Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 07:23 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,018 times

Advertisements

I have always had nice skin and now I don't know what is happening. Maybe stress. (new job, put kids in daycare, the holidays...) Anyway, I need a nice foundation. I have used Bare Minerals and Mary Kay Mineral Foundation and I like the ease and feel of them but I must be allergic to some of the minerals as they are making me break out badly. (When I stop using it the skin gets better)
I just tried Smashbox Camera Ready but again I am having problems. First it puddles into my cracks and highlights the parts that are dry (I moisturize twice a day...never had this problem before) and I also don't like how it feels. Sad b/c it does cover nicely otherwise.
Any ideas? I guess I would say I have combo skin. I would rather not buy a drugstore brand b/c I have hard time finding right shade, so something I can get at a department store would be good.
Thanks!
(Oh, and for skin care I have been using Mary Kay normal skin moisturizer and cleanser for YEARS...Tonight I tried Cetaphil b/c my skin is so screwed up...dry in parts and very oily in others...I am 32)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 07:50 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times
So far, the best foundation I have used is Estee Lauder's Double-Wear Foundation. I have combination skin, oily around the T-zone. It seems to me that EL appears as freshly as I have put it on in the morning at day's end. I have tried Origins, and swore by it until EL. I have also tried Bobbi Brown's but did not like it fading at day's end. BB provided coverage, but caked in places after so many hours, unlike EL. Origin's discontinued the brand of foundation I used so I had to go seek something else as replacement. I have some skin tags and brown spots on my face so I need medium to full coverage for foundation.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:42 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,710 times
I'm a Clinique user for daily wear and have used them for 15 years and love everything they sell except perfumes. I also wear Mary Kay for evening and that made up effect. Make-up is a hit or miss, what works for one may not work for another. Good luck!

Old 12-30-2008, 08:48 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,686 times
I would actually swear off foundation for a while. Try just using a tinted moisterizer and a concealor under your eyes and on blemishes when you go out. I have actually been using Mary Kay's Creme to Powder foundation AS my concealer lately, using a brush to apply it. It works great. I apply it over my tinted mositurizer and only use a hevier foundation (Mary Kay's Creme Foundation) at night.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:15 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,264,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arussell View Post
I'm a Clinique user for daily wear and have used them for 15 years and love everything they sell except perfumes. I also wear Mary Kay for evening and that made up effect. Make-up is a hit or miss, what works for one may not work for another. Good luck!
I also have used Clinique foundation for years and always very happy with it. One thing I like is that all their products have no fragrance added. That can sometimes irritate your skin. You might try their superbalanced foundation.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:30 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
Do you exfoliate at all? Dead skin built up on the surface makes combo skin worse, wrinkles show more, acne and rough spots with a dull color to it when without make-up. Try an a wash that scrubs your skin clear of that dead layer.

Skin care and make-up changes are called for around the age of 30 when the body starts to change..again...the puberty that never ends...lol
Aging Gracefully: Skin Care in Your 20's, 30's, 40's, and Beyond (http://ezinearticles.com/?Aging-Gracefully:-Skin-Care-in-Your-20s,-30s,-40s,-and-Beyond&id=53445 - broken link)

"By now you should have established a daily skincare regime that involves exfoliating (two or three times a week), cleansing, moisturising and sun protection for your skin. In your 30s, it's important to maintain a balanced diet consisting of fresh fruits, vegetables, grains and fish, which are high in antioxidants such as Vitamins A, B, C and E. These Vitamins counteract free radicals in your body that help the skin to repair itself, produce the enzymes that stabilise collagen production, and stay moist and healthy. For further protection, try using a day crème, such as one that contains vitamin E"

Doing those steps if you don't already will change how all your make-up goes on.
Have you tried any primers?
Smashbox has a primer as a free sample if you like their stuff.
Samples page

I also would suggest taking a vitamin e pill or flaxseed oil pill.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:53 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,371,225 times
You used the operative word "minerals" - I, for one, break out using anythng that says "minerals."

Pick up Paula Begouns book on Don't Go to the Cosmetic Counter Without Me - or something to that effect. She has some good advice on selecting the right cosmetics and foundations for your skin type.

Do a deep cleansing, exfoliate your skin and baby it for a few days. Take the weekend off from wearing any foundation.

From personal experience, I find I have to switch cosmetics from time to time. I used Mary Kay for years and when they changed their formula and I got older, I found I could no longer wear their products.

I use a sun screen product that my surgeon recommended and you can buy on-line and works as a moisturizer as well (I have combo skin) called Ti-Silk SPA-45 Buy ProCyte Ti-Silc Sheer Sunblock SPF 45 Online at drugstore.com - this is really excellent for most skin types.

I have been using this for 12 years and have never had to use anything else. I also use vasaline for eye makeup removal.

For foundation, I have been using Clinique's Superfit foundation. It has recently been reformulated and I can not speak for this new formula but can only imagine it is still as good if not better. Clinique | Makeup | Foundations | NEW Superfit Makeup

Good luck to you. The more simple you keep things the better results you will have when it comes to your skin. Use the sunscreen I suggested faithfully and you won't be disappointed.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:15 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,018 times
thank you everyone. i really apprciate it.

The Mary Kay skin care does have the exfoliating in it so I think I am covered there and I use the night solution so that seems good...I am just wondering if maybe I need to switch for a little while and come back to it. I used Cetaphil last night and this morning and already the skin is clearing up.

As for make up, thanks for the ideas. I fond that E. Lauder has a foundation for combo skin...Equalizer or something like that where it dries up oil in oily spots and hydrates in dry spots. I might try that first and then maybe the Clinique.
Anyway, thanks again. Very helpful. And I am going to get that book!

Old 12-31-2008, 02:22 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,045,092 times
I like the brand ORIGINS never any problem with them

Old 12-31-2008, 03:59 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times
All mineral makeup is not alike. I suggest that you try Jane Iredale. Jane Iredale Mineral Cosmetics - Foundation They are the first (one of the first?). I have been using their Amazing Base mineral makeup for at least 20 years. You can find it at some dermatologist's offices or salons. I have ordered it online from Dermstore for years. DermStore.com : Kinerase - Obagi - La Roche Posay - Jan Marini

I have dry and oily skin and Rosacea and it actually stopped any breakouts. My dermatologist thought it was the zinc in the makeup. I've tried three other brands, but didn't like the coverage. It seemed to sit on my skin rather than feeling as though I have nothing on.

In the winter I like a liquid makeup and really like Lancombe. They will usually give you a three or four days supply in a small container that you can try and there are a number of formulas.

I use Mary Kay 3 in 1 cleanser and really like it. And I moisturize morning and night. For a long time I didn't, as I thought it would make my skin more oily and prone to break out than it already is, but the opposite has occured. I guess by removing the natural oils, my body was over compensating.

I use blotting papers to remove shine from my T-zone during the day. And I have discovered that those toilet seat covers in public restrooms are exactly like blotting papers.... so when no one is looking, I use them when I am out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty