what you use as long as you use something—oh, and make sure it contains at least SPF 15.

For many years, I have used Emerita moisturizer. It's slightly thicker than I like, but I would highly recommend it. (Available in Whole Foods for about $20 a tube; a little goes a long way, so the price really is pretty reasonable). My only complaint is that it doesn't contain sunblock, but I remember a couple of years ago at a lunch with a friend who hadn't seen me in a while, she looked at me, asked me to remove my glasses, and said, "You don't have a wrinkle on your face!" I was probably 55 at the time.

Back in the day when I could afford a little luxury once in a while, I used the Chanel Precision line. Wow. Very nice. When I'm not so flush, which these days is most of the time, I tend toward Mary Kay, which I also like, or even Oil of Olay. Like I say, use anything. Just use it every day.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:38 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,873 times
I started when I was 16 with Merle Norman. I am now 60 and have no wrinkles, I have used DHC & Garden Botanika, I switch on and off. Just like your hair gets used to the same shampoo, so does your face. SPF 30 for my face. Always take your makeup off at night and use the toner, night cream and 2x a day morning and night a very good eye cream. My husband bought all of the products that the ladies were selling at Christmas time at the mall from the Dead Sea, they were good however, for the price the two above and Prespectives to me are the best for my skin and I am super sensitive. Your skin can never have too much moisturizer and sunblock. I also drink at least 4 bottles of water a day.

Last edited by kelsie; 08-06-2008 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-06-2008, 03:57 PM

45 posts, read 188,078 times
I see some really good recommendations. I would agree with above: moisturize.
I have oily patches, so I didn't, now I wish I had. Nobody told me that a moisturizer will condition your skin so that you don't produce as much oil. If your skin is dry from overwashing, your skin will produce more oil to try to keep up... so make sure you condition. Watch the ingredients for sensitive skin. Many spf's break me out. I have tried and recommend Murad products. They are really good. Also the Neutrogena Defense is very good for the eye area. The lines will disappear. I had a very lovely older lady tell me that she used Alboleen. I think it's a rather inexpensive face cream from long ago but I can't find it. She had remarkable skin.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:28 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,440 times
From the drugstore, about the best you can buy is the Olay Regenerist line. I also highly recommend Skinceuticals & Bioelements lines but they are a bit more expensive-I've had great results with them. Microdermabrasion is also a good thing to do. It helps with cell turnover, cleans your pores & sloughs off the dead skin cells. I just turned 35 but haven't been guessed any older than 28. I urged my good friend (who's in her 50's) to start doing microdermabrasion & she was skeptic at first but couldn't believe her results.

Lastly, sunblock, sunblock, sunblock

Old 08-06-2008, 05:18 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I second the Regenerist line - LOVE it. It also scored in Consumer Reports as well as some other places OVER the more expensive products.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:35 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
While in college, I used Merle Norman and then Clinique. I now use mostly Dr. Denese and Mary Kay. Just find products that work with your skin type and you will be fine. You need a good cleanser, facial moisturizer, probably a night cream, and eye cream. I do not use any products that are tested on animals.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:51 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
I recommend a book by a doctor named Dr. Denese:

Amazon.com: Dr. Denese's Secrets for Ageless Skin: Younger Skin in 8 Weeks: Adrienne Denese M.D. Ph.D.: Books

I also recommend all the books by Dr. Perricone, ie The Wrinkle Cure, etc. The salmon he recommends really works. If you hate fish that could be a problem, but to me it is worth it because of how much smoother and firmer my skin looks. I'm nearly 38 but am guessed as being 25-27 and on a good day as young as 17.

The entire Olay Regenerist line is good. I've used most of it for the last couple of years along with the vitamin C and AHA products recommended in Dr. Denese's books. I just tried the Regenerist thermal face lift kit the other night; it is pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty