Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 04:40 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times

Advertisements

Aren't highlights just like getting your hair died? If I had a daughter I'd let her get them at 16 probably...as long as she wasn't making her hair look ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 08:27 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,477 times
When I was 14, I wanted to dye my hair. My parents agreed to me doing my bangs only, DIY at home. I loved it and I was so happy. I kept it up for a year. At 15, they realized I was serious, and let me dye my whole head, myself. It looked great. I kept that same color until I was 21, then totally gave up any chemicals. A lot of people never knew my real hair color around that time.

I would be cool with 8th grade, around 13. But he or she would have to DIY at home, or come up with the money himself or herself, to have it done at the salon. Seems like a decent way to help them learn how to balance their money and discover their individuality.

Quote:
Why a child of any age need to dye any part of their hair? Heck, except to cover up grey why would any person of any age need to dye their hair?
I don't understand the difference (within reason for the age). No one of any age HAS to dye their hair. Why is it acceptable to do it only to cover grey? Why can't someone just want to have fun?

Old 07-23-2012, 09:16 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
AT What Age Would You Let Your Child Start Getting Highlights?
Probably around 15 or 16 - and only if they could pay for them.
Highlights can be 'spensive!

Old 07-24-2012, 11:58 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillymom View Post
My daughters started doing this once they both had jobs to pay for it. I always paid for haircuts, but never for color. I also have a 15 year old daughter and I think it is sad when I see one of her friends come over and they had hi-lights like way back a long time ago and so their hair has the 4 inch roots growing out. You just have to remember, if you going to let them, you have to keep up w/it, or they wont look so good and these days, kids can be cruel to eachother. I guess you could say it teaches them not to do it, but really at that age, they are too young to realize the affects later on. I just love seeing kids look like kids. They grow up way too fast these days, sorta sad.

I told my dd15 NO to hair color, highlights, etc, but.....well, she did it anyways. How? At a friend's house one afternoon. I did express my "displeasure" with the other girl's mother, I had assumed the girls were being supervised and she should have called me first. Well, DD had brown-blonde hair, she dyed it a dark brown. We told her BEFORE she started dying it that its a color maintenance hassle, you have to keep it up or look ridiculous, especially if you make drastic color changes, such as blonde to dark brown.

Well, now she "looks ridiculous" Her choice.She was coloring her hair literally 1-2x/week, because she wanted to find the right shade. Who paid for it? She'd slip it in the grocery basket when Dad wasn't looking (Dad's a pushover)Ohhhhh, she got p'od at me when I refused to buy yet another box of hair color, this time deepest black. I told her, we had explained the problems that come with coloring one's hair, the upkeep, etc, not to mention we simply don't have $50+/month to spend on her hair color.

So, now, she can go to school looking like a clown.It truly is ridiculous, blonde at the roots, a 2inch strip of pinkish red when she decided to go red, then several shades of horrible browns. Her hair is long and she wants to keep it long, we also explained to her that she might end up having to cut her hair to the layer closest to the scalp. Hey, she ran off from us, always in other people's homes, playing around with stuff with NO parental supervision----I could take her to a slaon and have it stripped and dyed back to a color she could grow into without looking like a clown, but----I don't have to. Let her suffer the consequences, we warned her, and our money is tight. Hey, if she suffers social stigmas, not my problem! She was warned!

Old 07-25-2012, 05:21 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,713 times
I was never allowed to dye my hair or highlight growing up.

So I took matters into my own hands with misused lunch money.

In 6th grade I put sun-in on my brown hair and it highlighted orange!

By high school I was buying Feria in black to dye my hair.

My mother was horrified

No my mother encourages me to keep it natural but also add some highlights. Why are moms always right about these things?!

Old 07-25-2012, 12:30 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
18 when it is none of my business anymore. A child does not need highlights.My Husband's niece who is 13 started to dye her hair when she was 11 a different colour every couple of months and I find it beyond absurd and an abnegation of parental responsibility on Hubby's Brother's part.

The last thing we need is even more image conscious and even more self obsessed kids. Bad enough with adults , at least with kids you have some modicum of control. They need to learn there is life outside of the beauty parlour/hair salon/designer storeetc... we seem to be breeding vapid shallow little reatures who are all style and no substance which is not a great thing for the future.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:27 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,503 times
I, like many preteen and teens, wasn't allowed to color my hair. I begged and begged and when I was constantly met with a "No!" and then a "because I said so" ... So I died it myself, used sun-in, etc. and ended up haiting it. If only I was met with a "maybe" or a time frame for when I could color my hair or basic colorings I would be allowed to do I doubt I would have colored it much.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:49 AM

484 posts, read 854,674 times
I feel children should be children . highlights are for older teenage girls/women. Let the sun give your baby natural highlights and enjoy your baby before it becomes a adult, but don't push adult services on little ones.

what next - children getting botox, false eyelashes, face plactic surgery etc, etc,????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty