Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 08:40 AM

275 posts, read 1,545,280 times

Advertisements

Well I have mild acne but it pops up enough to wear I'm thinking about going to the dermatolgist. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Proative use benzoyl or you can request the product that has salic acid. Some people have allergic reactions to the salic so you can get the other. I also do know that you have to give this product 6 weeks to work. Don't expect to use something for two weeks and be cured. Also, as the product reads, if you have dryness, don't use as much, as often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 12:14 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,316,669 times
thanks everyone
I am thinking about going to a dermatologist...It's not THAT bad so I think they will not have any suggestions for me...But I might go anyway.

The cetaphil took away the dryness from the Proactiv and now I am breaking out again. So I just ordered some Mark by Avon cleanser and moisturizer and will give it a try. I think I just have to find a new product. So weird as I used Mary Kay for about 15-20 years and never had a problem. Had twins two years ago so maybe my hormones are catching up to me.

The thing about the Proactiv and giving it 6 weeks is I am a marketing Rep and my face is a big part of that and when it is so dry I can't even put make-up on and it looks horrible. I did adjust the Proactiv and tried it once a day and but still bad. I just have very sensitive skin. (I am Irish and as white and pale as they come)
So...lets hope this works!

Old 01-31-2009, 12:37 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
After spending big money for the dermatologist and prescriptions for two kids, with unsatisfactory results, I read a newspaper column called "The People's Pharmacist". Somebody wrote in that they had cleared up their skin by dabbing on milk of magnesia with cotton balls. Others then wrote in that they also had positive results, so I bought some. It has helped tremendously.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:32 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,486,880 times
Have you considered the birth control pill? It's not uncommon today to have doctors prescribe it for acne.
I know many people that ended up returning Procative.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:09 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,316,669 times
I actually am on birth control...I have twins and don't want more
Never had a problem with my skin before...It's just so odd. But then again I don't drink much and I think that has something to do with it. Trying to up my water in take. I was in a dr office and was watching one of those new tv programs a lot of drs now have and they were talking about adult acne and how it mostly has to do with a lack of hydration...But I have always used moisturizer but they said up the water in take and it should help...we'll see. They also mentioned the hormonal changes people go through.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:46 PM

7,065 posts, read 3,106,308 times
Buy an aloe plant and break the leaves and use that on your acne. I hear it works wonders.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:47 PM

275 posts, read 1,545,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
I actually am on birth control...I have twins and don't want more
Never had a problem with my skin before...It's just so odd. But then again I don't drink much and I think that has something to do with it. Trying to up my water in take. I was in a dr office and was watching one of those new tv programs a lot of drs now have and they were talking about adult acne and how it mostly has to do with a lack of hydration...But I have always used moisturizer but they said up the water in take and it should help...we'll see. They also mentioned the hormonal changes people go through.
My acne started after I had children too. Like I said, I know it's considered mild but it still bothers me. After my first child, my derm put me on Accutane and it really worked. Then I got preggo again and had to get off. I really tried to use Proactive after my second child and my skin went into a total nightmare. When I called the rep, she explained that I would need to try it at least for 6 weeks. With my job, I couldn't deal with people looking at me while my skin adjust to Proactive. I'm sure the product works but I can't deal with the 6 week thing. I mean I had breakout everywhere and was very subconcious.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:00 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,688,304 times
I have used proactiv on and off for years...it does seem to lose it's effectiveness after a while which is why I stop using it. Over the years I have tried tons of different things...I don't have acne just the random frequent breaKouts. And I get scarring because I am dark complected.
Now, what I don't get... my husband is italian/greek and is greasy but RARELY ever breaks out...
*sigh*

Old 02-02-2009, 01:38 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times
For those who say honey works...how do you use it? Do you smear honey on your face as a mask? How long do you leave it on?

What are some other natural remedies?

I NEVER had acne until I hit my mid-20's, then I developed horrible, painful cystic acne out of nowhere. I take antibiotics-they work and my acne has pretty much cleared up-but I still get the occassional break out. I wash with Proactiv but I'm not sure if that's having any effect at all. I sometimes worry about the long-term effects the antibiotics may be having on my body and if the acne will come back if I go off them! I'd love to try Accutane, but I have no insurance and that's a pretty expensive drug.

(Proactive never dried my skin out-I only get dry in the winter and as long as I use a little moisturizer I'm okay).

Old 02-02-2009, 06:29 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
I struggled my whole life with horrible acne. I started proactive a few years ago and saw myself in the mirrow not looking like a pepperoni pizza for the first time ever. I swear by the stuff. Best stuff ever. I've tried everything!

I did get dry skin with the three step program, so I added another proactive moisturizer with spf 15 and without the anti-acne ingredients (is it peroxide?) and that helps. About once every two weeks I'll use Aveda's moisturizing face mask to supplement. My skin has never looked even remotely this good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty