Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 05:33 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times

Advertisements

I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere in this forum. I've done a search and could not find a thread. I have foundation and concealer brushes that I'm at a loss how to clean. I have a spray bottle of Origins brush cleaner, but it seems that it still leaves the brushes damp and clumped together, so unlike when they were brand new. For my powder and blush brushes with the softer bristles, I wash them in shampoo, blot out the excess water after rinsing thoroughly, slightly blow dry it and then let it dry upright overnight. I just am unsure how to best clean my foundation and concealer brushes. What do you ladies use to clean these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 05:36 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
I have found mine never work quite right again after getting them wet. Maybe the water messes up the adhesive they use before pressing in the brush hairs. It is better to buy new ones than to end up with those little hairs coming out all the time.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:39 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
I use the little makeup remover towelettes (the same ones I use at night to remove my makeup prior to washing my face. I clean my foundation brush after each use.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:40 PM

24 posts, read 107,946 times
I found some makeup brush cleaning cloths at Sephora that work good. They don't get the brushes very wet and clean well.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I use the little makeup remover towelettes (the same ones I use at night to remove my makeup prior to washing my face. I clean my foundation brush after each use.
You know this makes sense. I was so desperate to get the foundation out of it last night that I used my Oil of Olay cleanser to clean them. The Oil of Olay was the only cleanser I found that took off even the heaviest foundation (like Bobbi Brown's) off my face with one application. I thought, well, it's that thing that's on the brushes so if Olay takes it off my face, it should take it off the brushes. They looked better after I did that and blow dried it, but I thought I'd consult with you ladies if you had other cleaners I have not considered. Y'all think astringent might be good or not?

Old 01-06-2009, 06:11 PM

617 posts, read 2,072,759 times
I use a very mild, fragrance-free liquid facial cleanser to gently wash my brushes. Never immerse them in water and be very careful to wash only the exposed brush without allowing water to get near the glue that holds the brush in the handle.

And never allow your brushes to dry with the brush part up. You should hang them upside down to dry them. A number of years ago I came up with my only little contraption to air dry my brushes upside down. I used a hanger, rubber bands, a toe separator and butterfly hair clips. Here's a picture of it.

I fasten the clips and toe separator to the hanger with rubber bands then hang the brushes wherever they fit best. That hook is for my bathrobe, right over a heat register so warm air helps to dry them in the winter.

A friend of mine used a hanger designed for belts or ties with rubber bands to hang her brushes. Here's a picture of her setup.

I'm sure if someone ever decides to manufacture something like that, they'd charge about $20 or so. But you can make it with stuff around your house for free.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:15 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,900,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
I use a very mild, fragrance-free liquid facial cleanser to gently wash my brushes. Never immerse them in water and be very careful to wash only the exposed brush without allowing water to get near the glue that holds the brush in the handle.

And never allow your brushes to dry with the brush part up. You should hang them upside down to dry them. A number of years ago I came up with my only little contraption to air dry my brushes upside down. I used a hanger, rubber bands, a toe separator and butterfly hair clips. Here's a picture of it.

I fasten the clips and toe separator to the hanger with rubber bands then hang the brushes wherever they fit best. That hook is for my bathrobe, right over a heat register so warm air helps to dry them in the winter.

A friend of mine used a hanger designed for belts or ties with rubber bands to hang her brushes. Here's a picture of her setup.

I'm sure if someone ever decides to manufacture something like that, they'd charge about $20 or so. But you can make it with stuff around your house for free.
WOW! Those are really impressive! Very inventive scorpy!

I just wash mine in a little Clinique Beauty bar in warm water, same as I use on my face and then rinse them and lay them down to dry on a clean face washer or hand towel. Some of them cope with that and some don't.

Last edited by moonshadow; 01-06-2009 at 06:30 PM..

Old 01-06-2009, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the photos scorpy! With the exception of the Sephora brushes, the rest of mine are cheapo Walmart ones so I can destroy those with impunity! When I start investing (one by one) in more expensive ones, I'll remember your advice about not letting water touch them and look for the cleaner before I even use them.

Last edited by BagongBuhay; 01-06-2009 at 06:28 PM..

Old 01-06-2009, 06:25 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,442 times
I put baby shampoo in my hand, swirl the brush around, and then rinse thoroughly in lukewarm water. Then I lay them flat to dry on a towel.. I use coastal Scents brushes and i havent had any problems w/them not working properly afterwards.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:36 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I use real people shampoo. Put some hot water in the bathroom sink and keep swishing and mushing until they are clear - then rinse with hot water and shape a bit and let air dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty