Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 04:49 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times

Advertisements

OK, let's try this again. Another approach for you is to permanently adopt the five o'clock shadow look that has become so popular and shave with a high qualify barber's trimmer. There is no screen so it will cut all of the hairs, it just won't cut them real close. Goodbye to close shaves, hello to Nic Ritchie look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 09:57 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
If you are willing to devote a little more time, go old school and pick up a double edged safety razor - there are a lot of resources out there that can give you more guidance (badgerandblade.com is an excellent resource)

Use a proper pre-shave treatment, the right blade for you and then the post shave treatment and you'll be good to go

Kind of straddles the line between a straight and the modern disposable style razors

I switched over this past summer and like it ...... although I'm not black, there are a lot of black guys who swear by it in how much it's helped (and if it doesn't work you can always sell your razor, brush and any leftover product you don't want to continue to use)

Old 02-19-2012, 04:18 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Any updated advice? Disposable blade razors mutilate my face.
I think you are still better off with blade razors vs an electric... They are just not for black men unless you have straight hair.

So either use sharp clippers (dry shave) or if you really want that close shave then use the blade razors (I use Gilette Mach 3) and use a product like Tend Skin Liquid 4 oz | Ingrown Hair Bumps | Tend Skin 4 oz | Tend Skin Products to curb the irritation, razor bumps, and ingrown hairs. I only shave my head, not my face. I use clippers (dry shave) on my face. The small amount of hair left is better than dealing with a messed up face.

Not much else you can do... Good luck!

Old 02-19-2012, 08:28 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
all you need is an anti bump cream before(or after) shaving and it will stop the bumps from coming

Old 02-20-2012, 03:53 AM

10 posts, read 18,902 times
You can have any razor and i tried it even in my armpit i put vinegar and rub it after...it really takes time to grow. Believe me. I tried it also even in my legs i got hairy skin.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:11 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,034,515 times
"I use clippers (dry shave) on my face. The small amount of hair left is better than dealing with a messed up face."

After spending years trying to find the perfect answer to shaving using hair clippers and dry shaving has been the best for me. Razor feels good the day of the shave but I bump up really bad the day after. Tried a electric shaver and it was only slightly better than the razor. With the hair clippers I get maybe 3 razor bumps a year.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:42 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
I don't think there is one answer for everyone. The barber neck trimer is very good for fine hair. The downside is it gets hot, and the blade me be cleaned after every shave.

I firend with a weird beard. He uses a brush and soap to lather his face. He says it softens whiskers. He uses the old single blade razor. Other than that is [1] have the barber shave you. Or [2] buy a barber's straight edge and strop and learn how to use it.

A neatly trimmed beard is always an option. It won't always be "in", and women who have sensitive won't skin won't ever kiss you.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:00 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,476 times
I'd say for most black men, a set of clippers are the safest bet. Maybe, possibly an electric razor on your head. I know that Steve Harvey uses andis trimmers on his face, and a Braun Series 7 razor on his head. I just use trimmers.

Razors are absolutely the worst. Maybe try them once, and if they mutilate your face, well, that's your answer.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:54 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
One option not mention is the old-fashioned cup with soap and brush. I know it sounds archaic, but my friend swears by it. His facial hair is difficult and his face sensitive, He uses either a double edge, single razor, or a strop and barber's razor. I think the trick is the cloth dipped in hot water to relax the hair and then lots of lather. It used it for about 65 years. You will eventually get used to one soap. It should be good for any skin and any hair.

I am not a barber, but I played on once.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:37 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
If you guys are having a hard time try using hand lotion instead of shaving cream and a old school double edge razor shaver. Just use a napkin to wipe the razor as you shave.
I used that because I used to get horrible ingrown hairs and razor burns on my neck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty