Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:23 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,435,815 times

Advertisements

How Not To Look Old - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090210/hl_time/08599187771700 - broken link)

Interesting article!

My mom has a sister that is 4 years younger, but the sister looks about 15 years younger because she is more "chubby" than my mom, who is very slim. My mom always "watched" her weight and has a youthful figure, but her face looks old. She has never smoked and eats well. My aunt on the other hand weighs more ( not obese) and her face looks so much better. So as we get older do we have to chose our body - or our face?

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 11:30 AM

562 posts, read 2,402,901 times
I saw this online and wanted to post it but didn't know how.Thanks Katzenfreud, I think this is an interesting article.

I don't strive to be superthin for just this reason, my face gets thin and drawn. Also grouchy for cutting carbs to nearly nothing, which is the only way I can be skinny.

One thing to consider however is the overall picture. From the head up is one thing, but overall a more fit and in shape woman at a healthy weight will look younger overall. I think Sophia Loren, Raquel Welch , those types of older women, look pretty good.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:13 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
I started noticing that a few years ago. My older sister and some friends have fewer lines, wrinkles (than others their age) and I realized that it was because they were plump.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:24 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,001,245 times
I've noticed that about really thin older women. One in particular was very youthful looking but she had a huge butt and legs. When she lost it, she lost the youthful look in her face too. D#@%! Women have it rough in some areas, that's for sure. Age on a man is 'distinguised' but on women...BS! [grumbles inappropriate utterances to self]

Old 02-10-2009, 02:08 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,168,388 times
I know this to be true. I always look better when I keep on a few extra pounds. During the times I am more thin, because my body does weird stuff, I do look older because my face appears more haggard and wrinkles show up. I'm 53.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:42 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,435,815 times
I am 45 and a couple of years ago I lost some weight due to dental work (pulling of wisdom teeth). I saw some photos of myself and did not like the way I looked... about 7 pounds less. It wasn't hard to get that weight back on...

forum rules, please read them

Old 02-10-2009, 04:11 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,166,323 times
Well, the thinner the face, the more wrinkles are apt to show. Then again, my mother got carded a few months back for alcohol *cashier said she looked around 25*... so I don't think I have anything to worry about.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:42 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Having a little fat, does seem to minimize the wrinkles. Even 25 years ago, I remember there was a bubbly Frenchwoman living downstairs in my apartment building. I thought she was rather pretty. Then she started dating a man that wasn't that serious about her. In an effort to keep him, she started dieting and working out. She lost a lot of weight and I felt that made her look much older. I thought her more attractive when she was plumper, not that she was overweight to begin with.

Actresses like Holly Hunter and Sarah Jessica Parker look old and scary to me sometimes because of how lean they are all over. Especially in their face and hands. Without any fat, the veins and tendons in the hands really stick out. I think Katie Holmes looks awful now, she just looks too thin and much older to me.

I've been working on losing some weight. Since the fall, I've dropped from a size 12 to a size 10. I'm probably only shooting to get down to a size 8. I think that I would look too gaunt being a size 6, but we'll see. I'm also going very slowly with this so I don't end up with loose skin and needing skin tucks. My boyfriend doesn't want me looking like a skeleton, so he'll let me know if I'm getting too skinny for him. All he really has to do is fill the freezer with my favorite ice cream, and I'll plump back up. lol

Old 02-10-2009, 07:53 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
I thought it was pretty well known that a fatter face looks younger since it plumps out the wrinkles. But GAIN a few pounds....just to lose a couple of wrinkles??? No thanks.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:00 AM

562 posts, read 2,402,901 times
LOL Kuhari! About your mom I gained 10 pounds this winter ( i live in IN) and just got carded for wine last week and I am 40!

I still plan on dropping it before summer but apparently I look younger now!

I think it was Catherine Deneuve who said that after 30 a woman has to choose between her a** and her face. I choose my face, my a** has been fat since age 14, so I had to get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty