Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2008, 08:42 AM

698 posts, read 3,267,566 times

Advertisements

I am trying to clean out and update my dresses and skirts. In your opinion.....Do you think pleats are totally out? What about the long dresses that tie in the back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 01:09 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
I don't think pleats are out, if the cut is still current, but I really don't like dresses that have ties in the back--they look like children's clothes! And, the longer dresses generally don't do much for you....

Old 10-02-2008, 05:16 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
I hate the tie back....reminds me of maternity wear.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:16 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
I love love love pleated skirts. I've got several school girl style ones, but my favorite is a knee-length jean pencil skirt with three-inch purple plaid pleats at the bottom.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:25 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Long dresses that tie in the back have been around forever. It depends what the look of your clothing is. I think prints date stuff more than cuts. Plus you can always modify a cut. Another thing is you can layer it with a new piece thats more up to date.

Pleats - Also a classic. Somtimes a little more trendy than others but pleats should be avoided if you are big in the bottom area. It just makes you look puffy. Pants and skirts. The only exception is a Aline skirt that goes smooth till mid thigh with pleats on the bottom. That looks really good on curves.

I think you should just get rid of the stuff you hate or doesnt flatter you first.
Define your own style after that.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,347 times
I totally agree......everyone has to design their own personal style. You can pretty much wear anything you want these days. It all seems to go full circle and come back. For example,I've noticed lately that vests are coming back. I'm soooo glad I kept all mine because I have some real nice ones and just brought one out and wore it this week and it looked great! Wonder what will be next?

Old 10-28-2008, 07:21 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times
I used to think that wearing a pleated item made you look huge but then I saw a video of Jennifer Hudson wearing this fantastic green pleated dress and she looked so good in it for being a thicker gal. My daughter who is the complete opposite, very petite and tiny bought a dress to attend a dance, it's white halter dress with a pleated bottom, very cute - think Marilyn Monroe'ish. So, I don't think pleats are out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty