Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 08:45 PM

41 posts, read 50,060 times

Advertisements

I go to the thrift store and I have tons of clothes from the thrift store. All in great shape. I have both summer and winter, and I have name brands as well as non-name brands. I discovered this thrift store in December 2007 and started slowly buying things. Then over a period of time I started buying a lot (and I am glad that I have all that I have) Everything I have I keep very neat and organized, but if I keep buying eventually I will run out of room. I still want to buy from the thrift store but I dont want to go as often as I go, but I am afraid once I stop going I won’t go back and I do want to shop there - any suggestions on how NOT to go as often as I go and any suggestions on HOW often I should go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 08:50 PM

733 posts, read 1,927,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lover454 View Post
I go to the thrift store and I have tons of clothes from the thrift store. All in great shape. I have both summer and winter, and I have name brands as well as non-name brands. I discovered this thrift store in December 2007 and started slowly buying things. Then over a period of time I started buying a lot (and I am glad that I have all that I have) Everything I have I keep very neat and organized, but if I keep buying eventually I will run out of room. I still want to buy from the thrift store but I dont want to go as often as I go, but I am afraid once I stop going I won’t go back and I do want to shop there - any suggestions on how NOT to go as often as I go and any suggestions on HOW often I should go?

Well I enjoy thrift shops too, and what I have done is I made a rule, If I buy something, something else has to go. I would would also limit myself to how much $$ I would take in with me. $20 was the limit (I know not much, but more than enough for me personally). As for how often, well I guess that would depend, I go about 1 every two weeks now (use to be almost daily-but not to buy. My $20 had to last me at least a week.)

Guess what I am suggesting is give yourself rules, and boundaries.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:00 PM

41 posts, read 50,060 times
TO Nolovelost: One rule of yours I think you should change and that is "IF I buy something, something else has to go". Do you realize you are wasting money. By buying something and then going back and buying again you are throwing out money. In other words, lets say you spend $5.00 on a clothing item and then a week later you go back and buy something else and then come home and give something away, you are now out $10 - the item you purchased a week ago and this item you just purchased. Otherwise I agree with you.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lover454 View Post
TO Nolovelost: One rule of yours I think you should change and that is "IF I buy something, something else has to go". Do you realize you are wasting money. By buying something and then going back and buying again you are throwing out money. In other words, lets say you spend $5.00 on a clothing item and then a week later you go back and buy something else and then come home and give something away, you are now out $10 - the item you purchased a week ago and this item you just purchased. Otherwise I agree with you.
well that's the point. Not to buy unless you really NEED it, not just because you want it. And I don't buy one week and throw something that I bought the week before out. I will keep the things I wear, and the things I find I don't really wear enough I get rid of.

It's called being disciplined......

You need to learn ways to self regulate your habits, or they will get out of control......

Old 02-07-2009, 09:48 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
~starts drinking heavily

Old 02-07-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
~starts drinking heavily
LMAO! Rep +

Old 02-09-2009, 08:19 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,335 times
lover 454 has some interesting posts in the relationship thread......

Old 02-09-2009, 09:51 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
I am totally with you on that NoLoveLost...
We are a "one-in-one out" family.

Whether it is clothes, household items, or furniture, we don't buy it unless we are willing to donate something out of the house.

Of course (before lover454 or someone else jumps in), things like food and iTunes do not count!

Old 02-09-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Of course (before lover454 or someone else jumps in), things like food and iTunes do not count!
lol, yeah, food doesn't count, and neither does my music!

Old 02-09-2009, 11:11 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
NoLoveLost is right on. No "trick" is going to help you learn self-discipline or self-restraint. Set yourself a maximum number of times to go and a maximum amount to spend each time, then pull up your big-girl pants and STICK TO IT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty